Repository Applications Update Information

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Glenn, May 17, 2015.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Thanks, guys. FWIW, I also tried Calibre 6.0.0, but it was also built using 6.3.1, so same results. :(

At Glenn's suggestion, I joined forum.qt.io, as bplastos, and posted the following post:

I also messaged the guy that had posted the 6.3.0 files with this message

I'll let you know if I get any response.

@Glenn, I don't know who nickdademo@gmail.com is. Can you please enlighten me?

Trouba likes this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

That eMail address is the uploader of the latest 6.3.0 compiled version on the thread you linked to. I just happened to notice it and thought it would be a good way to get their attention (if they still checked that eMail).

bphlpt likes this.
  3. bphlpt

Ah, I finally saw where you found his email address. He's the one I PM'd the message above, but that's a good idea to also email him. The original guy who opened the thread has already responded, but not with anything helpful, yet.

4. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

FileZilla.FTP.Client_v3.60.2.0_x64+x86_ppApp.apz fixed (had missing "xrc" resource folder).

bphlpt likes this.
  5. bphlpt

Regarding Calibre:

I was able to get in touch with Nick D'Ademo Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the author of the Qt patches, and he was kind enough to produce an updated set of Qt 6.3.1 patches. (they are available here - https://web.tresorit.com/l/iWnTl#yGMg45iqZObF8miEZt7FaA - and in the thread referenced above) Unfortunately, applying them made no difference in trying to launch Calibre 6.0.0 or 6.1.0. The patches have been tested by others in the https://forum.qt.io/topic/133002/qt-creator-6-0-1-and-qt-6-2-2-running-on-windows-7 thread and verified to work, at least when compiling a new Qt 6.3.1 Widgets app, so there seems to be something else preventing the newer Calibre apps from running under Windows 7. Maybe Python changes, but most likely something in the Calibre files themselves. It will take someone with more diagnostic smarts and app hacking abilities than I have to solve this.

Trouba likes this.
  6. Trouba

How did you apply these?

7. bphlpt

I installed Calibre.Portable_v6.1.0_x64_Win8-11_ppApp.apz then copied the 3 patched files over the existing ones, then tried to launch the app.
    I also tried it by installing calibre-portable-installer-6.0.0.exe, downloaded directly from Calibre, copied the 3 files, then tried to launch the app.
    In both cases, nothing happens that I can tell. I was hoping a simplistic fix would work, but no.

I've just noticed these 2 posts in the originally referenced thread, which seem to indicate that it is Python that is the source of the continued problem:

hskoglund about 9 hours ago

Hi, Calibre 6.1 uses Python 3.10 which does not work on Windows 7 :-(

Grdes about 3 hours ago
    @hskoglund and @bplastos
    Use the QT6 files from the link above (great work btw) and then run Calibre using this: https://github.com/vxiiduu/VxKex in Win10 compatibility for calibre.exe It should work now just fine. At least it starts for me.

Trouba, hopefully you can understand what @Grdes is talking about?

You also might be able to utilize what hskoglund referenced above, the link is https://discuss.python.org/t/windows-7-support-for-python-3-9-or-3-10-without-a-fork/13842

8. Trouba

Too bad there isn't an OS-wide patch or something :(

It may be useful for some apps, like newer Topaz or such which rely on Qt6.x

9. bphlpt

Progress.

@Grdes said in Qt Creator 6.0.1 and Qt 6.2.2 running on Windows 7:

@hskoglund and @bplastos
    Use the QT6 files from the link above (great work btw) and then run Calibre using this: https://github.com/vxiiduu/VxKex in Win10 compatibility for calibre.exe It should work now just fine. At least it starts for me.

@Grdes - Please forgive my ignorance, but can you explain in detail, or point me to some detailed instructions, of how exactly to run Calibre using that project? And please be clear. Are you talking about running the portable version of Calibre (I hope)?

EDIT: I THINK I figured out how to install VxKex v0.0.0.2. I installed https://github.com/vxiiduu/VxKex/releases/download/Version0.0.0.2/KexSetup_x64Rel.exe. But still no success.

