Miscellaneous discussion (SetupS)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Trouba, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Code:
    [File Explorer.lnk.WIN_10]
    Target=
    Description=Displays the files and folders on your computer.
    Icon=%windir%\explorer.exe
    Default=%Programs%\System Tools
    Catalog=
    Shortcut=
    [Run.lnk.WIN_10]
    Target=
    Icon=%windir%\system32\shell32.dll
    Index=-25
    Default=%Programs%\System Tools
    Catalog=
    Shortcut=
    Sorry I don't have Quick Assist, I never removed it so don't know why I don't, running Win 10 Pro x64.

2. Glenn

Here is the actual .lnk's if the above is incomplete, dunno why the target is blank.

Attached Files:

3. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Universal Apps, maybe?

If I remember correctly, peeking at the properties of a Universal app's shortcut will show the target is disabled.

Glenn likes this.
  4. Glenn

I just noticed that if you install a ppGame it will create a StartIn= in the link target section even if it never had one set. This would be fine, but with ppGames you can actually move them around out of the X:\ppGames\ folder to Y:\ppGames\ if the HDD is getting full, this stops it from working with ssWPI or any shortcuts being made as the drive letter for %ppGames% is different to the manually move to drive. Not sure why you would want a StartIn= when the exe is in the root path anyway, that happens automatically.

Up to you if you think it's worth changing this, just something I noticed.

5. The Freezer

Yeah, I see what you mean. But, I, for the life of me, cannot remember what possible reason I had for doing that. Most of the time Startin is the same as %AppPath%; and if left blank defaults to %AppPath% anyway. Plus, all the paths -- Target, Icon, etc.even StartIn -- are all relative to the %AppPath%. The only mandatory (non-blank) requirements for a shortcut are its Link Name and Target. :what:

I'll take a closer look, I can't imagine that that was a random decision.

Glenn likes this.
  6. Glenn

I hope you mean as well as.. because I will have a heap of apps to go and update otherwise. So do you still support reading the old flag for backwards compatibility?

7. The Freezer

Yes, of course. :)

In fact, the previous version(s) had supported the flags as "Is_x86"/"Is_x64" and not as "Is_86"/"Is_64" so they would end-up creating both shortcuts (with the same name) usually the x64 version being the "survivor" and not working on an x86 OSArch. A re-save with ssEditor (or a manual edit changing them to "Is_x86"/"Is_x64") would actually "fix" the bug using a previous version of SetupS. But I'm not certain how long it'd been around or how it'd gone for so long without being noticed. And why did I choose those strings to begin with? They are not consistent with the convention I had already established with the folder naming or the OSArch gates used elsewhere in the specs.

Bottom-line is that those odd flags, "Is_86"/"Is_64", were what was causing the real the bug.

A weird bug for sure; but fear not. I prepared the latest to work using either set of flags.

bphlpt and Glenn like this.
  8. The Freezer

While I'm at it, might not be a bad idea to add #Is_x86# / #Is_x64# as well ... would be even more consistent and even less confusing.

I'm also wondering how many ppApps are using Is_86 / Is_64 flags. It's proving a bit of a challenge as the Type 2b's (2>2) are clearly marked with "_DualArch"; but the Type 2a's (2>1) are not obvious from their filenames and have to be dismantled to reveal the _x86 & _x64 folder structures and/or the shortcut def flags for dual-arches. :what:

Trouba likes this.
  9. The Freezer

So far I've only found 2 ppApps using the "Is_86" / "Is_64" flags. The others were using "Is_x86" / "Is_x64" flags.

I would say they were anomalies except the "Is_86" / "Is_64" flags are mentioned in the ssTek help file included with SetupS (the previous version -- I've updated the references for v17.12.3.0).

That's a good thing -- and maybe why it went unnoticed for so long -- because it was those flags ("Is_86" / "Is_64") that were causing the bug.

10. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I've only ever used "Is_x64" / "Is_x86", I'm pretty sure.

11. The Freezer

I just noticed recently that the "pop-outs" for ssEditor's graphics are broken in Windows 8.1 -- which means they probably don't work on Windows 10 either.

I've confirmed they still work on XP/2003, and I think they work on Windows 7 (I still need to confirm, though). So not sure why they're broken in Windows 8 or even how to fix it. Probably no biggie since it went unnoticed for so long.

