Miscellaneous discussion (SetupS)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Trouba, Jul 6, 2011.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Yes I understood that the uninstalls would need to done one-at-a-time. What I was getting at was that from what I understood, from looking at the pictures of your settings in the first post above, was that you could set the global default, in the top pic, so that the registry will be modified for uninstallers, which you could then opt out of on an individual app basis, in the second pic. But I did not see the reverse, ie an option that if you did not want that set up on a global basis, but you did want to have that only for certain apps. But I could have just misunderstood things, as often happens. :)

2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

No, it was I who misunderstood what you meant. Apparently, Glenn misunderstood too. ;)
    As far as enabling ssUninstall on a per app basis, would we need that option? I have the option to disable it at the app level because I know there will be some apps you cannot (or don't want to) do this for. Take for example updating an existing app. Some have installers that uninstall the old version before installing the new one. Currently, SetupS does not yet have a way to capture the uninstall info for such apps. Though I don't consider that example as a bug that will break anything; I'd still like some way for an individual app to be able to disable the feature -- just in case.

3. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I don't know. When I was looking at the 4 options I listed above I was just looking at completing the symmetry. But if it is an option that would never be used, then never mind.

4. -c0dez3ro-

-c0dez3ro- Moderator Staff Member

i havent used this much but autobuild is not working 100% , if i right click on ONE ppApp app and send to autobuild it will work fine , but if i select 2 or more the help file opens

5. -c0dez3ro-

thats how i ended up doing it ,just tryin to move stuff around

6. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Some small things I've noticed:

- Startup folder in start menu often does not display the green arrow icon. It's because both locations (ProgramData location for the folder, as well as the AppData\Roaming\... location for that folder both need the icon applied).
    - In certain situations ssApp shortcuts don't get sorted. I've seen this both in VM's and on live installs. It may have to do with ssWPI or how the shortcuts get applied/sorted when using ssWPI, but it's something to look into.

The Freezer likes this.
  7. The Freezer

FYI, SetupS works the same way -- a result of recycling code... LOL -- you can use sendto with a single file or a folder; but not a selection of files. Anything extra (ie, any "unrecognized" arguments) will just cause SetupS/ssEditor to simply exit.

Intriguing idea, though -- a sort of ssWPI in the raw... LOL. Not sure that AutoIt even supports it or what the limit might be on the number of files that can be sent to SetupS. Via Explorer it might be unlimited; but if it's the CLI then it's probably something like 256 characters.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  8. The Freezer

Huh. Never knew that. But it makes sense though in hind sight. You'd only see that bug when some app places a shortcut in the CurrentUser and another in the AllUsers.

Or something to do with the .app-file -- either with or without shortcut defs. Those without the shortcut defs causes SetupS to try to figure out the apps' shortcuts, etc. SetupS seems to fail the most with apps that use non-standard methods of creating them -- ironically, especially those from Microsoft. LOL

Next time you encounter one, feel free to go ahead and send me the .apz so I can see what's going on with it -- or at least offer an explanation why it's not sorting correctly. :)

9. Trouba

First I thought it had something to do with particular ssApps too, but then it appeared the problem was broader than that. I'll keep my eye out for those, I'll have to do a new OS install soon so maybe I can get it to mess up again ;)

10. Trouba

Freezer, would it be hard to add the option to right-click a ssApp.reg or ppApp.reg and do a SendTo -> SetupS? Sometimes I want to just apply a pp/ssApp.reg but with the gated directives and such (like arch-filtering) which will only work when applied via SetupS. I was hoping this might be a very easy thing to implement, but perhaps it's not :)

11. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

I just wanted to say that I have really liked working with this application that has been developed here. I hope to be able to use it far into the future.

12. The Freezer

I'll see about releasing a minor update for these. I've got some free time coming up. :)

bphlpt, Glenn and -c0dez3ro- like this.
  13. The Freezer

::chuckle:: Never officially claimed that Windows 8 was supported. I'm actually surprised that there has not been more features either broken or buggy. ;)

Perhaps all that needs to be done is add the shortcut to "MenuDefaults.ini"?