I installed https://download.calibre-ebook.com/6.0.0/calibre-portable-installer-6.0.0.exe, which seems to install. I replaced the Qt files with the latest patched Qt 6.3.1 files from @dmginc, then enabled VxKex for Calibre\calibre.exe and set it for Win 10 compatability. (Was that the ONLY file that needs VxKex enabled?) Again, nothing happens when I try to launch the app. Did you have to do anything to get around the Python 3.10 incompatibility issue?

EDIT2: Partial success! If I get a version of api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll from here - https://github.com/nalexandru/api-m.../0.3.1/api-ms-win-core-path-blender-0.3.1.zip - and copy it to Calibre\app\bin, then Calibre will indeed launch. But it won't do many of Calibre's functions. The eBook viewer doesn't work, it won't edit an eBook, nor will it convert to or from any of the eBook formats. I tried enabling VxKex for ALL of the Calibre exe files I could find, but no change. It launches, but doesn't really work. So a step in the right direction, but...

10. bphlpt

Here's the final response I got from @Grdes above:

@bplastos

1. Download normal nonportable MSI Calibre Version: 6.1.0 installer from here:
      https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows
    2. Remove the Windows version check from the installer using SuperOrca MSI editor
      https://www.pantaray.com/msi_super_orca.html
      That means open the msi in SuperOrca, go to LaunchCondition and edit the Win version there or fully drop that row (right click, drop row) and save the edited msi file in SuperOrca as new file.
    3. Install Calibre from edited installer without the win version check
    4. Go to the installed Calibre folder and replace there QT files with the modified files from this topic.
      That means replace Qt6Core.dll and Qt6Gui.dll inside bin folder and also replace qwindows.dll inside plugins/platforms folder.
    5. Right click calibre.exe and go the the VxKex tab. Enable here:
      a) Enable VxKex for this program
      b) Report a different version of Windows and set that to Windows 10
    6. I have also copied the dll from api-ms-win-core-path-blender-0.3.1.zip to my Windows/System32 folder in the past, so maybe this has also some effect to this.
    I didn't have much time to test Calibre functions yet, but I've tried to convert some PDF to MOBI and it works for me.

edit: but yeah the ebook editor and internal ebook viewer doesn't work for me as well. Those are external exe files and it doesn't launch at all. Maybe some more QT files needs to be patched?

11. Trouba

It's interesting, but obviously very hairy. I don't think this provides much hope in general, but maybe for specific apps that one would really need or want to run. At least it seems that way, as things are now.

12. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Sometimes you have to give up, especially when it comes to keeping anything functioning in windows 7, Microsoft Killed it. I understand the 'I want this to run on this' but in the end, we all will have to call it a 'end of a era'.

Suggestion is to gather all apps that work in windows 7 and hold them for your needs.

13. Glenn

I agree with Ghost, the version of Calibre that functions perfect on Windows 7 will continue to do so and offers all the functionality you need. the newer versions will get newer features, but in the grand scheme of things, these are not needed to convert and upload your existing eBooks to your existing devices and possibly even newer eBooks will not change formats with new features for quite some time. Eventually you will be forced to use a different OS to windows 7 on your actual hardware if you intend to stay online, there is nothing I can do (like with SOX, Secure Open XP) that would still allow you to use the internet without being prone to being targeted to hacking. It's just the way the tech industry functions. If someone can steal data or money, they will, worst of all they Automate it and sell it anonymously, so you really can't trust your main OS to be that unsecured. Yes you can lock ports and use firewalls, but the fact is once MS stop patching the bugs in their actual OS, many system .dll's will have access to the internet even with all the methods you add to lock down your OS.

Security is the ONLY reason you can't stay on older Windows and only if your online with it. So the choice is potentially being hacked or upgrade to a newer "more secure" OS.

14. Glenn

I have attempted to make a script for AIMP to monitor for those darn RunDLL errors you get (but only on a fresh install), AIMP always worked fine even with the errors, but they are unsightly, so hopefully it fixes that.

