LastOS XP v.22

Discussion in 'LastXP' started by John Massey, Jan 31, 2016.

1. John Massey

John Massey Guest

Hello
    I was fortunate enough to locate a LastOS XP v.22 and placed it on a USB drive using Rufus.
    I was not able to install directly from the USB because the boot file was not recognized however I was able to install my standard version of Windows XP.
    I placed the USB with LastXP v.22 and the Menu came up after clicking on Autostart.exe
    From there I started up the ssWPI version 7.
    I boggled for awhile looking at the installable Apps...!
    I chose to install them ALL ... some 301 of them...
    I also chose to have my start Menu sorted according to LastOS style.
    I took a few Pictures...
    IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1036.JPG IMG_1041.JPG

The Auto Installer worked excellently and kept me informed about what it was currently working on...
    It completed installation of 288 Apps... Furthermore when I looked at my Task manager it said that I had 50 processes running and my CPU workload was 0 percent....!
    Running smoothly and Quietly... Whew..! Let me make a restore point now..
    soo... then I started checking out the Features and This OS has it ALL...
    I have been saying to myself " This is really GREAT" over and over again...
    This PC I am using is an 2004 Abit KV8 with 2ghz cpu and 1 gig Ram and an Nvidia7800.
    AND it is BLAZING FAST...!!!
    WAAAY Faster than the Standard XP setup....
    And Prettier too..!
    I think I will just stare at it AGOG for awhile....

Glenn, evilssix, carter67 and 2 others like this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

It's the trick with the apps that keep the speed even though you have hundreds of apps installed, there was never a reason for every app to run itself in startup, check for it's own updates and bog the system down with registering dll's, fonts and runtimes that do not need to be, they just need to be included in the root of the main app, this will speed up the OS over time instead as it will put them in the prefix folder where it sets the entry position of dll calls and exe points and the more you use it the faster it gets, XP was a hog with everything unless you got it spot on at the end of the install, one bad move and you sometimes had to start from scratch.

Anyways it's only though many hours of trial and error from the whole modding community that things progressed so well for LastXP, Last10 was never as popular as people were happy with the vanilla OS and MS made it so easy to update it that the only people who bother looking for mods are really bored or really smart and with so many distractions in this world now days there is a shortage of both.

It's funny reading praise of the work we did so many years ago now. I feel like I never even helped make LastXP - like I either blocked out huge sections of my life or that every day was the same thing so they blended into what felt like a few days instead of the 6 years or more that it took to make LastXP v22 :D

I think you'll find many of the solutions and ideas we put in LastXP are still in Last10 - we decided to always build on previous ideas/improvements than starting from scratch - now I can barely use a vanilla OS as I miss all the tweaks and features we put in them, kind of like how I could never go back to a non SSD OS drive now.

3. marr

marr Guest

I also tried to install LastXPv22_SOX.(Secure.Open.XP).iso booting from a usb stick. I never succeeded.
    I get to a linux prompt that reads 'ui is not specified' .
    Installig from .iso file in virtual machine works fine.
    I copied the installed files to the real c:\ it boots up till a BSOD with the 07b code.
    The computer has its AHCI/SATA disabled. The v.m. LastXPv22_SOX had been installed without sata/raid drivers.
    What could be the reason for the failure?
    (checksum of iso match}
    When I autorun LastXPv22_SOX.iso in regular XP I get a GUI with no install lastxp option.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2019
  4. Glenn

LastXP was really only ever made to be burned to a 4.7GB DVD, this is the most successful way to use it (as EZBoot doesn't always detect USB at the DOS level).

Umm the last time I touched XP was 10 years and 10 months ago. Hopefully one of the others can help you out, I know we used EZBoot on all the XP's and a few PC's failed to boot it for whatever reason, but I can no longer remember the steps involved in reverting back to a standard boot. I know we modded it to use XPP1 and XPP2 instead of the i386 folder and one of these had no drivers for sata added and the other did, if you attempted to install the sata version on a non sata PC it would stop/fail as bad as trying to use the non sata one on a sata PC.

All our XP versions can only be fresh installed from DOS boot and not from within running windows.

I would think that any PC unable to install this modded version of XP will fail with all LastXP's, I can't support this anymore, in fact I doubt I could help with Windows 7 anymore either as I haven't touched that since June 2013 (so over 6 years ago). Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Maybe @The Freezer has had to mod a version of SOX to work for his uses off a USB drive?

