Building with the Last20 Install Scripts

Discussion in 'LastOS-Based Mods Released By Other Members' started by 00Proteus00, Apr 20, 2021.

1. 00Proteus00

00Proteus00 Active Member

@Glenn

I was wondering if I can get your permission to modify the Last20 Builder scripts for usage to build a TeamOS build. The builders there, some of them, like the approach you use here for OS's and want to try it out.

I made the Visual Basic install process a while back, and would love to modify it for TeamOS.

I realize that most would just run with it and do it anyways, but Im different. I like to get authors permission before using portions or pieces of their work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOTE: Ive already posted this in our "private" builders talk. NO modifications done yet tho.

xDaemon and Xanthy like this.
  2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

This is Glenn's brainchild so hopefully he'll come on one of these days to reply. I'm sure he would be fine with it, and would appreciate you asking anyway.

3. 00Proteus00

That would be neat. Tomecar (a long standing builder/member since 2014) has come out of semi-retirement, and contacted me and a few other of our builders, and started a separate chat channel just for us to come together on a unified building technique. He even mentioned Last OS way of doing things. Im sure you went thru it here too, but it is HARD to get 6 builders on the SAME page as far as building goes. We all do things just a little differently than each other, and getting people to CHANGE to meet the groups needs is proving difficult at best. Thats where I came up with the idea to use his scripts and modify them. Personally, I dont see it taking off just yet, but I think if they get serious about it then they will see that the Last OS way is totally unified with builds between different members.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  4. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Glad you guys enjoy my approach, I did know years and years ago we should unite and combine (actually my 2nd public OS mod was called LastXP v13 Combined (December 2006) for that very reason, I combined everyone's ideas into one automatic and self building OS / Builder), so I am all for it now, you can even ask me for help with some thing you may get stuck on, I really don't want to take lead of this stuff anymore as it's not something I spend my time doing or keeping up with at all now. But I would love for it to finally happen, the only request is if you have modified the builder scripts that you please consider sharing what you can publicly so things can continue to be picked up by even more people for the good of everyone and not just the select few... Keep your specialty modifications out of the public if you wish, but the more open it is the longer your legacy can continue IMO, one build has a limited life, but the automation and simplicity of your tools really do last for a long time to come - if only as a concept or idea to spark future developments.

In short yes, go ahead and do as you wish, I don't claim control or ownership of my work, if you make millions from things I'd like it freely given out of generosity and not any other reason ;) Just as I promised my team that if I ever made money I'd feed it back to the team, knowledge is worth more to me than money though - always has been and peoples time is priceless!!!

Take care and shoot me PM's or start threads etc etc, I am happy to help when I have the time to do so.

*EDIT*

It was actually LastXP v15 that was made with my first builder not v13 that was only combining ideas and apps, not the builder, I did make a ISO updater to apply fixes and updates in v14 though.

xDaemon, -c0dez3ro-, Trouba and 2 others like this.
  5. mircea

mircea Member

My first LastOs was V22...i still miss old XP.Any chance for a last final XP build Glenn?

6. 00Proteus00

I appreciate it sir. Seems interest has waned a bit. Could be because Im not going to be active for the next 2 months, or could be they are getting cold feet. Started out with 6 forum thread pages in discussion in the first 3 days, then the crickets showed up (chirp-chirp).....

I would ALWAYS give credit to the original authors, and make sure they got updated copies of our progress, so they can give pointers and advice with problem areas. I believe in the FREE sharing of ideas and open source software.

Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me in the past, and hopefully in the future too :) As far as $$$, lol, I'd be afraid to charge for M$ Products in fear of Bill's minions showing up and relieving me of all my electronics :( BUT, in the case i were to ever make a dollar, I'd at least offer you 50 cents :)

Michael740 and Glenn like this.
  7. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

50 cents... I'd only offer you an Eminem :D

00Proteus00 and The Freezer like this.
  8. xDaemon

xDaemon New Member

Not all people will ask for permission to use and make some modifications! They will also try to make money from it! I am happy that there are still people who have honor and respect other people's work! So guys keep you work and make us happy with your amazing builds! Thanks!

9. Michael740

Michael740 New Member

So I was just looking around and found this I think I found an old disk of this LastXP v13 because I used it back in the day funny thing to hear the author mention the build I used way back when. Cool and great build. So I thought I would comment Thanks

Glenn likes this.