12. Trouba

How can I test this on Win7? Not sure what you meant by "pop-outs".

13. The Freezer

LOL, kind of makes my point ;)

Here an example:
    ssEditor.pop-out1.png ssEditor.pop-out2.png ssEditor.pop-out3.png

Trouba likes this.
  14. Trouba

Hehe, yeah I don't use that. But it works on Win7 x64!

15. The Freezer

Here's what I'm getting with Windows 8.1 ... sort of a vertical blind thing:
    ssEditor.pop-out4.png ssEditor.pop-out5.png

16. Trouba

Must be that wondrous new UI :D

17. Trouba

Just a quick note: When I made the dual-arch browser ppApps (including Thunderbird right before it), I didn't realize that giving the shortcuts for the x64 and x86 different names wouldn't work. I did, for example, "Firefox Portable x64" for x64 OS, and left the x86 version as "Firefox Portable". Well, that won't work. On x86 OS this results in not getting a shortcut created. I see most of us use x64 OS or I would have heard about it by now :D So, in short, I have to just name them "Firefox Portable" and give the {#1} and {#2} designators as I normally did. When the apps were single-arch it of course didn't matter and you could name the shortcuts anything you want, but if you name them different using these designators then SetupS will autocorrect them upon save so either way it's a no-go. I fixed it already but will upload them all later. Just glad I caught it kind of early :emoji_anguished:

The Freezer likes this.
  18. The Freezer

Sorry, I didn't look at them too closely; otherwise I would've warned you about the issue. Last year I was having similar problems so I updated ssEditor to (hopefully) fix my errors or at least make it a little easier to create dual-arch apps. I think that was the last update for SetupS. Has it already been a year?

19. Trouba

Yep, it's been that long, but then things have been working rather well with SetupS. I haven't checked if there any additional start menu sorts on newer Win10's, that might be worth looking into if you're planning an update.

20. The Freezer

So far, SetupS can only handle traditional shortcuts. Still not sure what to do with those UWP-shortcuts; not that there is any worth worrying about I imagine (or tailor it to solely the LTSB/LTSC's)

21. Trouba

Yeah, I think you're right. It does 98% of the work as it is, so we can always clean up our start menus a bit manually, so we remember what most people have to contend with :D

22. Glenn

I figure people who want UWP-shortcuts usually don't bother with LastOS Menu sorting and just keep a standard Start Menu, the few who do use a Classic Start type of menu are competent to sort the few remaining items, so consider it done. I am pretty sure there is nothing new in the menu that needs adding, the Administrative Tools menu is forced now (has items that wont move), so maybe we can look in to leave that standard now for Windows 10 as to not create duplicated links? not really important tho so if you disagree then leave it as is :D sorting works and has done for a long while now.

23. The Freezer

Yes, and aren't most of the control panel, pc settings, etc. UWP's now? Worse the options and settings are so severely limited or so simplistic to be of any use or help at all. Kind of makes you wonder why they even bothered (to make those applets).

At least with Windows 8(.1), we still have the old NT Desktop applets to fall back onto with more options and advanced settings.

I wonder if there's any way to "install" these old desktop applets/controls to Windows 10? (or if anyone's already done it -- Kels maybe?). It seems feasible to me since just about every app from from Windows 95 era -- and even those from Windows 3.1 era, I've found -- still works on Windows 10 -- well, the 16-bit ones would only work on Windows 10 x86; but still... :coffee:

24. Glenn

I know MS did a lot of API redirects to bypass having to rewrite all the cpl calls, meaning they may just redirect your call to the new UWP versions instead even if you call them with the old one, as for the GUI side, I guess it should still work as expected, we'd have to try and see, they did disable CPL's from being executable I thought tho?

25. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Sorry to say, but AFAIK, Kels is completely out of the scene, has let his site go over a year (or two?) ago, and no longer makes or even updates any of his apps in any way. I can't even remember when the last time was that he made a comment on any of the usual sites (RyanVM, MSFN, etc) that he used to frequent. Besides, he expressed feelings of total revulsion regarding Win 10, and pretty much everything past Win 7, so I doubt he would have had any interest in furthering the use of those OS.