Ad Blocking and best internet extensions

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Glenn, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

The sheer number of new IP addresses everyday would overwhelm any hosts file. The fact many digital protection agencies will be using 5g devices within a year or two means it will be impractical to block via the hosts method, so you best get looking for an alternative solution already, i've personally not looked for anything yet so no real advice to offer until I do. Tor was on the right track with how to handle things due to key encryption blocking prying eyes but that doesn't stop the source knowing who you are and those bastards set traps for innocent people just wanting to watch a tv show they missed last night.

So p2p doesn't work unless it is your own network with no public access. No known solutions yet.

2. Glenn

Added following info to main post, it's worth knowing about as it fix the issue of windows popping up randomly while interacting with other webpages.

Code:
    Here is another Chrome Extension that I now can not live without, it disables Java on each webpage you want it disabled on:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-javascript-switcher/geddoclleiomckbhadiaipdggiiccfje?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

So if you go to a webpage and it opens a popup window/tab when you click on any element (including buttons and background pictures or following a link) then this will stop it from being able to run the code that does so, VERY handy for stubborn pages that refuse to stop with the ad warfare!

An added bonus is that search features still operate as they are php based and everything is finally right with my browsing experience.

bphlpt and The Freezer like this.
  3. Glenn

Here is the complete list of my Extensions for Chrome:

AdBlock - I block my Ads
    Chrono Download - I manage my downloads instead of just having them on a bar at the bottom of the browser that you have to close off every time you download something
    Dark Reader - I run dark themed webpages instead of bright white eye burning things so I can concentrate on the information
    Dark Theme for Google - I run dark themed google pages instead of bright white eye burning things so I can concentrate on the information
    HTTPS Everywhere - I now Encrypt all my browser data (Thanks Team)
    ImprovedTube - I make YouTube play at 1.5 times speed with a dark theme so I can get more info in a shorter time
    Neater Bookmarks - I have my bookmarks available from a pop-down menu that also allows simple sorting/editing of my bookmarks
    One Window - I have one browser window as I do NOT want any websites being able to spawn new windows for ads and other dodgy reasons
    Quick Java Switcher - I Disable Java as it is one of the easiest ways to stop malware and unwanted features on ANY website
    Tampermonkey - Tampermonkey is only there to allow AdBlock's addon scripts to be applied so I don't have all the Social Media buttons, Ads and other known malware scripts etc

If anyone else has other Extensions they feel are worth sharing for any reason please comment on here as I have never been happier with how I see the web :)

unitop4, bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  4. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Quick Java Switcher works great! That definitely took care of some annoyances. Thanks Glenn!

Glenn, could you please provide details about the script used with AdBlock that blocks the Social Media buttons, etc? I'm not sure what you mean. For all I know I might be using it and not realize it. LOL

Other Chrome extensions I use or have used in the past are: (Some of these might have been mentioned above by either Freezer or me.)

Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller - Make scroll behavior smooth, ease-in-out manner, customizable with dynamically plotted curve.
    Disconnect - Make the web faster, more private, and more secure (and it's open sourced)
    Flashcontrol - Block Flash from loading automatically and allow content only on selected sites
    KB SSL Enforcer - Automatic security, browse encrypted. (This works fine - I used to use it before switching to HTTPS Everywhere because it was updated more recently - I haven't noticed any major differences.)
    LastPass - Free Password Manager - I've used this for many years
    OneTab - Save up to 95% memory and reduce tab clutter
    Remove ads from Pirate Bay - Helps remove popups at PB
    SafeBrowse - Navigate without waiting in Adfly, Linkbucks and other similar sites. No more waiting, no more annoying advertising
    Webmail Ad Blocker - Block ads on the right side of the screen when using Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail and Outlook.com
    Xmarks Bookmark Sync - Another one that I have used for many years across many machines and platforms - I don't know how Neater Bookmarks compares.