-EDIT-

Yep fixed it :)

-EDIT-

ssRegen would try to re-run the script and throw and error, so I renamed ssApp.cmd to StopError.cmd and added it to the .app file, now it works as we want.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    Trouba likes this.
  15. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Noticed this Calibre discussion, I gather bphlpt can't install it on win7, not even ssApp?
    Would this 'normal' portable work for you? Don't some portables contain all they need to run and so can run on older OS?
    Calibre 6.6.1

I must say I looked at this app several times because it is frequently mentioned and not just here but didn't find it useful if all I want is read ebooks, mostly epub format.
    Maybe if one has huge library and needs to organize it? Or convert book formats? For just reading this seems to provide fairly bare interface (black or sepia background only, rest you need to look up your own, most readers supply some themes variety and easier font size setting, line spacing etc). I use IceCream reader but likely there some even better ones out there. For example this one doesn't display properly Mobi format.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  16. Glenn

Nah, portable apps that have dependencies will still not function without the correct system APIs available to them. If it were possible to just include extra runtime files then it would work, but this uses a new method to draw the widgets used on the forms and no amount of including extra files will allow this kind of low level access to a OS not designed to do what it calls. You can write a wrapper layer that converts to usable system calls, but once you get to that level of hacking it to work it can be unstable and problematic and very hard to keep updated. So if the old version still does everything you need, you are stuck on that one as the OS has been abandoned by the app creator for whatever reason they choose to do so.

vanTorX likes this.
  17. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I suppose you guys know all options but anyway, the other day I noticed that 'Tiny' windows editions maker is still active and now it also includes win10, both 64 & 32 bit. Maybe install it in Virtual Box and run Calibre inside it?

I tend to think security on older OS is not that big issue if you are conservative with your web browsing (like not having anything to do with modern trending, popular websites and any social ones (FB, Twitter and the likes) and use ad blockers (ublock origin and noscript extensions)

https://beebom.com/what-is-tiny10-lightweight-windows-10-how-to-install/

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  18. bphlpt

Thanks for your interest, @vanTorX. Calibre v5.44 still works fine for me on Win 7. Yes, the main use of Calibre for me is it's ability to convert book formats. That includes downloading books from Amazon Kindle, when used with an older version of Kindle for PC, removing the DRM for local storage and then being able to store and read the ebooks on other devices and readers.It also has some useful addons to assist in removing DRM, downloading online posted stories into locally stored epub versions, and then being able to update those stories as additional chapters are added, etc.

You are correct that if all I wanted to do was read an epub it would be easier to read it in another standalone reader. Thanks for the recommendation of the IceCream reader.

Trouba likes this.
  19. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

You can get doctored apps like icecream reader here haxnode.net
    Probably not the best reader, I can imagine how it could be better but am lazy to look for something better and it does the job satisfactorily enough.

FCPortables and Filecatchers are two other sites I go to for portable apps, maybe you find something useful there

But sometimes I try many commercial apps from these sources and finally find the best one for what I want to do here in apz repo (like Avidemux to edit commercials from movies which is free app to boot). PortableApps.com also has a huge lineup.

bphlpt likes this.
  20. Trouba

Added ImgDrive (virtual drive software). I had been using it for a little while; before that I used DVDFav Virtual Drive for a long time but had some issues with it on Win11 every now and then. ImgDrive had one issue, though, and that is it didn't have silent switches. So I made it in to a ssApp a little while ago but didn't put it in the repo because it won't install silently. I commented on the YubSoft page that I liked it but that it needed silent switches and today I got an email back that they added switches! So that's great, but... it opens the website upon install (loads browser). So one thing at a time, I don't want to spoil the good vibes at this moment and so will request they change that later :D It adds a "Mount image" context menu so you can right-click an .iso easily; once mounted, it adds an unmount context as well. The installer I used in the ssApp is a combined x64, x86, and ARM64 instalelr, but they do have dedicated x64 and x86 installers as well.

