Phoenix OS

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by Trouba, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I wonder...

[​IMG]

First of all, this is Phoenix OS and the wand above has a phoenix feather in it :D

But what I actually wonder about is if this could be useful somehow when your main platform is Windows. Would be cool if this could be used as a LivePE for Win installs, but I highly doubt that :)
    URL: http://www.phoenixos.com/en_US/

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Remember Just before Win 10's release there was talk of adding Android Apps/Store to it, then it was dropped for no reason... well I think they should have done it, Imagine how great it would be to have Android apps cross talking with windows and all your HDD's content, way more useful than "Modern Junk" oops - I mean "Modern Apps"

Anyway, I am downloading this now, I'll probably VM test it and maybe try it on a old Netbook so I can test how optimized it is - First I'll see if the .exe version is able to install without data loss occurring :D

My guess is this is a Kernel level layer allows the OS to interpret a sub layer - I had a through on this method of OS a few years back, good to see I wasn't the only one as if this works as I hope, it will allow access to all the data on your HDD's and access to hardware features without the need to re-invent the wheel for accessing driver level control (as this will introduce the whole Driver Hell and instability problems again).

Anyway I doubt you could use this for installing windows unless it has a WINE type system built in for running .exe's under it's own kernel, else how could you extract a WIM to a HDD and set the boot flags using Android (unless someone makes an app specifically for doing that, I personally haven't made any Android code or even know what they even use as a IDE/compiler yet, I know they can do it because their own installer must apply the boot sector and boot menu information for it's own OS to be bootable :) I don't know if it would be worth doing tho as all the tools wouldn't have NTFS recovery or even Win Recovery tools in it, so would more be an alternative OS rather than a useful PE environment (except for backups and maybe HDD images - not sure Android has HDD image tools even?).

Still I like to test all OS's and I like playing with Bluestacks, so will get back to you (heading out for a while so will be tomorrow).

-EDIT-

I also imagine that no HOSTS or Chrome Addon support for ad blockers will be available - we'll see.

Trouba likes this.
  3. Glenn

How annoying, Couldn't get it to mount a NTFS partition to boot from my D:\ Data disk and when I switched to a Fat32 drive I made it was limited to a 4GB image size (of course), so now I've tried etx4 and that fails to install from the .exe installer, I'll try installing from the USB disk now and see how I go.

http://bbs.phoenixstudio.org/en/showthread.php?tid=1123
    Not the only one having boot issues with this OS.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  4. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Maybe Android on desktop is as bad as it sounds :)

5. Glenn

It only mounts the first partition on a multi partition USB disk, it isn't going to be worth my time I am sorry to say, I may chuck it on a x86 netbook to see, but it's no fun a good hardware, that is for sure.