Windows 10 - Tweaks & Ideas

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by Trouba, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Windows 10 is a bit different than Win7/8.x, which means not all the LastOS Tweaks (ssApp) work anymore.

Certain controls in Win10 have moved to the background; for example, if you now click on the Personalization context (desktop) it will open a modern app-type window with options, one of which is "Themes", which will then open the window that normally opens when you click Personalization in Win7/8. Moreover, that "Themes" (or old Personalization) window does not list the options like Background, Color and Appearance, Screensaver, etc., anymore. These are now hidden and have no direct links in the OS anymore. So one of the tweaks added is a cascading desktop context menu called "Appearance" which lists those options directly:

[​IMG]

(Note that 'Display settings' and 'Personalize' are default contexts.)

Since the reg entries for "This PC" ('Computer') now require special permissions, it appears we can't add context menus to "This PC" anymore via reg tweaks. Possibly we could achieve this by acquiring permissions and adding them to an image via sysprep? If we cannot utilize the "This PC" context menu then the Desktop menu (shown above) will become more important, so we could consider packing more options in there via cascading menus.

So I reworked the LastOS Tweaks and verified what still works and added new things. I only made it for Win10 so it will be clearer what's what. More can and will be added but here's what I have so far:

LastOS.Tweaks_Win10_2015.08.13_ssApp.apz

shorty25, bphlpt, The Freezer and 2 others like this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I am thinking we might cascade the apps into the 2nd group menu, Except Task Manager which sometimes you just want to run it because an OS is going so slow (not responding) so getting to a sub menu would take even longer.

Applications:-
    Autoruns
    Calculator
    My Uninstaller
    Notepad
    Regedit
    Icon Refresh Desktop

I also think we should add a System menu now we lost the This PC access.

System Shortcuts:-
    Administrative Tools
    Change Date and Time
    Command Prompt
    Control Panel
    Device Manager
    Power Options
    Services
    User Accounts
    Windows Update

I'll install the tweaks once I have had a good look through them to see what's being set, I am assuming you left out the UAC stuff due to the fact all Modern Apps require it and it's not as demanding in Win 10 anyway.

I've not even tried to see if Win 10 will install fully silent or not yet, gonna be a long road of testing to get this release made.

bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  3. Trouba

Sounds good. I used the UAC settings from Win8.x (checked them against the defaults of Win10 first), so I think that's in order then.

I also configured Classic Shell 4.2.4. It has 3 different .reg files: for Win7, Win8, and Win10. These get called through gated OS directives in the .app file depending on which OS it is installed on:

Classic.Shell_v4.2.4_ssApp.apz

[​IMG]

EDIT: Uploaded an slightly updated version of Classic Shell today; it now lists the "Devices and Printers" as a link only (not as a menu, as shown above). I did this because Devices and Printers contain network-related items which will slow the start menu down if you hover over the menu, so it's better to just have it as a clickable link instead of a menu.

pacav69, shorty25 and bphlpt like this.
  4. Trouba

I re-worked the ssApp.reg file so that it is organized better and it now basically has 4 sections, clearly demarcated: Explorer- & UI-related Tweaks; Context Menu Tweaks; System-related Tweaks; and Misc Tweaks.

I further figured out the various cascading context menus for Desktop and included them in the latest version of the LastOS Tweaks for Win10, linked to below. I added more menu entries than we'll probably end up using, but this way it's ready-made and we can choose which ones we want to keep active. There is some overlay in the various menus (esp. Applications and System), meaning I've included some entries that are rem'd out but could be activated simply by removing the ; character (do always check the SubCommands in the first part of the cascading menus if you change anything, because that is where the active entries need to be listed).

For the cascading "Applications" menu I decided to make inactive Regedit (still there in Applications .reg section but not active) because that really belongs in the "System" menu, which is where I put it. Since the Applications menu contains MyUninstaller, I also put the "Programs and Features" entry in there; also, Programs and Features pertains to applications so it is apt.

There is, apparently, a limitation of 16 entries to a cascading context menu. So if you go over that, the last one(s) will fall off.

