Repository Applications Update Information

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Glenn, May 17, 2015.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Have you tried the one from PortableApps.com instead? PortableAppZ.Blogspot.com uses (borrows) the same tech, I believe -- but not limited to FOSS like PortableApps.com.

2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I've never been able to figure it out. I think I even posted a question about it at one point somewhere but that was long ago.

Basically, you can set the "DisableSplashScreen=true" in the .ini file (for example, in the case of LibreOffice, 'LibreOfficePortable.ini' in the main dir), but only after you've run the program at least once. Once you run the program, the portable creates a "Data" folder in which you'll find a (hidden) .ini file (also 'LibreOfficePortable.ini') but it contains:

[LibreOfficePortable]
    LastDirectory=C:\ppApps\LibreOffice
    GoodExit=true​

Unless that file has been created and it has listed a hard path to the program's dir, it won't honor "DisableSplashScreen=true" in the .ini in the main dir. I've never found a way to circumvent this. Since we use ppApps our ppApps drives won't be on the same drive for everyone, causing the LastDirectory= value to trigger the splash screen again when we have the ppApp on a different drive.

It's a small thing but when you have various portable apps like that the only way I found is to set the .ini value to "true" manually after first run of the respective apps. There's got to be a better way!?

I guess I could be selfish and just include the C:\ path and then it would at least work for me as I keep ppApps on my C:\ drive :D But I don't know if that would mess anything up for people using other drives so I haven't done that. I always pack the apps before running them and don't include any Data folder.

3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

It's only a problem the first time you run it in a new location:

DisableSplashScreen=true

Place the above line in Data\LibreOfficePortable.ini regardless of the set LastDirectory={Path} and the 2nd time you run it, it will hide the splash screen, considering it's only the first run, it doesn't hurt.

There is no other solution to this problem because they coded it to do what it does, it should have %BaseDir% or something, but they never bothered.

Trouba likes this.
  4. The Freezer

If I remember correctly, the "LastDirectory=" line wasn't needed (I would omit it entirely) or replace the path with "LastDirectory=..\LibreOffice". I don't remember which worked. And as Glenn said, don't forget to include "DisableSplashScreen=true" in the Data folder's .ini-file.

Then simply place this (Data folder) .ini-file in the Patch.7z file.

Trouba likes this.
  5. Trouba

OK, I'll try all suggestions and see what works well enough. I would think that leaving the C:\ path in the Data folder .ini file would cause the app to generate a different path in the Data folder .ini when the app is being run from a different ppApp drive, so perhaps it doesn't matter if a given path would be present. But I'll test it, as I wouldn't want it to reset everything upon finding the wrong path, or something.

6. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

Those that are sick - you need to learn that being sick is bad for your health!

I have lost 3 people in the last couple of months due to pneumonia and am concerned about ANYONE that is getting sick right now.

7. Glenn

Trust me, I know I am sick, I've not bothered getting out of bed before 11:30am and been sleeping whenever I am able (due to coughing). I've been on school Holidays with my kids for the last 2 weeks and we've only left the house once in that time (to get groceries), I've not been able to concentrate on anything so I've not kept working on my projects and the few things I have done have been very small.

My fever broke 6 days ago, so I should be better by now, but maybe I had more than one virus at a time. It really does suck I never got the break during the holidays I wanted, but as you said, there are worse things. I am just lucky I don't have a job or care about money, I would have been in trouble had I needed to continue going to work.

8. Trouba

- 7+ Taskbar Tweaker v5.4.0 (Win7) -- I looked a bit closer at the options of this proggie and made some changes to the custom defaults. Now, double-clicking on an empty part of the taskbar will produce Task Manager. This way, you won't have to go to desktop (especially when you have numerous windows open) and right-click, etc. When you mousewheel-click (middle-click) on an empty part of the taskbar, it will mute/unmute the audio. Also, when you hover over any area of the system tray, you can scroll the mousewheel to adjust audio volume up and down. I found these to be pretty handy things. I also changed some other taskbar and pinned item behaviors. I kind of hate the thumbnail preview popups on items, but when they're completely gone I also don't like it. So I kept them but only have listed items pop up, not actual thumbnails of open windows. I also have it set to "cycle between taskbar buttons" so you can place your mouse cursor anywhere on the taskbar's open programs/windows and cycle through them by scrolling the mousewheel; this will make it easy to get to the desired open window/proggie. I think that's about it :)

- Updated naming from "Google Drive" to "Google Backup and Sync". BTW, SetupS is not picking up the app path for this correctly; the app installs to Program Files (x86) on x64 OS but the ssApp files get written to Program Files instead. This app doesn't require any patch.7z archives so it doesn't really matter.

9. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

Glenn, I know that. I just thought some humor might help.

10. Trouba

- Fixed a little bug I had overlooked in my settings for System Explorer v7.0.0 ppApp. The Snapshot feature of the app allows you to do before & after shots of your system, for example when you install an app or when you want to capture changing made in the registry or files when configuring apps, etc. Usually, one would scan drive C:\ and the registry, so I had it set to skip drives D:\ thru M:\ (or all other drives on most systems) but I forgot one semi-colon between the drive letters in the config file, causing my storage HDD to start scanning as I currently have more driver letters than before. So I fixed that and added some more drives so now it excludes D:\ thru T:\.

Someone must have updated System Explorer to v7.1.0 but that version sported no new features and only introduced adware to the app, which is why I kept it at v7.0.0. I guess enough people complained because now even the official site offers only v7.0.0 again. So I put 7.1.0 in archive again and put the fixed v7.0.0 back.

11. The Freezer

I'll take a look at it. I been wanting to do some tweaking on the OSArch side of things anyway, specifically DualArch. Also, some issues with AppPath (such as with the Start-in path)

12. Glenn

Yeah the fact Start-in path gets created when it wasn't there at all in the source is a bit of a pain for ppApps and ppGames as once my initial apps and games are installed to my small SSD I change it so the rest go to my slow Magnetic disk, and the Start-In breaks if I do a Regeneration from ssWPI or ssControl Panel due to %ppApps%\ %ppGames%\ not being on the original drive anymore.

13. Trouba

Somehow in DropBox ppApp the flags KeepInFolder and NotMetroFriendly got introduced so I fixed it (only points to one .exe) and am re-upping it now.

14. The Freezer

Should be fixed now. That and a few other fields with a similar problem.

15. The Freezer

That an ssEditor bug, do you suppose?

16. Trouba

I don't think so... I had not updated DropBox in a long time, but Glenn had been, so I download his v39 and used it as template in case something had changed about the program in the mean time. So it could be Glenn ticked something by accident.

The Freezer likes this.
  17. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I just installed Thunderbird_v52.5.0_ppApp.apz. The first time I then tried to run the app I got the following warning:

---------------------------

In a box with the heading of "Mozilla Thunderbird, Portable edition | PortableApps.com":

"Integrity Failure Warning: Mozilla Thunderbird, Portable Edition was installed or upgraded without using its installer ad some critical files may have been modified. This could cause data loss, personal data left behind on a shared PC, functionality issues, and/or may be a violation of the application's license. Neither the application publisher nor PortableApps.com will be responsible for any issues you encounter.

Would you like to start Mozilla Thunderbird, Portable edition in its current unsupported state?"

------------------------------

I assume this was due to the PortableApps.com version being turned into a "regular" ppApp, and it's probably fine, but the warning is disconcerting. I guess I could also just install PortableApps and launch it from there?

Anyway, can this be fixed, or what would be the way you would suggest I should handle this? I would prefer to use a ppApp version if possible, but I could also use the ssApp version if necessary.

18. Trouba

Hmm, haven't tried that one, maybe Mozilla added some sort of integrity check? Maybe Glenn can tell you what portable template he used or if he tested it because he uploaded it a few days ago.

19. Glenn

I uniextracted it. Meaning I may have to install the paf version and repackage it from its own folder. Yes it will be safe. But a new integrity test I wasn't aware of it at the time of building it.

I know ssEditor did add random options during the introduction of metro stuff. Also the sendto menu always use to be auto ticked on me (been fixed since). I rush through things without retesting them. I am going to have to keep a vm ready to test future apps. Sorry about any inconvenience caused.

bphlpt likes this.
  20. Trouba

Glenn, at some point we changed Notepad2 font to Consolas from Courier New. I wanted to change fonts for another app (Notepad3) but I was thinking you needed certain features of Consolas font or something, or maybe it was a Win10 or 4k display thing? I was getting a bit tired of the compressed look of Consolas and was looking into Trebuchet or Tahoma instead but then I remembered you had a reason for your preference of Consolas.

