Win 11 Enterprise IoT LTSC new build is on the net ..

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ghost, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

First look at a 24H2 version of Windows 11 Enterprise IoT LTSC

.. - https://archive.org/details/@he_zheng

Though it is still in 'Insider Preview' , there is a chance that things have improved since the first build I got that was from August of 2023, this is a April 01 2024 date stamped internally in the .iso.

Torrent in a .7z below for quick download, I got it in a few minutes.

Test and discover ...

Untitled.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Trouba likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

There is no water mark so that is good :sneaky:

3. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

It's very clean -- almost too clean :emoji_eyes:

No updates available yet on WU in the VM, except MSRT and Defender updates. I comes with latest Edge & Webview2, which is weird, and seems to have classic Notepad (I guess the latter makes sense if they indeed are stripping out all modern app stuff). Small .wim file -- it'll be smaller once I'm through with it :D

I captured it after sysprep, so far everything up to that point working alright. The Start Menu is STRIPPED. I installed it in VM with internet connection, no app updating or anything.

Ghost likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I was surprised I was able to work with the 23H2 version enough to get myself a really nice vanilla install before I found this 24H2.

I do run it in vanilla as for now as it could change, but I like what I see so far ( from using both versions )

I just wish ( yea rite ) they would allow of changing the start menu area better for vanilla use, of course there is other ways to have what you want for a start menu.

Freaking MS Edge is my main POS app I see, Defender is fine once I shut it down, it is there and fine, I put it in coma is all LOL

Trouba likes this.
  5. Trouba

I was going to just clean the install.wim a bit before final compression, and may make one with Edge/Webview2 and one without. Hard to stomach that 1.94gb folder for a browser (well, and webview tech). I really do hope they keep it this simple and small (even with Edge it is smaller than usual) and that the modern app situation stays this way. I don't know, this comes across to me as a tweaked/personalized build rather than a direct MS snapshot, but I could be wrong. MS is not usually this efficient, nor do they normally have it tweaked to have this many annoyances disabled by default. I did read some people put it through virus scanners and it appears clean.

They should put in a toggle in Personalization somewhere, to have the default start menu open to (All) Programs; it's so retarted to have to click on that every time. They also need to disable showing "Recommended" if the regtweak to disable its listed content is utilized. I don't use the default start menu normally, but haven't tested if any of the alternatives work on this (or going forward). Even on earlier Windows it wouldn't open to all programs, you'd have to use ClassicShell and give it a long pause on the revert, so that Programs would stay open as the main view in the start menu.

EDIT: I do wonder, since the WebP and other extensions are absent from the Program Files\WindowsApps folder, if there is any support for certain media formats. On lite builds I had to figure out to keep certain ones, but they are absent in this image. I'll have to check that later on resulting install(s) to see if those need adding in there from another source iso.

Ghost likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

There was 1 app I used about 2 weeks ago that did just that as to open start to 'All apps' only, I think it was explorer patcher ... I will check

Disable 'Recommended' is done by Scaling down on the display settings and such but it is not totally 'gone' and from what I read it will not be, but that is what explorer patcher does also.

Trouba likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Well, Explorer Patcher does not work in 24H2 , it does in 23H2 so there goes that ...

EDIT - It breaks the File Explorer also in 23H2 , I just noticed that so do not use Explorer Patcher.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  8. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

That is the problem with the way MS is developing everything today, it is a no nonsense reason to hide basic settings, let along make people pissed off, or even curse at MS, but they like it like that I guess LOL.

Win 10 IoT 21H2 is still my go to OS today, me working in 11 IoT is just because I want to know how pissed off people will be using 24H2.

Development around this MS OS attitude is a must today ... As I see, WE will loose unfortunately, that is going to happen, fix this, fix that, it is broke the next week or month.

I take the challenge to install it on my daily BOX is a must do as then I know what is broke, MS!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  9. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the share.