There is no more regular explorer window for Windows Update; instead it is now part of an immersive panel (Uri sub-command of the immersive 'Settings' app). So that means the WU icon is also no longer to be found and I had to link to a more or less fitting one from imageres.dll (as I did for some other entries too). I also added the Settings app to the "System" context menu, which will give you access to many immersive options. I'm not sure about the icon for the "Applications" menu itself; I think the icon looks good but I have no idea what that icon actually stands for in the OS :)

Here are the desktop context menus combined into a screenshot to give you an idea:

[​IMG]

Lastly I've included the hosts file entries as listed in this thread mentioned by BP.

LastOS.Tweaks_Win10_2015.08.15_ssApp.apz

Let me know how it goes.

PS: last night I uploaded the 08.15 version (had done .14 an hour before) and changed the Power menu to list "Sign out" instead of "Log off" (as still shows in pic above) to better reflect Win10's terminology.

bphlpt and -c0dez3ro- like this.
  5. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

Another idea would be to have win10 only apps in the selection of ssWPI app.

6. Trouba

For any Win10-based LastOS build it would need no special designation (one wouldn't include a non-Win10 tweaks app with it) but it may be useful to sort it somehow anyway so that it's clear to which OS version it specifically applies when customizing a ssWPI session or AppDisc or what have you. Of course, a Last10 build would already have these tweaks integrated (or rather, applied at FirstLogon), though the ssApp could/would be included also.

BTW, the word "Last10" at first sight seems redundant, because 10 is the last Windows version, as mentioned earlier. But any 10 as released by MS is "first" in that it is an untweaked, hard to use mess (only Recycle Bin icon on desktop, figure out the rest, anyone?), so Last10 makes sense still :D So yeah, just mention updates in the version number like Last10.x and I think it will be good.

pacav69 likes this.
  7. Glenn

Beautiful work, I thank you for expanding & building on to these ideas yourself. I trust your work more than I trust my own now days as you put a lot of thought into your decisions - I still use reflex responses where the most simple/noticeable solution is usually the best- but usually only up to a point, then the extra thought is required to make it work as desired.

Today I spent the whole day running cables through a friends roof space and down the walls and various other house maintenance tasks, so I only just sat at my PC 10 minutes ago at 2AM, bit sleepy now. I don't have more ideas to share as yet, very soon tho :D

Trouba likes this.
  8. Trouba

Well, thanks! Oh yeah, cables in attics, fun... Had to do that in summer time here in the South... dangerously hot. Glad it's not summer over there :)

9. -c0dez3ro-

-c0dez3ro- Moderator Staff Member

came across some errors , could be a setting somewhere
    when ever i click on any of the blue links to open them i get the error below
    Untitled.png

10. Trouba

I don't think that's due to a setting, that looks like a bug. I had that some days ago when I messed around with themes, etc. I'm not sure what caused that, I had to do a restore. When I did not install any themes or uxstyle or anything and kept my Win install clean, it hasn't occurred again. The problem I had on the corrupted install is that I could not rename a folder anywhere on my system anymore. Then it got unstable.

http://superuser.com/questions/949703/windows-10-error-accessing-certain-settings
    http://www.tenforums.com/general-di...cannot-access-specified-device-path-file.html
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r/2f39ed3f-21cf-48f8-8f93-6ebe0a0dc7b9?auth=1
    http://www.windowstricks.in/2015/08/windows-10-permission-issue-with-domain-admin.html

Don't be mean, Win10 is a little baby :D

11. Trouba

One thing you might do is not install additional tweaks or things with explorer tweaks, etc. (maybe that QuickLaunch app you were talking about?). The reason I say that is because when testing with NTLite certain explorer tweaks got messed up and it would leave you unable to change folder names and the like (that still happens to random people every now and then who never install a tweak or customization utility in their lives).

You could try some UAC settings and reboots, but if it persists you may have to reinstall/restore. I'll keep my eye open for that problem. Anyway, not saying you are using themes or such things on your current install and it could just be a Windows bug, but try to keep stuff pretty vanilla for now, I would say. I really don't think this has anything to do with the LastOS Tweaks ssApp I made because I've applied it many times and I have no such problems. Since not all tweaks from earlier OS's work anymore, I was very careful not to just throw untested tweaks in there, and I tried to verify original settings in the Win10 install first to see if those reg entries even exist on Win10 anymore. You don't have an AV installed, right?

