Solved - Windows 10 LTSC and 'Reset This PC' feature - FAILS

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Ghost, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

EDIT Solved: - Read my last post in this thread.

EDIT: I renamed the thread it to match the specified issue within the OS feature itself

As I have been using my LTSC with legit key for almost a year I just come to realize I can not do a PC reset, it fails no matter what way I take.

I read that the KB - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4524244/security-update-for-windows-10-february-11-2020

has something to do with this issue, in my case read on, I tried different ways to get it to work, I installed a vanilla LTSC 1809 and same thing, I even went as far as to install legit LTSC on a single SSD and activated it with my key, made a few changes and did a PC Reset, Failed.

The KB above has issues later than the RTM of LTSC, so here I am trying to figure out why this is happening?

Also, I did install a legit vanilla Windows 10 Pro and Reset PC works. What am I missing, same hardware and everything, just the 2 vanilla OS's 1 fails.

I am almost ready to ditch LTSC if this can not be fixed, I help many people like we all do and I didn't realize this is broken in LTSC.

This has nothing to do with System Restore like in Win 7. I have been beating my pc up trying to find out why, and I have no answer so far.

Any Idea's

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

So Win 10 Pro works? What other OS's have you tried and had work.

I am thinking either BIOS or driver related as it's too unique of a problem.

Have you tried running CMD as admin and type:
    shutdown -r -t 1

You have weird power and chip options in BIOS that can do weird things. I need more info to help tho. If it's only LTSC then it has to be a conflict of hardware causing the problem.

3. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

Yes legit Pro 1803 Reset PC works, just legit LTSC 1809 fails, same hardware and all.
    I am still probing into this as there has to be a end to this some how ( for me LOL ).

Mainboard - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/

Latest bios, all drivers are up to date, I do a clean install in a VM or live and no drivers in either ( except in the VM where it uses its driver stuff ) and Pro resets PC works, and LTSC fails to Reset PC.

I also disconnect all my drives except the 1 SSD and DVD drive for live installs, all this with vanilla untouched images both Pro and LTSC.

I am going to run that CMD line now and find what that gives me.

EDIT: CMD line just restarted system as usual, I am thinking since LTSC is a Enterprise edition the Reset This PC is broke for that reason ? could it? yea double Q there

20200702_123658.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  4. Glenn

Nah I can't find any info about this being a problem enough to solve it, but your probably one of the few who would rather use Microsoft "Reset This PC" over a HDD Image taken with Active or Terabyte etc. If you really need to factory restore a PC can you use System Restore instead of Reset?

5. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

Well it started with the reg tweak that disables updates ( in other thread ), and it snowballed in my mind after I could not reset my live system to undo it and from there I have been beating my head against the wall to find a fix.

The only way that I would know it was my system only, is if someone installed a vanilla LTSC in a VM no tweaks or anything and did a 'reset this pc' and find if it fails or works for them.

But yes, I am going to reinstall my LTSC that I been on for some time now and start a System restore point when needed, since MS likes to hand out crappy updates that break everything lately LOL.

6. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

Well after many days of banging my head against the wall, I finally figured it out, it was the partition ( 549mb ) that was not on the same drive as the OS.

Problem solved LOL

Glenn likes this.
  7. Glenn

So a Microsoft oversight that caused it to fail?

8. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

Yes!

Dumb.png

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020