Win 7 High Compression

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by -c0dez3ro-, Jan 11, 2015.

1. -c0dez3ro-

-c0dez3ro- Moderator Staff Member

will this work on any windows such as win 7x64 ?

i would really like to give this a shot .

one question though ...
    Install your version of windows to the pre-formated partition < what do you mean by that ?

im sure you already knew i would be the one asking all the questions so .. here goes

i ran the 01_Execute_VirtualBox.cmd and it said i needed to format drive V do i leave it alone or format it ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

It formats it, itself, but if you wanted to re-format it, it's fine to do so (but will wipe your vhd content).

Make sure your Drive V isn't one of your real drives before running this or you will need to change it in the Settings folder.

You need a Windows 8+ PE to use the install.esd over the install.wim as Windows 7 didn't support .esd. but you can capture and install windows 7 as an .esd (I think) I'm not going to test it tho as I moved away from Windows 7 when 8.1 came out.

I was going to do a video tutorial of this in action, but no one seemed too interested yet and then other things came up.

Let me know if you need help getting this going properly, it's only a script, so very easy to repair/test things.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  3. -c0dez3ro-

im at the point where im installing updates now ..175 .... whats the best way todo this part ...install any Runtimes/Dot.NET/Features and any hard tweaks/themes/mods you may want to include...should i have included these in with the iso file ?

4. Glenn

I haven't made my own with any of them integrated yet (mine are still in ssWPI) so it's bleeding edge testing (for me), you'll have to try it out, keep in mind dot.net is rather large, so depending on if you want a tiny build or one with everything but smaller than it usually would be.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  5. -c0dez3ro-

ugh i been at this for 4 hours and i end up at with this in vm...i already changed it to 1922 thats less then half of what i have for my pc
    AwakenOS10VM.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  6. -c0dez3ro-

can i do a reboot to recheck for more updates ?? or will this mess up the System Preparation Tool ?

edit : yea its telling me to restart to finish the updates but im afraid to ive already spent 3 hours installing just the updates

7. Glenn

You should be able to reboot, Trouba used to always apply updates in batches (offline but the same principle applies).

I heard from WindowsGuru/Kirk that Windows 7 gets stuck at 87% if you use ESD, so I am not sure how all this will go, you may have to use a Win 8 PE and even then it might have issues, I am not even interested in Win 7 anymore, it looks nice with it's Aero, but apart from that 8.1 is superior.

Still you are close to having a test ISO, takes a while to capture a .wim, but even longer to convert to esd, it will not delete the wim, so even if it doesn't work as an esd, you will have an up to date source that you don't need to apply any updates prior to 2015 - oh and I never set it to max compression at the wim stage, so if you run it through the ssOS Builder or something you can reduce the size by a few hundred MB more.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  8. -c0dez3ro-

well i finally got the updates done and the install.wim. completed now to make a back up of it . and take that and maybe add some system updates like java, adoba air, framework.. could i just add sswpi the iso and install them that way ?

9. Glenn

Yes, it's just a Win 7 source, not suitable to build a LivePE from, but you can use it for any other builder purposes or reducer/lite apps etc.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  10. -c0dez3ro-

this error popped up ,just checking if thats ok or if something is wrong
    AwakenOS10VM2.png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  11. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Which DISM are you using, Chris? The DISM from Win8.1 has capabilities that the one from Win7 does not. I'm not sure about the one from Win10. As far as I know, you can install the DISM from Win8.1 on Win7. But I think there will still be things that you can do with that DISM from Win8.1 with the Win8.1 wim that you can't do with the Win7 wim. Since Glenn has switched over to Win8.1, for both DISM and wim, if you are following his instructions I'm guessing there will be some things that won't work on Win7. But I only "know" this from what I've read, so I could be totally off base.

12. Glenn

yeah C0de it's because windows 7 doesn't support that reset base feature, so just ignore that error and you will not get the error on Win 8 and above in the future.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  13. -c0dez3ro-

i finally got a install.wim update.. but how is it im gettting these pop ups ...ive never gotten them before

1.png 2.png

14. Glenn

This only builds an updated install.wim, it has no answer files to automate those steps, a standard Win 7 has those dialogs shown during setup, so put the built ISO into NTLite or one of those, use it in one of LastOS builders, or manually include an AutoUnattend.xml on the root of the ISO, I know it's easy to forget all the basics when it's been many years since you've probably had to deal with them - that is a good thing :D

15. -c0dez3ro-

well yea it is but , thats just it i did place the updated install.wim file into the builder and i still got that ... im going to work on it some more , maybe it was just a bad copy or error that i didnt see or something simple ..

16. Glenn

Well nothing you do during the wim capture can affect the install process as that is part of the external ISO you pointed to and not from the files inside the .wim

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  17. -c0dez3ro-

yea i know , i meant to say with the build , you know how im the only one who ever has these random errors or bugs lol..

18. -c0dez3ro-

i keep getting this error when i try to use my uninstaller and with autorun
    AwakenOS10VM.png

19. Glenn

That may be a problem with UAC, if not then you might not have autoruns.exe and myuninstal.exe in C:\Windows\ and instead have them in C:\Windows\System32\ I updated them in my Tweaks pack, you'll have to manually move them or change the reg file in your build or you might get those types of errors.

20. -c0dez3ro-

well im not sure what happened but there was an error with sysprep ..i didnt save the screenshot , but when vm restarted i then got this error and i can not get past it .my plan was to update the java, flash , and sliver light.
    anything i can do to fix this?... i already have a updated install.wim file as a back up..
    AwakenOS10VM.png

21. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Errors like that are not descriptive enough, I'm afraid. If you have a sysprep updated source and that one works, and the build process of modded OS broke it, that would narrow it down. But if you're saying you have not tested the updated image, then that may be affected as well (corrupted image). Hard to tell from your descriptions what the situation is, so I'm afraid this is all I can say.

22. -c0dez3ro-

I have a updated wim file already that has already been syspreped and the build works good.i wanted to reupdate and edit .

23. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Do you reset the trial re-arm? Because you can only run sysprep a couple of times (3 times total). That's why I always delete trials before I sysprep, each time.

Create a .bat file with this content:

Code:
    reg load HKLM\MY_SYSTEM "%~dp0Windows\System32\config\system"
    reg delete HKLM\MY_SYSTEM\WPA /f
    reg unload HKLM\MY_SYSTEM
    Put it on root of your VM's C:\ drive. Then when you're done updating, before running sysprep, reboot and have your original install iso attached. Boot from that and enter Repair. Choose command prompt and run the above .bat file (delwpa.bat is what I named it). To do this, you have to call drive letter D:\ (it's that way for VirtualBox VM's). So you run D:\delwpa.bat and it will run that bat file on you VM's C:\ drive. It will tell you if it's been successful.

Then you reboot, manually install your Win7 key but opening command prompt in the VM:

C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs /ipk HYF8J-CVRMY-CM74G-RPHKF-PW487

(change key to whatever version of Win7 you have -- above key is Pro, but Ultimate is:

C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs /ipk D4F6K-QK3RD-TMVMJ-BBMRX-3MBMV

Then you can sysprep.

I'm not saying this will solve your problem, but it might. Otherwise it could be corrupted. But do the above every time you sysprep, anyway. It's a good practice.

24. -c0dez3ro-

Ok ill give it a shot tomorrow sometime.

25. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Guys, since this thread's purpose was about Win 8.1 high compression, don't you think it would be appropriate to split c0de's efforts on Win 7 out into a different thread? It's definitely valuable enough to keep as a model for others to follow later, [or not it it gets totally screwed up :) (heheh) ]. There is good info here.