Windows 10 - Tweaks & Ideas

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by Trouba, Aug 13, 2015.

1. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

NTLite is kind of what WinReducer would want to be. I've tried using WR many times in the past but it was unable to work with sysprep'd images (unsolved registry problem that nuhi solved in a matter of minutes for NTLite). nuhi (who makes NTLite) is really miles beyond in skill so I would definitely recommend NTLite over WR, but then again NTLite is not free.

3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

NTLite is free, but not the latest version - well the warez sites I visit have it updated every now and then :p

Trouba likes this.
  4. Glenn

http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1336.0

http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=1308.0

I've been looking in to the LivePE stuff and it looks as tho ssWPI will need to be updated to x64 for it to be an option at the LivePE stage - it may be more suitable to just pick apps post install and leave the LivePE for imaging, installing, recovery and backups instead.

Trouba's work has been really good so far and once I get started on this project I doubt I'll be able to stop working on things for a while - Win 10 is a lot more fun with it's new things to discover and improve.

bphlpt, pacav69 and Trouba like this.
  5. Trouba

I agree with this.

I'll try that cmd line for automatic LastOS menu sort that you explained later on.

At this point we have a completely unattended install to desktop with tweaks applied and SetupS and a usable start menu (Classic Shell) installed at first logon (or, in other words, automated tweak and silent app support). Glenn will have to work his magic for user accounts with admin rights as he is less dictatorial about Windows installations than I am :devil: so instead of using the built-in Admin account that won't let you use the Store, like I am, he will make it more usable for people in general, which no doubt will also be better for installing on tablets in most cases.

bphlpt and pacav69 like this.
  6. pacav69

I agree with your approach

7. Glenn

I have been testing things out today and discovered I do not like the level WinPE (or Win10PE_SE) is at, I've had it fail to install, it can not run x86 .exe's anymore and overall it felt unstable, so I am using my original Dock method on top of the setup screen (Just testing I can mod the resources I want with this ones wallpaper):

Last10-Installer.png

I had to use AutoIt to make the Dock as it is the only language I have experience in that can compile x64 exe files. Currently it only highlights and lets you click on them (darkens them) but I'll make it so you can set your own apps/icons and it'll run the .exe in the paths you provide externally so you can make your own. I had to make it run Setup.exe as winpeshl.ini and startnet.cmd will wait for each .exe command to end before running the next one so I have to call it with itself.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  8. -c0dez3ro-

-c0dez3ro- Moderator Staff Member

awesome Glenn i cant wait to break it lol, i mean test it :p:D:lol::ROFLMAO:

9. Glenn

Last10-Installer.png

[Video no longer available]

To Integrate this you need to edit a few files within boot.wim:

X:\Windows\System32\winpeshl.ini:

Code:
    [LaunchApps]
    wpeinit
    "%ProgramFiles%\ssTek\Docket\Docket.exe"
    If you place the Docket folder (attached) to the Program Files it'll call it up, then you can edit the App ini or the options ini and change it to suit (you can set your own background and icons, fonts etc).

A bit more effort than I probably should have for what may turn out to be a temp dock - but no other dock is x64 compatible (for free) within WinPE at least.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2023
    -c0dez3ro- and Trouba like this.
  10. Trouba

I want an Aussie voice-over of this, please.

11. Trouba

I sort of got an autounattend.xml that I like that activated the built-in Admin account. I tried a bunch of them that I found online, and took elements of ones from Last builds, etc., to finally sort of arrive at one very similar to Last7's since in it we used built-in admin also. I did find some extra entries to control IE's behavior and some other things, which work well.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  12. -c0dez3ro-

ive been using the same .xml as trouba and so far its been working really well , but with win10 being new who knows what might happen later on down the road

13. Trouba

No you haven't, well, it's almost the same (I just put it together the other day) :D

14. -c0dez3ro-

Glenn how would i add sswpi and my apps ?

15. -c0dez3ro-

hahaha holding out on me i see

16. Glenn

You can't, ssWPI is a x86 app, so the only way to use it is post install, you can use the AutoInstall_10_x64.ini and use the AutoMenu_10_x64.ini to set the menu sorting silently if you want to enforce the apps, but I'll just be running ssWPI with the preset loaded in (not automated) or by adding a shortcut to the desktop to run ssWPI at the end of a fresh install, because taking away options isn't my thing and due to installing a new fast machine takes under 10 minutes, why even bother automating the apps when you can just make coffee and come back to finish the job.

I am going to make sure all the Win 10 detection stuff is working fully in ssWPI and that all the Settings stuff that is obsolete is hidden from Win 10 as some of us carry around a USB stick with more than just win 10 stuff to install other people's PC's with software/drivers/tweaks. The first job I have now is updating the app library in my build folders (it's 7 months old now).