5. marr

marr Guest

O.K. I understand. But I still wonder why: 'I copied the installed files to the real c:\ it boots up till a BSOD with the 07b code'?

6. marr

marr Guest

Is it possible that the installer needs to start up from D:\ only or other 'booting' files
    refer to files on D:\ ? D: as the usual CD drive letter.

7. Glenn

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/move-wi...erboard-without-getting-blue-screen-of-death/

And if you meant the installer files (not installed) then it will have to be relating to the HDD drivers, I think it you copy files from XPP1 to a i386 folder it may also fix it by using the non integrated driver version, but it's been too long since I tinkered with those kinds of boot issues. I do know the 07b errors are relating to HDD access or missing files or the wrong chipset driver.

8. marr

marr Guest

I will try i386.
    'installer'=file(s) responsible for installing lastxp, D.V.D->HDD
    '(I copied the) installed files'=installed O.S. already on VIRT. HDD->actual HDD

Thx for the link and your tip.

9. marr

marr Guest

From the link:
    'After all these years since the release of Windows XP, it’s still not a straightforward task to move a Windows XP hard drive and partition to another computer without getting a blue screen'

I have moved cloned img. of XP from 1 to 4 different computers with no issue
    at least no BSOD.1 of them was 20 yrs old.
    This link only deals with the sata/ide problem which is not relevant in my case.

10. Glenn

11. marr

marr Guest

'There is a HEAP more reasons it wont boot...' you might be very well right.

12. marr

marr Guest

In 2-3 days I'm gonna try i386 and if it doesn't work I'm gonna get upset and will
    never come back here!
    (except Sundays)

P.S.
    The forum sites, I mean the lay out, look very neat and comprehensive.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2019
  13. marr

marr Guest

Glenn, thx a lot for trying for me the VM - at least I'll have a reference.
    But as I already mentioned I have istalled LastXP without sata drivers, but still it is weird
    I get the sataBSOD which would indicate the system loads the sata drivers during the boot up
    process.
    Shall I make i386 in the root fldr and put the files from xp1 in or shall I put them into /xppro/i386
    which I doubt?
    And Glenn, no rush.
    Thx.
    -edit-
    No AMD processor on my MOBOs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2019
  14. Glenn

I couldn't figure out anything useful, your last hope is Freezer Box, XP doesn't play nicely between different arch (x86 and x64) either

15. marr

marr Guest

No problem, mate. Thx anyway.
    Maybe freezer will read me.
    Would the vista mod be easier to handle?

16. Glenn

LastV v2, yeah that uses standard Boot the same as 7, 8 and 10 but:

From the start, all your programs, printer, and nearly everything else that worked with Vista will work fine with Windows 7. Improved speed and performance: Windows 7 actually runs faster than Vista most of the time and takes up less space on your hard drive. it also uses less RAM at Idle and it is more modern. So I would say using AwakenOS or CosmOS if you have the space and ram. If not then I am still out of ideas :)

https://www.dummies.com/computers/o.../why-upgrade-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7/

17. marr

marr Guest

I have always been sceptical about vista and 7 because of the spying and the difficulty to avoid this.
    I spent days or weeks to mod xp to the state it does not connect to any IP addy without my action.
    Having an O.S. that is 1,7 gigs and lets me configure everything makes me feel more comfortable
    than having 1 that is modern, in a sense that, it decides for me what to do. And if someone goes with
    the standard ' your xp is no longer being updated, oh dear, what are you doing?!' I know they are those
    who always click NEXT if it reads 'recommended'.

18. marr

marr Guest

19. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I would recommend using a Win7 base. You can cut out a lot of the telemetry stuff with a tool like NTLite (especially if you don't intend to use Windows Update -- so it would be best to use an updated image). Then you can add in a comprehensive hosts file to block many connections. On top of this, there are registry tweaks that further curb telemetry activity. Then also disable certain services. In fact I recently made a Win7 image that does just this.

Glenn likes this.
  20. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

I've only ever been able to install XP from an IDE -- or SATA in IDE mode (BIOS setting).

21. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

It's been WAAAY too long since I've installed XP, and I don't think it directly applies, but could this, or using this as an example - https://github.com/vavrecan/usb-boot-watcher - possibly help with the USB issue? Or even WinNTSetup?

22. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

I think that's so you can run XP off a USB flashdrive. A sort of LiveUSB like a LiveCD. Could be useful in other ways, though.