Discussion (ssXFormer)

Discussion in 'SetupS XFormer (ssXFormer)' started by Trouba, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Freezer, is that "ppApp.kfx" file supposed to be inside the .apz wrapper (but outside the ppApp.7z file)? This is about v8.12.7.17 of ssXFormer, btw.

2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

No, it should be in with the source-code folder. I'd recently renamed it to that instead and so it probably got snagged with the other ppApp files when they were copied (using ppApp.*) to create the ppApp.

Trouba likes this.
  3. Trouba

Freezer, when using ssXFormer on a ssApp that includes a ssApp folder with content, isn't that content supposed to be copied to the main directory of the app when creating the silent installer? For example I tried this on a WinRAR ssApp; the reg key in the ssApp folder did not copy to the main directory of the app in the silent installer, so the app remained unregged. I was wondering if ssXFormer was never programmed to do this, or if this is a bug. Thanks...

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  4. The Freezer

You're right, it should. Basically, ssXFormer merely converts the .apz to .exe by adding SetupS and 7-Zip self-extracting components to the archive. It's possible 7-Zip (the piece used with the SFX) is not extracting the internal folders to the temp folder. It's also possible that 7-Zip doesn't recognize the newer WinRAR format. I'll have to run some tests to see what's going on.

bphlpt, -c0dez3ro- and Trouba like this.
  5. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I think you'll find this is the case. I think they plan to, but I'm not aware of even any of the newest alpha versions of 7-Zip that do, yet.

6. Trouba

I don't think that's what it is. I just tested with another app, Classic Shell ssApp, and with that one the ssApp folder contents (which contains additional skins) also did not apply. So I think this is a ssXFormer bug.

I've not used ssXFormer much, but it is really handy when you want to pass an app to someone who doesn't have SetupS installed (the need for which prompted me to use it again, which is when I found this issue).

7. The Freezer

I am able to reproduce the problem; but only with .apz files that don't have their patch-folder archived (to "patch.7z") that the resulting .exe is missing the patch folder. Those with "patch.7z" convert (and install) just fine.

So it's a bug with ssXFormer. It's likely I never tested any .apz with the ssEditor option "make Patch-folder Archive" disabled.

Trouba likes this.