Discussion (ssFATSorter)

Discussion in 'SetupS FATSorter (ssFATSorter)' started by bphlpt, Nov 23, 2011.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Hey Freezer, could you give me a full example of when and why this is useful? I'm just not getting it. Why is this better than just doing a dir on the device and sorting with the dir function? Sorry, but I'm confused.

2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

You can best see for yourself if you right-click "Command-Prompt " on any FAT-formatted drive (such as typical with flash-drives) and type the command "DIR". You'll see as you delete and add files they'll quickly become unsorted. You cannot really see it using Explorer so the only way to actually see it is via a command-line or the device that reads it -- such as standalone media players (MP3, XviD, etc.) and whatnot.

This issue even gave problems to the v7 ssWPI but I don't know if it is still a problem with yours and RON's latest.

bphlpt likes this.
  3. bphlpt

Ahhh. Thanks! I guess we'll have to think of possible ways to improve ssWPI in that regard.

4. bphlpt

Personally, thanks to Trouba's prodigious output, I would love to see a sort option of app category, with alphabetically within each category, kind of like some of the various WPI screenshots I've seen on the Web. Divider lines between categories would be an extra bonus. Then we could have coloration differences indicating ssApp, ppApp, and ppGame, with darker variants for installed items. Did I miss anything?

5. The Freezer

Isn't that what happens already when one "ticks" the app category in ssWPI -- the resulting listview is alphabetical?

6. bphlpt

Yeah, but you don't see all the categories at once, sorted by category. You just see the category you have chosen.

7. The Freezer

Ah, okay I see what you mean now.

But I do like the idea of the darker color-variants for installed items, though. You know, instead of hiding them.

8. The Freezer

Or remember how you used to have them hidden beneath the screen-shots and appeared on a mouse-hover? That was clever.

9. bphlpt

That does sound clever, but might get annoying if you are just browsing, seeing what all is there.

10. The Freezer

Sounds great. I'd do that plus hold onto the filters to allow narrowing the list to a single category, if so desired. Then you'd have the best of both :)

Glenn likes this.