14. Trouba

Hey Freezer, that problem I mentioned before about certain ssApps shortcuts not getting sorted in the start menu seems to happen more when sorting app shortcuts after installing the apps; if I sort the start menu before installing all the apps, it seems to happen less. One that pretty consistently shows up is Firefox shortcut, but also MediaInfo ssApp. These installers are not the same so I don't think it matters what type of installer is used inside the ssApps. So could be a timing issue? It's hard for me to determine exactly what is going on. Would debug help at all? If so I could probably reproduce it pretty reliably.

If you do find a cause and can fix it, don't forget to add 'Startup' folder icon in both start menu locations (ProgramData and AppData) so the Startup (green arrow) icon doesn't become blank.

EDIT: I think the sorting of ssApps problem is exclusively happening when sorting start menu after installing apps (and I guess when switching between standard/lastos/standard, etc.). As I've been monitoring it on new installs it seems the problem doesn't occur when sorting lastos style before installing majority of apps.

EDIT2: Hey Freezer, I noticed with LastOS sorting you have a 'Scheduled Tasks' shortcut under - System\- Process & Task Control, which is an explorer.exe call. This is not the same as the actual Task Scheduler app in - Windows Tools (or Administrative Tools). What is Scheduled Tasks and how does it differ from Task Scheduler? I was wondering since I'm testing a Win7 x64 lite build (828mb updated install.wim, hehe) but that Scheduled Tasks call won't work but actual Task Scheduler does work.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    The Freezer likes this.
  15. Trouba

Also, I've noticed this in the \Windows\ folder; a bunch of weird files that are SetupS-related:

ss2.png

16. The Freezer

17. Trouba

I've attched a .7z with all those weird files so you can take a look at it. I installed a couple of ss/ppApsp to see if they would disappear but they're still there.

EDIT: So I had deleted those files and installed a few apps after that, but the files weren't back. Then, some time went by and I made a few apps, installed a couple of them, and now I see a bunch of those files in \Windows\ again. So it's something SetupS is generating during installs or cleanup or...

Attached Files:

18. Trouba

Freezer, SetupS is made in the USA right? :D

bphlpt likes this.
  19. Trouba

Hey Freezer, I still have that problem with all the weird files in \Windows. Notice how inside they all refer to:

[Catalog]
    System Installing=4 System\0 Installers & Setups

So I'm thinking it's a sorting artifact and perhaps related to SetupS sorting its own shortcuts. What do you think?

http://www.lastos.org/team/Trouba/misc/SetupS-artifcats.flv

(Meh, no automatic embed unless YouTube, etc., sorry.)

20. Trouba

Hey, I just noticed something... Shouldn't it say:

[Catalog]
    System Installing=4 System\- Installers & Setups

rather than the current:

[Catalog]
    System Installing=4 System\0 Installers & Setups

?

Maybe this is the problem?

21. Trouba

I see. Still weird that it uses the '0' in my case for \- Installers & Setups since numbers are not used as prefixes in the LastOS sorting system.

22. Trouba

Hey Glenn/Freezer, I now have 4 files since recently (after installing Glenn's fixed version):

SetupS-bug.png

So although it is much better and Glenn fixed something, there is still a small bug somewhere causing these entries.

23. -c0dez3ro-

Trouba, im not sure whats different between mine and yours but i don't even get those files or even the large list of files u posted a video of ...

24. Trouba

Yeah, not sure what's going on either, c0de. I don't know the conditions or what triggers it.

25. -c0dez3ro-

i have both SetupS.SendTo.Suite_v14.5.0.0 and SetupS.SendTo.Suite_v14.11.6.0. and nither one has gave me those odd looking files.. ive used them both in virt.box and real time install . i also have it where my system shows hidden files .