21. Glenn

I forget why but I will look into it first thing after sleep... I am thinking it would be the ability to telo the difference of i I 1 and l... Or 0 and O... But I will let you know asap

Trouba likes this.
  22. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I just heard of Notepad3 for the first time the other day. But I can't find any place where changes/improvements compared to Notepad2-mod are listed. When I look at both the Notepad2-mod and Notepad3 sites, and compare the "Changes compared to Notepad2", which they both list, the only differences I see are that Notepad3 adds syntax highlighting support for CoffeeScript and VHDL scripts. Notepad3 also has "prettier toolbar icons" and fixed some "bugs" (unspecified, and I'm not aware of any in the current Notepad2-mod release). [These differences are from the initial release announcement on 2016-07-20, but I have not been able to find anything more current.] Are those the only differences? Is there any other reason that anyone would want to use one over the other?

By the way, for XP users, Notepad3 dropped support for XP after build 450, while Notepad2-mod still supports XP with the latest release, and even supports Win2K using builds r856 and earlier.

The Freezer likes this.
  23. The Freezer

Glenn might like this. It's a bittorrent leecher mod sure to wreak havoc with private sites ;)

uSerenity -- a uTorrent (v2.2.1) Leecher Mod with DHT-Patch and NoReport:
    • DHT-Patch:
      Ignores the private flag, so DHT and Peer Exchange is enabled for ANY new torrent. – so you can get more peers and seeds on your torrents. Any torrent created using the "Private" flag will STILL be broadcast and shared on the DHT networking and will be able to find sources for downloaded torrents from private trackers.
    NOTE: It is possible some private trackers don't like the DHT patched versions and your account could get banned for using this on a private tracker; so beware and use with caution.
    • Be Seeder:
      Your “left to download” stat is always reported to tracker as 0%. *So that says you already have everything.
    • Be leecher:
      Your “left to download” stat is always reported to tracker as 100%. *So that says you didn’t download anything.
    • No report Download:
      Your download isn’t reported to the tracker. (always reported as zero) *So you don’t have to worry about your ratings and faking stats.
    • No report Upload:
      Your upload isn’t reported to the tracker. (always reported as zero) *So you don’t have to worry about your ratings and faking stats.
    • No report Corrupt:
      Your “downloaded corrupt file-parts” stat isn’t reported to tracker (always zero). *If you didn’t download anything, how come you downloaded something corrupt?!
    • Don’t announce Completed event:
      The completed event isn’t sent to the tracker. (No entry in the snatchlist or smth like that) *And yes it is really not reported, not like in other mods, here it just doesn’t send anything to tracker when you complete a torrent.
    • Connect tracker just Once on start to grab peers:
      You connect to tracker just once on .torrent start to grab peers, on timeout you will be removed from peerlist in torrent profile on tracker’s website
    • Upload Multiplier:
      Multiplies your uploaded stats being sent to tracker by a random number in the range you choose
    • FakeUpload:
      Every second after .torrent start random number in the range you choose is added to uploaded stat which will be sent to tracker depend less upload you or not, you can specify minimal amount of peers to be connected to in order to add fake upload (connected means currently uploading to)
    • Per Torrent settings:
      You can choose settings for each .torrent you has (noupload, nocomplete, fakeupload etc) using labels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Available:
    LastOS's Repo (http://repo.lastos.org/uSerenity_v2.2.1_ppApp.apz) or the ssTek mirror (http://files.lastos.org/uSerenity_v2.2.1_ppApp.apz)

Glenn likes this.
  24. The Freezer

FYI, uTorrent v2.2.1 was the last (free) version before going "freemium" (free with ads or pay a yearly subscription without ads). And wow, is it way faster than the (now) bloated v3.x! This is probably the "peak" version of uTorrent -- a very stable/bug-fixed version; and there have been no significant or useful new features (or bloatware) thereafter. Basically just minor updates to continue to get your money.

Much like MS Office 2003 actually. Speed, stability, features... Sometimes, newer isn't better.

[​IMG]

25. The Freezer

Lately I've been having issues with scroll mouse utilities becoming disabled/unhooked at random times for no apparent reason. (such as "Always Mouse Wheel", "KatMouse", "GigaMouse", etc.). I found this utility that has automatic re-hooking which I've been testing out for a little over a month now and it works great so far. :)

It's not open-source (it is freeware); but it's the only one I've found that stays put.

Available as both a ppApp or an ssApp:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Glenn and Trouba like this.