Repository Applications Update Information

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Glenn, May 17, 2015.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Yeah, but the ppApp.cmd merely deletes qBittorrent.ini file. That's it. :)

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I edited my prior post, don't think it's the best method as it currently is, but if it works for you it has your name on it :)

3. The Freezer

Somehow the mere presence of that file somehow causes the reset. I figured if it was good enough for PortableApps.com... :)

I'm not sure how the previous way preserved the settings/data after a fresh OS install regardless. The qBittorrent.ini in %AppData% is the only the one that gets updated to reflect changes to setttings -- not the one in %AppPath% -- and anything in %AppData% will be destroyed after a fresh OS install.

Unless I'm missing something...

I'll go back and see how PortableApps.com preserved the %AppData% settings as I hadn't considered a fresh OS install at all.

4. Glenn

The way it works is if a qBittorrent.ini exists in the qBittorrent.exe path it'll use that, changing settings also changes in the local qBittorrent.ini, so no need to touch %AppData% at all. Well it used to be like that, maybe newer versions fail to update the ini in current path now?

5. The Freezer

As it turns out, even PortableApps.com's could not in fact preserve the settings when an update is installed.

So it took some hammering but I think I finally got it now. It's based off PortableApps.com so not only is it truly portable but it's dual-arch -- and most importantly it'll retain settings even through a fresh OS install. Ah, you gotta love the power of them ppApps. ;)

EDIT 1 --
    I made a slight refinement to it. It wouldn't update if it was already running; now it will. :)

EDIT 2 --
    Okay, last time, I swear. (Everytime I looked at it I'd see yet another improvement.) :lol:

Anyway, look for a timestamp of "4:32:31 PM".

bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  6. The Freezer

Updated qBittorrent to v4.2.1 and added associations for magnet links and .torrent files. :cool:
    Note --
    Do not turn associations on from Options; doing so will cause multiple instances of qBittorrent to launch.

vanTorX and bphlpt like this.
  7. The Freezer

For anyone interested, I've made an ssApp of the new Opera GX -- which I've found particularly useful for some of my special needs ;)

Opera GX has all the standard features of Opera but with some extra unique features such as limiters for Network, CPU, and RAM and Twitch integration, where users can browse the platform directly through the toolbar.

* GX Control's RAM limiter lets you choose how much memory Opera GX uses. The default setting in the RAM Limiter aims to strike a balance between memory use and experience. The browser will try to stay at or below the selected memory allotment, but it will prioritize experience over the strict memory amount. For example, if it's able to keep a stream going or a cloud-based file active, it will let the memory usage go slightly over the set limit. The Hard Limit setting forces the browser to stay under the chosen memory limit no matter what. The browser will not for any reason exceed the selected memory cap, even if browsing experience must be sacrificed.

* The Network limiter allows you to set maximum limits (upload and download) on how much of your network’s bandwidth you would like to devote to your browser. Opera GX will stick to that limit, which means your game or streaming service outside of the browser will run more smoothly with the larger network bandwidth at its disposal.

* The CPU Limiter lets you put a cap on how much of your computer's processing the browser uses, so the rest can be reserved for gaming. The goal of both GX Control features is to enable you to always be able to keep your browser open, even if you're playing or streaming a resource-heavy game.
    I've also included some important (to me, anyway) extensions:
    * Privacy Badger
    * Smart HTTPS
    * uBlock Origin (pre-loaded with ad block lists from FilterLists.com)
    * User-Agent Switcher
    * Chrome Extensions Installer​

I thought about including LastPass, but I didn't really know how many use that. But I did include a link to the extension to easily install it.

And finally, since Opera Sync "sees" Opera GX as a separate entity, one can easilly port their current Opera Bookmarks, History, Settings, and Passwords to the new Opera GX. Alternatively, Bookmarks can be exported/imported as an HTML file.
    Enjoy!

:cool:

-- EDIT --

I had forgotten to mention that uBlock Origin is pre-loaded with ad block lists from FilterLists.com

See also, Ad Blocking and best internet extensions ;)

vanTorX and bphlpt like this.
  8. The Freezer

Apparently everything except the extensions transfers/copies to a different PC. I thought I'd finally fixed that problem. Guess not. :(

9. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Nope. I just installed Opera.GX_v64.0.3417.150_x64_ssApp.apz, and the only extension installed was the Opera Ad Blocker, which I assume is part of the default install. I assume you'll try again?

10. The Freezer

Yes, the Opera Ad Blocker is the default extension (installed with the setup program). On the same PC they install alright -- even to/from vanilla Opera. :what:

Some sort of encryption or security certs, I wonder...