21. Trouba

Yes, I did this recently and was reminded of that limitation, so locally I made this ppApp: "Kindle.for.PC_v1.19.2.46095_(works.with.Kindle.Converter)_ppApp" to remind myself what the last version of Kindle for PC was that worked for that :)

22. bphlpt

I haven't tried Kindle Converter. Are it's capabilities similar or better than those of Calibre with DeDRM plugins? Since it seems that you might convert more books than I do, at least to PDF, it probably is.

I've tended to convert to DOCX and read with Atlantis quite often, allowing me to easily provide edited feedback as appropriate.

To get the books into the format I need, I use Kindle for PC v1.17 (one of the versions also recommended by Kindle Converter), and Calibre.Portable_v5.44.0_Win7-11_ppApp (thanks, T!) with the plugins: KFX Input v1.49, KFX Output v1.64, DeDRM v7.21, Obok DeDRM 7.21, and FanFicFare v4.16 - most of which are regularly updated. Then I just need to get the books into my Kindle account, including via Kindle Unlimited where possible, download the books with Kindle for PC, copy the azw form of the book into Calibre, then convert it into whichever format I want. Many format options are available including, PDF, epub, mobi, DOCX, txt, and several others. I can then copy the book, which is now named correctly and DRM free, from the Calibre library to wherever I want to read, edit, or whatever.

It would be ideal if Calibre, or another app such as Kindle Converter, was able to download directly from my Kindle account and do the conversion, but I have not seen anything that makes that possible. This method works for me and it looks like the method using Kindle Converter is similar. Both, though multi-stepped, are easy, straight forward, and fairly quick.

Trouba likes this.
  23. Trouba

ImgDrive call to website has been fixed in v1.9.6 (y)

I'm not sure, I haven't really used Calibre for that... I've only converted a few books from Kindle as I never got invested in the platform. More than 95% of books I have are in PDF format to begin with, usually real book scans with OCR layer. In the case of documents (.doc(x), .rtf) I use Atlantis, it is the best text processor for my use. I then use DoroPDF to export to PDF as Atlantis doesn't have native PDF export (SoftMaker's TextMaker -- also good -- does). I use Calibre sometimes to change fonts in pdf, it seems to be better at that than some PDF editors. eBook formats have a lot of limitations as far as formatting, layout, etc., which makes reading them (or creating them!) less enjoyable. For anything with tables, pics, diagrams, PDF is the way to go anyway. Reading for longer periods of time I don't enjoy on PC, for that I prefer tablets. So usually when I make PDFs myself from .docx/rtf I save in A5 format with 3 or 4 pt margins and with 12pt font size or so. I don't like a lot of the ebook fonts like Droid Serif etc, so I usually go with something more classical like Linux Libertine, especially since it includes all the diacritical marks that TNR does, which only a few fonts do.

bphlpt likes this.
  24. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Is that like UltraIso that can mount iso images as virtual drive, 'just' that it mounts also other formats? Actually not sure if UIso is limited to just iso format mounting.

As to that website launching, would the url addition to hosts file fix it?

You mean Atlantis, the word processor? When it was starting out, they offered to those who would make advanced payment lifetime license and in a stroke of idealism, I paid. But some years afterwards, probably quite a few years, there was a 'time window' during which everybody was supposed to download new version to keep the license, or else lose it. Of course I missed it, only found out some years after that option... but I was always able to get new version from torrents and later on from those sources I posted above.
    Atlantis is quite capable word processor, makes me wonder if it has some mode for book reading.

I like very much if there is some mock up looking like book pages or at least format like book text, very rarely I would even consider reading as plain txt or rtf format, even pdf or html doesn't tempt me as especially the latter is a wall of text on a webpage without any special formatting, at least in my experience with book formats from archive.org

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    bphlpt likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

ImgDrive Has a little more to it, from my many years ago use it would create a .vhd and such, am I wrong, Oh and yea I am still alive LOL.

EDIT: No its not the same app, I need and beer LOL.