12. -c0dez3ro-

what i will do later is install win10 , and only apply shell, the lastos10 tweaks, firefox and my net drivers and video... im so use to quicklaunch i dunno what ill do .

13. Trouba

See if Win10 will update video/graphics drivers for you automatically, because I had problems with the newer one from AMD and so I am using the one Win10 found and installed for me. It will do this automatically after you install clean. With the Win10 drive it installed I've had no problems and it hasn't crashed, whereas it did with the new one from the AMD site. In other words, let Win10 install the drivers for you as much as possible, to minimize problems due to drivers.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  14. Trouba

I installed Win10 Ent x64 clean again, applied the Last10 tweaks, and then used regshot to find other tweaks that I could add (quite a few new ones). Also, by accident I had left out the cascading "Appearance" menu with the .15 version of the ssApp so I put that back in.

Last10.Tweaks_2015.08.16_ssApp.apz

Glenn and -c0dez3ro- like this.
  15. Glenn

Fix.png

Now the only issue I see if when we add a new location for a tweak, we should be removing the old one using the

[-HKEY...

or

Value=-

Because my context menu has a few incremental leftovers now :D

16. Trouba

LOL, yeah, I thought that might happen to you :D Gets kinda hard to track, though. I think from the current state of development on, it won't be that bad. So you may have to do that manually :D

17. Trouba

I still need to include tweaks to give some form of access to Windows Photo Viewer. PV is not an .exe and can't be called directly, and in Win10 there is no direct rundll command for it. But it is still in the OS, and one thing that can be done is feed some reg tweaks which will make PV show up in the immersive "Open with" list. If people are using Win10 purely in desktop mode and won't be using Store apps, or more specifically, the Photo App, it can also be tweaked so that PV will be the default viewer for Win10, as it used to be. Just not sure if people want that by default, or if they're going to want to use the Store photo viewer as default (as MS wants it). I'd say, let PV remain the default viewer, in which case I can add the reg tweaks to the ssApp.

This may be premature, but I think in Win10 it allows you to disable the Security and Maintenance checks (Action Center) via registry tweaks. In Win7/8 I never found a way to do this and it had to be done by each user manually. I'll check it in VM and see if that works. If so, that would be great and I'll add it to the tweaks.:(

I also found a way to turn off WU automatic checking and notifying (not an option available in the UI).

I think after 1001 tweaks Win10 may be pretty useable :D

Glenn likes this.
  18. Glenn

Yeah there is 2 ways I can call it

%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %WinDir%\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll",ImageView_Fullscreen %WinDir%\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg

Just need to replace %WinDir%\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg with %1 and it will allow you to set the Open With, Send To or a cmd file... Let me know how you want to go about adding it, I am an Irfanview man myself so this is a non issue for me :)

----

http://superuser.com/questions/947672/how-to-bring-back-photo-viewer-in-windows-10

choice 4 will allow you to integrate it as default OR as a Tweak pickable from ssWPI - separate to the main LastOS Tweaks.

Code:
    Put this in a .reg file and run it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open]
    "MuiVerb"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,\
    69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,\
    00,20,00,50,00,68,00,6f,00,74,00,6f,00,20,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,\
    72,00,5c,00,70,00,68,00,6f,00,74,00,6f,00,76,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,\
    00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,2d,00,33,00,30,00,34,00,33,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\command]
    @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
    00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,72,00,75,00,\
    6e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,22,00,25,\
    00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,\
    25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,50,00,68,00,6f,\
    00,74,00,6f,00,20,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,50,00,68,00,\
    6f,00,74,00,6f,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,\
    00,22,00,2c,00,20,00,49,00,6d,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,\
    5f,00,46,00,75,00,6c,00,6c,00,73,00,63,00,72,00,65,00,65,00,6e,00,20,00,25,\

This will make all JPEG files viewable in Photo Viewer. If you want to make other types work as well just replace "jpegfile" in the code with "pngfile", "giffile", "Paint.Picture" (Paint.Picture is the .bmp type)

Find any picture, right-click, choose Open With, then find Windows Photo Viewer and select it as default program.

19. Trouba

Are you saying you can directly call the program without loading an image? Or are you talking about adding it to 'open with' options? And I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the replacing with 1%.

