Runtime Software's Live CD or USB Stick

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by The Freezer, Mar 8, 2017.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Runtime Software, which develops data recovery tools such as DriveImage XML, have done something I think is pretty cool. They've released a Linux-based (Knoppix) bootable live system yet all their tools are native Windows-based. There's some Linux tools included (like GParted), but the Windows ones are sitting right next to them "seamlessly". I know they used WINE emulation but they made it look easy.

And since it's Knoppix, the bootable CD-ROM features automatic hardware detection and support for many network adapters, graphic cards, hard disk controllers, SCSI and USB devices, and other peripherals. Even touchscreens and wireless keyboards/mice. It's worked flawlessly on all the hardware I've thrown at it.

A lot of the rescue disks I've tried out don't recognize much of the hardware and simply failed to do me any good -- or exceedingly difficult -- because of the hardware issues. For example, can't restore an image from a NAS drive because of a laptop's unrecognized network adapter (wired or wireless).

Trouba likes this.