Between all of the extensions mentioned above and throughout this thread there is bound to be some overlap in function. I have done very little customizing of the various extensions, I just loaded them and pretty much used all of the defaults. If anyone has the time, willingness, and inclination to see what options might be available in some of them which might alleviate the need for some of the others that would be great.

unitop4, Glenn and The Freezer like this.
  5. Glenn

Clipboard_20170607.png

I can't remember if you used adblock or adblock plus, plus doesn't offer the antisocial list, it is enabled via Anti-Adblock Killer (Reek) when you subscribe https://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/#filterlist to the anti ad blocker step 2 (I think, could have been user filters), but it gives the option to enable AntiSocial, which is only a mild change, but my Youtube and all websites no longer offer Share features (as I do share like this from my phone only so taking up screen and memory on my PC is a waste).

-EDIT-

Thanks BP, I have added to my list, that smooth scroll is icing on cake :)

-EDIT-

Safe browse is conflicting with my outlook causing it to refresh continuously (I think trying to load the side ads)

6. bphlpt

Yep, I use AdBlock. I just had not looked at the Filter List page. Thanks Glenn. :)

7. Glenn

Updated first post
    Addon for Ad Blockers:

* (Obsoleted use below) Anti-Adblock Killer (Reek) - This script (requires Tamper or Grease Monkey) helps you keep your Ad-Blocker active, when you visit a website and it asks you to disable. Some extra scripts allow you to hide Social Media sharing etc to make browsing more Anti Social and more about researching for yourself without distraction.

AAK-Cont - This updated script (requires Tamper or Grease Monkey) helps you keep your Ad-Blocker active, when you visit a website and it asks you to disable. Some extra scripts allow you to hide Social Media sharing etc to make browsing more Anti Social and more about researching for yourself without distraction.

The Freezer and bphlpt like this.
  8. bphlpt

Thanks, Glenn.

Just to make sure I did this correctly, I installed the AAK-Cont script, and disabled and removed the Reek one from TamperMonkey, then I subscribed to the new filter list from GitLab, and checked my AdBlock Options to verify that the new custom Filter List was there and enabled. So all is good.

BUT, the "AakList (Anti-Adblock Killer)" is also still listed and enabled in the AdBlock Options, and says it was just updated. Isn't that the Reek one? If it's no longer in TamperMonkey, then is this doing anything? Should I disable this? Will it be removed, eventually, from the options page if I do? When I tried to disable it and refreshed the page it was still there, so I re-enabled it. I'm confused. ( So what's new. LOL )

9. Glenn

I don't think it matters what "extras" you have in the filter list, your welcomed to untick them if your worried about speed and/or connecting to the old site. I left them both in mine and no side effects, I also removed it from TamperMonkey to stop the upgrade to AAK message.

bphlpt likes this.
  10. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

on a MAC cmd+w will close a browsers Tab

Glenn likes this.
  11. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I am astonished that NoScript is not mentioned here, I use it in Firefox for many years as staple extension. Not sure it is also made for Chrome, I use Chrome only as a secondary browser for websites that I use minimal or no protection on, kind of like IE in older days.

I use NoScript alongside Adblock Plus and this year I also started using uBlock Origin after somebody recommended it for those pesky parts of web pages that stubbornly keep their place.

NoScript is perhaps eliminating the need for hosts file?

12. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I've also been using uBlock Origin for a while now, I think it's great.

13. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Also, the Opera browser has many security features built-in such as an ad-blocker.

opera-settings-block.ads.png

14. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I always found Opera too 'dense', hard to figure out how to use it, even when it came to fairly basic things. I gave it a chance off and on over the years, maybe I will look at it again, thanks for the tip, reminding us of it.

15. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

And thank you for the "uBlock Origin" tip. I'd never heard of it before and it seems more comprehensive than Adblock Plus I had been using before so I installed the Opera extension for uBO (and disabled ABP) to give it a whirl.