I found a bunch of tweaks that can add Photo Viewer to the Open With menu, but I'd like it if there was a way to call the viewer directly also, without loading an image.

20. -c0dez3ro-

21. Trouba

Thanks, c0de. I found a lot of pages like this but the tweak on that page is probably the best one in that it tries to make PV default, as well as add it to the classic Open With menu. The only thing in Win8-10 is the immersive panel that comes up when you change certain default associations, in that it asks you which program you want to make the default one (kind of like when you install a pdf viewer in Win8, but there already is a default app; it will then ask you through the immersive panel what program you want to use). So thanks :) It would be cool if we could somehow create a viable shortcut to open Photo Viewer directly (without loading an image) and then add that to SetupS and have it include it in the menu sorts.

22. Glenn

I made it load without an image, but it doesn't allow you to browse for a new folder so pressing previous and next will run the C:\Windows\System32 path, which is pretty useless (it just displays Loading on it's status bar - without a file name given). You don't need to use open with BUT you may or may not be able to automate adding the reg entries I linked to as you may need to physically double click the .reg and do the UAC if asked. By changing jpegfile it will set the default action for double clicking a .jpg.

But as I said before, what are the advantages of using PV over IrfanView? I mean you can easily open a folder to images, then using the View menu/tab (in explorer) to pick "Preview pane" which is in effect the same API PV uses to display it's images, but without a previous/next or full screen/zoom functionality being offered. I love Irfanview as it loads instantly, shows images sharp, offers batch resize/adjustments. By pressing the F key on an image you can set it's zoom to most you need. By pressing enter you can make it fullscreen, you can use left/right, space or left and right click to navigate through the images in the same folder. It doesn't make sense to me to put in so much worry for a tool that only seems to offer a very basic function that is available in ALL other image viewers. the Speed of PV is less than Irfanview IMO. Still I would prefer PV over Windows 8 Photo App - so if you wanted to make it default and it doesn't affect my ability to set it to use Irfanview instead, it's not gonna hurt as I've not found one person who actually likes Photo App :D

23. Trouba

So what I'm asking is, what is the line that allows you run Photo Viewer straight (without loading an image)?

I personally use FastStone Image Viewer (or Picasa sometimes) for default viewer because I like the fullscreen viewing, but what I'm trying to do is give Windows a default photo viewer that is not a Store app, meaning for desktop use especially. Since the Tweaks are really what one would install first on a new install, I didn't think it mattered associating with Photo Viewer, but I can see if you already set up a system and install the Tweaks as an afterthought, it might steal associations you've made personally with another viewer (but then again re-installing Irfan or Fastone ppApps would re-establish that). So really this is more about stealing default assoications away from the Store app (and making Photo Viewer available again), because on my Enterprise version which has no Store apps (which I would also do for personal sysprep images) there would not be the store viewer app. And regular Photo Viewer is completely hidden, even from contexts and immersive menus, so then you have no proper viewer at all :eek: Which is not to say that I would mind if those tweaks wouldn't make it into our public ssApp (or your Last10 build). But it would be something I'd like to know for a personal version of the ssApp. But yeah, I don't see how it would hurt your ability to use Irfan or any other viewer :D

I see what you're saying about loading PV directly and not having not having a button or menu to navigate to a location that has your images; but if you've noticed you can right-click inside the PV screen where you'll see "Open file location" and you can open images from there.

24. Glenn

All I do is open a picture and then it allows me to use your right click context menu method above to load in a different path/picture:

Using the following in a new .lnk or from a .cmd file will open it, you can also open it with the Run box or with command prompt

Code:
    %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %WinDir%\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg
    the default wallpaper that is included with Win 10 is where I point, so it should always be available on every Win 10 OS where the tweak will be used, if you don't like it then make a picture that is 2x2 pixels wide and white, that way you wont even know it's loaded a picture and it'll just work as expected still.

----Edit---

Oops, that was the alternative one from the actual .dll, here is the original code again to put in the registry, send to, or even as a .app association so it's listed in open with:

Code:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll",ImageView_Fullscreen %WinDir%\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg

Trouba likes this.
  25. -c0dez3ro-

ive been getting these pop ups since day one and ive turned them off but i still get them .
    Untitled.png