11. Glenn

The new GIMP Portable is both x86 and x64, it was twice as big as the last build, so I checked out the files - We could split it to be one arch per APZ but I am happy to have it supporting both as a ppApp, the ssApp version should be split if anyone makes it (I don't need it).

12. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I started using Opera, installed both normal (portable) and GX appz version of it and since I forgot about this thread, I didn't miss those extensions. But after I installed some and tried to replicate the same Opera on my laptop, I quickly found that extensions don't transfer between different PCs or re-installs of OS and some googling revealed that is how it is with any Opera install.

Now, I like the GX version even if I don't use any of its GX features, that is except one, its nifty themes. I just love how the colored line encompasses the currently active tab, making it easy to spot. Typically I have many tabs open all the time and it gets hard to spot which one is active. I tried in past some colored tabs or extension that highlights the active tab but it was all unsatisfactory one way or another.

I will test if the portable version would keep extensions when moved to different PC. Of the two apz, the normal Opera is portable ppApp, but the GX is not. I found there is a portable OperaGX at https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/opera-gx-portable and will try with that tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  13. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Full success. I copied the configured OperaGX Apz settings directory ('Profile' from AppData/Roaming/'Opera GX Stable'), renamed it to 'data' because that's what the portable OperaGX from PortableApps uses and replaced its data settings file with it.

I always backup the whole folder where the settings are, not the contents of it. If you copied just the contents, don't even need to rename the folder in which the settings files reside. And of course, just for completeness (I know you all know that), the path to settings is found in Help-'About Opera'. I find it weird that non-portable Opera installed into the AppData subfolder but at least it is all listed in that About Opera page.

Transferred the whole rared portable OperaGX to my laptop and it works, all its settings and most importantly all the extensions are still there. Only passwords are missing but that is known 'safety feature' of chromium browsers.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    The Freezer and Glenn like this.
  14. The Freezer

So what you're saying is that the extensions transferred to the laptop (a separate machine)? If so, I'm assuming they would also survive an OS reinstall.

15. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Uploading SRWare Iron Portable ppApp as we speak: I noticed with the last few versions of SRWare on my hardware that, for example, when I have google.com set as homepage, it takes long to load upon starting Iron. I checked the usual culprit -- Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings -> "Automatically detect settings" -- but I had already unchecked that box. Finally I figured out I had to turn off "hardware acceleration" in Iron settings (Advanced -> System). It would seem like this makes sense, but with no other Chrome-based browser have I had to disable this over many years. Iron is definitely the outlier here. Once disabled, Iron loads fast at startup and in general. Strange but verified this over two main version builds.

bphlpt likes this.
  16. bphlpt

Thanks, T! I've been using Iron for years and have wondered why it's gotten slow to load lately. I appreciate you finding this out.

mircea and Trouba like this.
  17. Trouba

I switched to iPhone 11 from a Samsung Galaxy S6 some years ago, but I did not like how Apple contains everything and makes it hard to transfer files when using PCs. However, Samsung.com had pretty good deals for unlocked phones with trade-in and discounts, and switching to Mint Mobile from T-Mobile made it to where it's still cheaper than just our T-Mobile plan for 2 people. So I got a S22+ now (still waiting on SIM) and was playing with Samsung DeX which allows you to run the Android OS on your PC (just uploaded the ssApp). This works great, it even supports drag and drop both ways, you can min or max the window (full screen), and control your phone via your PC and it does so wirelessly.

DeX installer does include Samsung USB drivers for mobile devices, but the silent install of DeX doesn't install these silently, but upon DeX first start up it prompts you to install these. However, the current DeX installer was made in Dec 2021 and there is a newer USB driver out which I included inside the ssApp; I can't get it to install silently so you'd have to run it manually if you want the latest version of the USB driver.

Note: the Samsung DeX site states Win7 and MacOS are no longer supported since Jan 2022. Since this DeX v2.4.0.27 installer was released in Dec 2021, I'm assuming it still works in Win7 and only future versions drop Win7 support. Not sure. Win10-11 remain supported.

Image 001.png

EDIT: Confirmed, this installer does still work on Win7. It just gives a message upon first start regarding support ending for WIn7, after which it won't remind you any more.

The Freezer, Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  18. Trouba

It appears the latest version of iTunes (for PC) that supports Win7 (and Win8) is v12.10.11.2. However, the last official version to support Win7 on the Apple site is said to be v12.10.10. Apple went on to support Win8 a bit longer, but the last Win8 version (12.10.11.2) is confirmed to work on Win7 also.

So I'm uploading 4 arch-specific installers to cover Win7-11:

Win7-8:
    iTunes_v12.10.11.2_x64_Win7-8_ssApp.apz
    iTunes_v12.10.11.2_x86_Win7-8_ssApp.apz

Win10-11:
    iTunes_v12.12.4.1_x64_Win10-11_ssApp.apz
    iTunes_v12.12.4.1_x86_Win10_ssApp.apz *

* Note that the x86 version is for Win10 only, since there is no Win11 x86.

