they are here - something you wish you could have

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by pacav69, Sep 18, 2017.

1. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

What you can do if you have lots money to spend on an upgrade.

more here
    Samsung 850 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III 6GB/s 3D V-NAND SSD MZ-75E4T0

[​IMG]

SKU # AB93253 | Model # MZ-75E4T0BW

Samsung 850 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III 6GB/s 3D V-NAND SSD MZ-75E4T0 - Read Speed: Up to 540 MB/s - Write Speed: Up to 520 MB/s - Max 98,000 IOPS - Samsung MHX controller - AES 256-bit Full Disk Encryption - 7mm - 5 Years Warranty

Brand Samsung
    Read / Write (MB/sec) Read: Max 540 MB/s
    Write: Max 520 MB/s
    Maximum 4K Random Write Max: 90,000 IOPS
    Capacity 4TB
    Controller Samsung MHX controller
    Interface SATA III
    Form Factor 2.5"

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

That's more like it, 100% off once it ships.

Samsung is moving forward at a delirious pace with EVERYTHING. It's scary, really. I have a Galaxy S6 that has wireless charging. It is *rumored* that Apple will release the iPhone 8, 2 years later, with wireless charging. What worries me is lithium battery tech. There are so many companies mass-producing those batteries but even Samsung messed up with them, resulting in fires. Now those batteries are bursting on the scene in powerful cordless tools that even run miter and table saws.

3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-09-07/safer-lithium-ion-batteries-closer-to-reality/8869748

They are working on improving it's safety still.

I follow battery tech and have done for many years, but NOTHING has entered the market that I have ever read about, I think the companies don't really care because it's such a low rate of failure that it's cheaper for them to just pay out anyone whose face gets destroyed or "reimburse" the family if the bed catches fire and burns someone to a crisp....

The fact that you can start a COLD car with just a palm sized Lithium Ion battery shows just how dangerous they are.

4. pacav69

Its a 4TB 2.5" SATA III SSD which has been a long time coming. Now its just a matter of time before the prices of the lower capacities come down.

5. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Currently listed at Newegg.com:

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 4 TB SATA III - $1,499.00 USD
    MTFDDAK7T6TBY-1AR1ZA - Micron 5100 ECO 2.5" 7.50 TB SATA - $2,636.49 USD
    SAMSUNG 960 PRO 2 TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 M.2 - $1,234.34 USD

So larger capacities, in terabytes per cubic inch, are already available compared to the 4 TB Samsung. But I also saw mention somewhere recently that memory prices in general have been increasing a little lately and as a result the prices of SSD's of all types have not been decreasingas quickly as they were for a while. But you're right that it's just a matter of time.

6. Glenn

7. pacav69

get one tommorow and sell it for a 20% more next month when the prices of memory go up :)

8. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Wow, that's even smaller than my car's "Mr. Fusion"; but it does save me a ton of money on my water & sanitation bill. :p

9. Glenn

I dunno, it would take a bit to run your flux capacitor.

10. The Freezer

I've got the Celeron version

11. Glenn

So limited to jumps of 2-3 years at a time?

12. The Freezer

Yeah, and it has a tendency to crash if I don't disable the 8-track player first

13. Trouba

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/ne...l&utm_term=0_2565529c4b-788b98931c-271002865/

14. Glenn

At least diamonds are abundant on earth... not that the price reflects it or the meaning for some of it's current uses -

First sign of affection when you marry, Look how much the people of earth suckered me in to paying for a compressed rock, imagine how much money we can continue to waste or be tricked out of in the future.

Fun fact, my wife and I have never worn our wedding rings since the ceremony.

15. Trouba

I had to take mine off because it was irritating my skin :) I also recently read there is like 14 trillion ton of gold in the ocean (or some huge number) water but it is present in tiny form that will cost too much to extract. It would probably be better to just get some ocean water to cool off the lithium batteries :D