I can't believe how bad the Windows 11 Start menu is, but I also can't endorse using StartIsBack or Explorer Patcher as these also break after MS updates... I am sick of MS ruling the OS in ways nobody agrees with, but that said I guess I could use a launcher instead of the start menu as I know the names of everything, I am always just so conflicted as I want to make things for the masses and things they'd like, but ever since the upgrade process to windows keeps breaking and failing any mods I put in place, it's just stupid, that is why I am so excited to see photoshop making it's way to Linux, I could easily use KDE every day myself, but as I've not yet found a distro that works on Laptops and Desktops, nVidia/AMD/Intel Graphics and doesn't also fail on updates, I am stuck in a limbo, forced to use a different OS to what I offer the public and it sucks.

There was NOTHING wrong with Control panel, it works, can easily add to it and it was sorted, all they needed to do was add a search box up the top right to find things quicker, these drop down layout crap with 3 options is CRAP, why have a 27" screen that can only show 3 options, or a start menu with 12 items on it??? it's mental, MS really should have made 2 separate interfaces as they keep flip flopping about allowing touch controls (big spacing) and a few things offer compact mode (like explorer), but by not being consistent it's actually worse and people seem to be more worried about having control panel and Settings on the same OS (why? it's called options/choice) I'd never go into the Settings app at all if I had the choice, it has no benefits at all.

Ghost likes this.
  10. Trouba

It's all true, sadly. It's one thing to try to simplify the UI and gear it toward the most-used settings (and learning from individual user usage, like they tried to do in some areas of the OS) -- but it's another thing to then completely fail at all that and making the replacements slower to load and harder to access in every imaginable way, to then end up alienating even the people who would have found it challenging to use the legacy utils (CPL, etc.). I think this is what should be called dumb-scaling, but since it's designed dumb as well, it just ends up being dumb-dumb.

EDIT: It appears NTLite is not playing well with this image yet as removing Edge and Webview only shrank the .wim by 240mb even though the Edge folder in PF(x86) went from 1.94gb to 10mb in the image... So it ended up being 3.44gb or so. However, using my Lite preset on another run of it had the usual outcome in size, 1.89gb for wim (1.22gb for esd). We shall see how things progress, I guess.

Ghost likes this.
  11. Trouba

24h2vm.png

Dropped in Last11 Pro image structure, changed autounattend.xml key(s) to: KBN8V-HFGQ4-MGXVD-347P6-PDQGT (same as Win10 21h1 IoT Enterprise LTSC).

Everything works fine, except StartAllBack during its install gave me "not intended for this version of Windows" message, but once I clicked Enable regardless, it works fine. Above is a screenshot of the install based on the Lite image I made, even there everything is fine.

Activated with the abbodi script in $Scripts as usual. The only thing I noticed is that the Settings app is not displaying the exit button (it works if you just click in right corner), but there are bound to be some issues with early builds.

Task Manager icon has changed, looks better on the desktop context menu. Has the "Ultimate Performance" power savings option (sticks when set in sysprep VM).

Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  12. Glenn

Some of my Clean up scripts get stuck trying to take ownership of files, so Ghost is right, you need to be careful what MS has locked down as the only way I got it to continue was to use Task Manager to end task takeownership.exe

But that said I've just completed my build and making the ESD now to VM test before I get the hell off this Win 10 IOT - which has given me nothing but troubles since - if it weren't for the ability to drag and drop on the address bar or from it to make a shortcut, I'd not miss it at all :D

I don't care if it will get updates until after 2030, I wouldn't want to keep using it that long anyway.

-EDIT-

VM tests gone good, I even have a settings close button.

I did remove Edge and Widgets - which in turn disables CoPilot but pretty sure they'd go on again from Store. On that note, Store for LTSC still works fine in this release (if you need it).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    Trouba likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

