How would you go about this???

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by zdevilinside, Oct 13, 2017.

1. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

I am trying to help a friend out. Their job requires them to be based out of a specific city. Unfortunately for them, they have to leave that town for a family emergency. Their work will not allow them to work from their home city. They have to use a specific system (Chromebook) to VPN into their company servers. They do not have admin rights on the system.

If they cannot work, they will lose their job; the boss will not let them have time off and they cannot afford to be without a job. They are in Phoenix, AZ at their Mom's house and their home is in Longmont, CO. They need to make it look like they are in Longmont, CO because they are only allowed to work from Longmont.

How would you go about doing this if you were in this position? They have multiple desktops in Longmont that can be used as a proxy server or VPN server but I would have to set it up for them remotely. They have routers in both places that Tomato firmware installed on them.

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp

They would have to leave the chromebook at home, install the above addon on it, make sure the ports it needs are open (or DMZ the chromebook's ip address). Then they will need to take a Windows Laptop with them, log in to the Chromebook at home to use the VPN via the chromebook, there is no other way you could do this on a locked down system, so if they are unable to install RDP software on the chromebook then they wont really have any other options.

3. zdevilinside

Okay. I will see if I can get it working for them when I am there next week. The Chromebook is locked down pretty damn tightly from what I have seen/heard so I doubt that they will be able to get the RDP installed.

I was hoping that I could do a VPN from the router in Arizona with OpenVPN to a Windows 10 system that I have installed VPN server on at home. That would make it so that when she logged in to the router, it would automatically open a VPN to the Longmont, CO location. The problem would then be to have the chromebook work properly with the workplace VPN which is less than ideal. :(

I wonder if I can create an SSH session from the router where she is to the network at the other side and then have her tunnel through then VPN to work? Does that make any sense?

4. zdevilinside

They use a token to login to the system in the first place so I doubt we are going to be able to do anything on the system itself.

Do you know if a KVM over Internet would work? She could leave the laptop at home but looked up to the KVM and then remote into it. I wonder if audio would also transmit if that would work. She needs a headset to answer VoIP phone calls through the work network.