Only the Win10-11 versions will get updated going forward.

Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  19. Glenn

I think it was over 8 years ago that I said it was only a matter of time before phones would replace PC's for some people.. DEX is better than I was expecting it to be, Wireless tech good enough to transmit screens etc is awesome, but you get 0 lag if you plug in with a HDMI to Type-C, so you can actually use it as an emulation machine, even using xBox S controllers (for example) to control it and even use the headphone jack in the controller to hear audio... it's all getting exciting again with AI chips, 5 and even 6ghz CPU cores, Upscaling and way more features... if the Metaverse interface is any good, we may just have something as exciting as when Home computers were first released... I don't want to get my hopes up as many things in the past have felt like they would be great and they sort of fizzled out.. this has more potential than those did though as it's a ecosystem and multiple hardware progressions working together and not just one company who's goal is making only money fast, instead of building a universe that will be willing to pay to have certain features.

Anyway, thanks for researching about iTunes and sharing it on here so we can check back as needed, I often remember information exists on LastOS, but don't remember it's specifics, so a quick search finds it again for me :D

bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  20. Trouba

I need to get one of those cables because I haven't been able to try it straight to a monitor just yet. I guess I'd need a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo too if I wanted to control the OS easily.

By the way, even if the DeX installer did work on Win7, later when I tried with the S22 I was not able to get DeX to actually work with my phone when using Win7. The DeX window would just blink out when trying to connect. The phone eventually gave me the message that "wireless connectivity does not work on Windows 7" but then the wired connection (USB-C to PC's USB port) does not seem to work at all with the newer phones from what I experienced and then read about. But the wireless connection to PC works fine in Win11. I tried an older version of DeX for Win7 but that didn't work either, so I think perhaps with older Samsung phones Win7 might work but not newer phones (?).

Of course, being an Android phone, you can still easily drag and drop books, videos, songs, etc., from the phone as a drive in explorer, which iPhone won't let you do at all unless you have iTunes installed, so if you're still using Win7 then that remains an option of course ;)

But yes, pretty amazing stuff :D

21. Trouba

The current AIMP Player (5.03.2391) introduces a 64-bit version, so the pp/ssApps are now dual-arch.

bphlpt likes this.
  22. Trouba

Calibre 6.x utilizes Qt6, and the portable we use for the ppApp is now x64-only (and requires a 64-bit CPU) and requires Win8 and up. So we can keep v5.x in the repo for Win7 users, etc (I renamed the v5.44 ppApp with "Win7-11").

mircea, Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  23. bphlpt

Hey T, just curious. For us Win 7 diehards, have you looked at this - https://forum.qt.io/topic/133002/qt-creator-6-0-1-and-qt-6-2-2-running-on-windows-7 Two different guys have posted patched files for Qt 6.2.2 (https://forum.qt.io/post/695718) and Qt 6.3 (https://forum.qt.io/post/714608 and reference https://forum.qt.io/post/711960) for use on Win 7. Obviously, this should only be used on Win7 and the official versions should be used for Win 8+. I tried to install your latest 6.1 Calibre ppApp and installed the QT 6.3 patches listed above, but it wouldn't launch. I'm guessing it's because the patches are for Qt 6.3.0, while the ones from your ppApp are 6.3.1. I've looked for 6.3.0 version files, including from here- https://download.qt.io/archive/qt/6.3/6.3.0/single/ and here - https://www.filehorse.com/download-qt/download/ - but I haven't found the files I seem to need. Those seem to be source files not the bin versions. The 5.44 version of your ppApp runs perfectly well, but just figured that if we could get patched versions of the latest files...

Trouba likes this.
  24. Trouba

That would be great if we could get the latest patched Qt6 files, BP. Let me know if you run across these, we may be able to integrate these into the install.wims for Win7, that would breathe some new life into 7 for sure.

25. Glenn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(software)

v6.3.0 is a LTS version, meaning you might get away with it for many other QT based apps, but the very latest is 6.3.1 currently, released on 14 June 2022. As someone reversed engineered it and provided a way to patch source and the build environment there is a high chance someone will compile it with the new versions (if using older patched v6 isn't suitable/usable). But I am sure anyone taking the time to patch it would be willing to spend more time if one of us posts a request in his thread as I know any work I put in that I get a reply to I make sure to spare some effort for. I don't use Win 7 myself or have the time to debug, hell I doubt I'd even have the skills to do what they did as I am not a c/++# coder.

Or email nickdademo@gmail.com directly.