Exfat format?

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by zdevilinside, Nov 23, 2015.

1. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

With the tools to create a bootable drive, I haven't been able to use drives beyond 64GB because the drives need to be formated in exFAT. Is there a way around this?

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Try making it as a NTFS and configure it to be bootable, then when your done, use Partition Wizard to convert the partition to FAT32, it should still boot fine and work as expected - keep in mind if your not worried about UEFI then NTFS installs much quicker than FAT32, you can not use UEFI with a NTFS boot at all tho.

3. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

When I have tried to change the format to anything other than exFAT, it fails. I have tried this on multiple machines with multiple tools. Thanks for the tip though!

4. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

You may have to erase all partitions from that disk if it's limiting the modes you can format in, as a last resort boot to a live Linux (such as Ubuntu) run gparted and that will let you do anything to your HDD's as it doesn't stop for security checks like windows does. Then again the only things I think could cause a disk to be locked would be if bitlocker was enabled for the drive? encryption or some type of software must be involved as you can not physically lock down a disks format (that I know of).

5. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Hi, I can share my experience with 128 GB Adata usb key - same thing as OP, in windows on desktop, when I right click and choose format I get offered only exfat (not sure now if also fat32 or fat - if that's different from fat32). I don't have bitlocker or any encryption. In windows Comp management, Disk management, I think you get the ntfs option but it doesn't do anything.

I tried to get different format (not exfat) because I couldn't copy to this usb key, simply dragging and dropping a file would close its window and disconnect it from PC (very much used up lastos8.1.1 x64 by which I mean the windows could be buggy or else the keys is faulty). Same with any other mode of copying to the key. Copy to key works on winXP...

In past I don't have good experience with exfat format, I used to use it on 2.5" sata drives in usb enclosure (also on usb keys smaller than 64GB) because it would connect (and be writable) both to Mac and PC. However it had mixed results in practice, sometimes they drive wouldn't connect to Mac or to PC and other problems, bottom line is I dislike exfat, period. I think it is an abortion effort among formats that didn't pan out.

Being lazy, I didn't google around if 128GB size brings with it some limits, I plugged the key into my Alien2 tripple tuner satbox and formatted to fat32 and it worked to record TV as well as timeshift buffer. I have also tried formatting to NTFS and it worked but the write speed was then very slow, only one SD program could be recorded, normally I can record two HD canals and timeshift... so I suppose you could format to ntfs in linux because the Alien2 satbox is based on some sort of linux (can run Spark or enigma2 on it which are linux based)

---------------------

However the reason I pop on here once in a while is to check on if Last10 win is not in offing. I lost access to sharingisthepoint forum for inactivity and not sure what other venue you'd use if you released something, maybe TPB? I guess the tools you continue to develop if used after win10 install pretty well make it into Last10, right?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015