Once I have everything tested, I'll put out a ISO that you can overlay and a few scripts that will edit boot.wim for you, this will allow an easy way to edit my work to suit your needs (or expand and share back with the team), the goal is to make a platform where switching to Win 10 will be easy for LastOS users who are not wanting to go vanilla on their own personal machines - rather than making an AIO easy to use install for every user - so chances are it'll be nearly 100% freeware and opensource, but a few fragments remain that are implanted into the way I chose to do things from the start due to some things being irreplaceable with the imitation products available.

The last major work I need to do is to update SetupS to sort the default Win 10 Menu items fully.

As for the amount of work Trouba put in to adding Admin to the default install, I am just glad I wasn't the one fighting that monster!

------

Oh and as for a bug in Windows 10 that I found that you can play with - Right click the Taskbar and pick Properties, then pick "Auto hide the taskbar", if your lucky it'll do nothing, if your unlucky it will spazz out for about 5 seconds and either restart explorer or flicker like crazy until you change it to disabled again :D

-EDIT-

Restarting explorer and closing off a heap of tray icons fixed it a little, but if I minimize an app it'll stay shown until I click on the desktop, so still buggy, just not as overlooked as I initially thought.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    -c0dez3ro- likes this.
  17. -c0dez3ro-

i tested out the auto hide taskbar and i didnt have no problem with it

------

what part of the Options.ini would i need to edit to fix whats circled in black
    dfhgkm_.png

18. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I guess this might be the right place to post this?

The following is from: http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/2015/09/windows-telemetry-and-tracking-linkpost.html

OK. I did warn you.
    Martin Brinkmann’s post provides links and overviews to (currently) six maybe-ready for primetime utilities that can help Windows 10 users manage and take (some) control of privacy in Windows 10.
    I highly recommend starting out there, and he has done a great job and a lot of work comparing the features and issues each of them present.
    I’ve built a list below using Martin Brinkmann’s initial Windows 10 privacy utility list and have further supplemented it with additional script-based and/or utilities I’ve found.
    1. Destroy Windows 10 Spying
    2. Disable Win Tracking
    3. DoNotSpy 10
    4. Windows 10 Privacy and s***
    5. Windows 10 Privacy Fixer
    6. W10 Privacy
    7. O&O Shut Up 10 - Note that this app provides the ability to set a system restore point before applying settings. That’s a feature that isn’t offered in many of these tools and can be challenging for some users to first do manually themselves. (review #1, review #2)
    8. Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10
    9. Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB - Mother of all tweak scripts - App Scripts - reboot.pro
    10. Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10 - The Windows Club - this app contains a wide range of Windows 10 system tweaks, but specific to this post, includes a “Privacy” tab that addresses telemetry, biometric, advertising, search, Cortana, Windows Update sharing, feedback polls, password reveals, Steps Recorder, Inventory Collector and the Application Telemetry gathering. ghacks review
    11. WindowsLies/BlockWindows · GitHub or via Block Windows Spying Simple Script to Stop Spying - Windows batch (BAT) file script (and other stuff) to do a bunch of privacy settings and tweaks. What is nice about this approach is that you can review and modify/REM stuff you don’t want or need if you would like.

pacav69 likes this.
  19. Glenn

Sorry C0de I've not got all the kinks worked out for setting the width of the Caption then, it does seem to misbehave in the WinPE compared to compiled on the desktop, I'll work on it today and upload a version that just makes it longer than it calculates using that method, or I'll try the BIG method I seen someone else come up with for detecting the width of the text/font you use. In the mean time you could try adding a few ..... to the end of the text in the AppsList.ini.

I have planned already to update apps etc today so it'll be tomorrow or so before I get to working on the dock again, but thanks for testing it so far :)

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  20. -c0dez3ro-

great , i tested it out in vm and it worked perfect . i just shorten the name to make it fit .for some reason PartitionWizard wouldnt load up when i added mine but i changed it to run Active@.Partition.Manager and it loaded up .they both do basicly the thing so i can use either one

21. Trouba

I think most of the security tweaks can be regged, and the further ones as included in hosts file. The only other thing could be disabling certain services (as has always been the case). I think the Last10 Tweaks already addresses at least 90% of all those things BP mentioned.

bphlpt and Glenn like this.
  22. Glenn

Approx 50 .apz updated today (still uploading a few, ending with LibreOffice), not too bad of an effort. Pretty busy for the weekend, but I'll try having a few more late nights to get my own personal build prepared (my PC is all gunked up with app building leftovers) so I can continue building on this base we're coming up with.

23. pacav69

how about something new for a theme 'Marbles' along the lines of "I've lost my marbles to win 10" :)
    here is a snapshot of the wallpaper images that i have.

marbles.jpg

bphlpt likes this.
  24. -c0dez3ro-

i like image 2 and image 11

25. Glenn

Images 2, 5 and 10 are almost usable the rest are not - Firstly a wallpaper must be low contrast or a large gradient difference between extreme differences (which these 3 almost do if not for...), second a wallpaper can NOT have bright spots, I have seen so many screens with a burnt in image/section that I would never use true white on a wallpaper again. I'll consider the marble concept, but I think it would take a lot of balls to go with that theme :D

bphlpt, pacav69 and Trouba like this.