1. Yesterday at 7:07 PM - Ghost: I seem to see that 24H2 is going to be VERY SECURE
    2. Yesterday at 7:07 PM - Ghost: A lot of stuff may not work, so be prepared
    3. Yesterday at 7:57 PM - Ghost: I am going back to 10 IoT for a bit
    4. Yesterday at 9:25 PM - Trouba: How is it going to be very secure? I mean, it may very well be, but since you said you're going back to Win10 maybe you meant it's secure because you won't be using it :D
    5. Yesterday at 9:32 PM - Ghost: @Trouba - Nothing wrong with secure, it is to compare
    6. Yesterday at 9:41 PM - Trouba: (y)
    7. Yesterday at 11:53 PM - Trouba: KBN8V-HFGQ4-MGXVD-347P6-PDQGT is the trial key for autounattend.xml -- (same as Win10 21h1 IoT Enterprise LTSC)
    8. Today at 9:50 AM - Ghost: What I found with the IoT 24H2 is the Explorer Patcher was blocked by Program Compatibility Assistant ( POS ), I am not sure what it is part of as for Defender or just a standalone
    9. Today at 9:50 AM - Ghost: In 23H2 IoT it works fine
    10. Today at 9:51 AM - Ghost: To be clear I just reinstalled 21H2 last night and went to bed
    11. Today at 9:52 AM - Ghost: I also had a issue with my chipset drivers .exe was taking a long time to switch to the next install screen, just did not seem right in 24H2, so this IoT 24H2 seems it has minor issues, so this can not be the final build
    12. 59 minutes ago - Ghost: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ssistant/c1e324fd-dd99-49a5-9f2a-3ed90a4177b1
    13. 57 minutes ago - Ghost: Whoever is running the 24H2 in a vm, grab the Explorer Patcher from - https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher
    14. 56 minutes ago - Ghost: scroll down to the How To? and there is the latest .exe and run it in 24H2 you will see the freaking new block app in 24H2
    15. 54 minutes ago - Ghost: I will say the IoT 24H2 is got a gooood core but the UI is stomach nausea for sure LOL
    16. 20 minutes ago - Ghost: So in reality all the software companies will have to do their in house 24H2 testing and fix their .exe to conform to this new OS, same as all the tweak tools and such like Explorer patcher and defender control etc .. which is normal as when Vista came out and Xp was left behind for a bit there was application issues that Softs had to adjust to work fine in Vista

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  14. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

1 change I seen that was different was the internet icon in the right corner has a little blink to it as it is doing its thing.

15. Glenn

I've just noticed on my real PC install that my File, Edit, View etc menu in Explorer fails to work. Not sure why yet, but I shouldn't miss it for a bit :) but apart from that it's going ok so far.

-EDIT-

A VM install and the file menu isn't shown and instead has the ribbon in place, meaning I have to kill a tweak in Last11 Tweaks else it'll break explorer

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Ghost likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I figured out the issue with my Chipset drivers acting weird, it was my USB drive , I nuked it with Rufus and did what needed to be done and all is A ok!.

17. Glenn

The issue with Explorer was StartAllBack being set to Win7 Command Bar, simply change it to Windows 11 or Windows 10 styles in the Explorer section and it's fixed, I'll have to update my StartAllBack and all will be well again :) Seeing as we're waiting for a version of it that doesn't complain able unsupported version of windows, it'll nearly fix itself :)

I like Windows 11 Command Bar more than the Win 10 Ribbon (even though it gives you more space in the window, I find they are useful shortcuts to tools.

Ghost likes this.
  18. Glenn

I did just have my Real PC reset my desktop/download and paths to C:\Users\User\* instead of my D:\ I set using my Settings app.. so be aware there are some issues going on with this build, I just don't know what triggered it.

19. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Well, this version's official release date is still six months away, so I guess that's to be expected, but thanks for the heads-up as to the specifics. It does seem that this version should be a worthy successor to the current Windows 10 Enterprise IoT LTSC. And thanks to the work by you, Trouba and Ghost, we'll be ready for it. Many Thanks to the three of you!

Trouba likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I first thought it was a joke at first when I seen the date stamp in the .iso file of April 01 2024 so I was like yea right LOL, then I was like this is just like the 23H2 but with desktop icon fix , and a few updates that was small. Well I guess it is legit, MS compiled it on April 01 2024 but the .iso made it to the net days later.

It will be more secure as for windows defender and such is more sensitive but nothing new also I seen in my stream box running LTSC 21H2 that defender definitions are coming in daily now which is good, the program compatibility assistant is more a UI now , I have never seen that before, I am already accustom to the vanilla start menu stuff not really but have to take it with a grain of salt for now LOL.

CoPilot is what again ? I seen that on my daughters laptop yesterday in Win 11 Home 23H2.

P-C-A.png

21. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I do believe this is not the last release of this 24H2, their is issues I find but they are snap issues,

1 - Sporadic transparency in a window ( freaking cool ) but freaks you out LOL.

2 - Microsoft Edge sucks.

3 - April fools LOL