So far it looks to working okay; but I noticed that it also doesn't get past various sites' adblock countermeasures -- which I'm guessing I probably just don't have the anti-adblock filter list(s) for. :what:

--EDIT:
    This is a pretty cool list (http://filterlists.com) and they make it super easy to import a particular list into whatever ad-blocker you're using -- just click the "Subscribe" button. I'm trying the anti-adblock from there now. :)

vanTorX likes this.
  16. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I suppose you talk about the "AakList (Anti-Adblock Killer)" BTW wasn't there an Aak or similar nick on SITP? Might be his list? But I might associate that with n0ak, could even have been his alt nick for all I know.

I also subscribed to it since you brought it to my attention, if that is what I think it think it is, like when you come to a site and it pops up the notice that you use some addblocking and won't allow you in unless you disable it. Mostly if you dismiss it you are let in anyway, if not, usually it is a place I don't need to really see and close it. But as you say some websites are clever alecks, it is a constant fight ;)

I don't use lists in addblockers so far, except now I am trying the one you suggested :emoji_cool:, and get by just fine (I think LastOS tweaks installs hosts list, I guess it can't hurt but as you discussed above, it has its shortcomings like everything). I am very allergic to animations and popups, I suppose like mostly everybody who is not teen and grew up with it. Some actually like it I think. :eek:

As they say, usually you need to use a combination of two or three blocking solutions to catch it all, in my case I think the NoScript fends off the brunt of add attacks for me, maybe that's why I get by without those imported lists. You can set it to allow main domain(s) by default when you first visit a site (so you get at least the basics to load right away), then if you notice something doesn't work, you allow more and more related referrer sites (usually imgs, video and captchas etc are pulled in from different urls... and with some practice and guess you figure which ones are those you need to allow).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    bphlpt, The Freezer and Glenn like this.
  17. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I found a new browser, called Brave and tested it for the last two weeks and it delivers what it promises - ad blocking built in among other things for which it is touted, like fast page loading. Since I already used NoScript and Ublock Origin to block ads in Google Chrome, I don't see much speed increase in Brave browser.

Brave browser allows install of many Chrome extensions, including two of my staple ad blocking extensions, No-Script and Ublock Origin, but it looks like you don't need those, I installed them and ran them alongside but now disabled the NoScript and only keep Ublock Origin active to catch some things that are not considered ads.

At one point, I almost went back to Google Chrome because I was getting ads on some of my favorite news pages but then I found I didn't have activated Script blocking on those pages (they linked to different website for which the script blocking was OFF for some reason). You need to click on Shield icon in address bar and check that you have 'Scripts Blocked' switched ON.

There is no need to participate in allowing some ads in and collecting BAT points for them, browser is otherwise pretty well like Google Chrome browser with only some small differences.

I only wish there was setting to make links from bookmarks or from address bar open in new tab, also when you duplicate a tab, that the browser would switch to that 'new' tab. But that is the same in Google Chrome, from which this Brave browser has split.

I also decry you can't use Back key to go back, same as in Google Chrome, need to use Alt-left arrow which is not bad as such since I have reversed Ctrl-Alt keys so that I have the modifying key right next to the arrow. It is just a matter of standardization.
    First Macs needed to be different, so they put things that MS had on right to left window corner and also didn't use Back key to go back in browser, later on Google aped Apple with putting refresh icon to the left of browser address bar and disabled Back key for going back... I think Home icon used to be on right side of address bar, at least they keep window minimize, maximize and closing icons in the same place, not on left as Macs have it (Mac also totally destroyed the function of the middle icon, the one which on PC 'maximizes/minimizes' window, never could figure out what was the idea behind it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    unitop4, zdevilinside, Glenn and 2 others like this.
  18. unitop4

unitop4 GUINEA PIG TESTER

ublock origin: is another good extension for blocking ads.

Trouba likes this.
  19. Steve Hedges

Steve Hedges belveder

A bit old but what the, I use Ublock Origin and NoScript on Vivaldi browser