Linux issues

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Glenn, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

need to invest in phones today ......................... ........................................................................... maybe tablets ............................................................. ........................................................... and all the medications that everyone does not need ...................................................................................................... ..........................................................

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

True, but the problems arise when a user can not install a printer, scanner or other hardware the way they expect. Or when something breaks, getting help with it. The issue is not many people know where to navigate in each Linux as they all move stuff EXCEPT in the Shell/Console and many users are scared of that. So all stuff that can be worked with, but people are a strange creature and if it's different they automatically assume it's worse/bad.

I think Linux will get there, it just needs to be adopted more and with Windows 10 eventually being unsupported next year, what's stopping users trying Linux :)

-EDIT-

Ghost, that is the truth though, a high number of people have abandoned Windows and PC's and moved to Tablets etc, meaning it's going to be a non issue as those who are smart enough to need a PC, will not tolerate older hardware. so maybe they all should end up in land fill.

3. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

To me it boils down to what you can do on the OS. Meaning apps more than anything (and yes, drivers too). To be forced into some sucky office suite or have to do everything online because specialized apps aren't made for a platform, etc., it then really begs the question why one would want to move away from Windows. As far as PC's go, the ability of general users to work with computers is often tied in with what they already know -- computers at work, school, etc. General users will more easily get along with what has been traditionally/generally out there that they have already encountered and with which they are are most familiar. So when it's about low-threshold scenarios like that (and computer repairs -- i.e., new/replaceable hardware) then Windows is simply the go-to OS. Linux will not be filling that type of scenario, not generally speaking. A few people may like or prefer it out of such a pool, but it won't do for most people. Windows may be proprietary, but there's also reasons for its success over the years. The argument for Linux for general users then becomes an "anti-Windows" quest rather than what's best or easiest for them. Just my thoughts.

4. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

Many companies expect their employees to use the company's computers provided which is typically installed with windows and office and the company sends their employees on courses to improve productivety giving them a Return Of Investment (ROI). If companies used linux on their computers perhaps linux would gain more of the sharemarket of desktop software. Businesses would popup providing linux and the free office courses that would compete agaist ms.
    Back in the erly 2000s file server multi user software between unix, novell and windows was happening and Linux was trying to get into the market using redhat as the preferred platform and server vendors were offering deals for these products but ms pushed them out as well as others. Now ms is dominating the market.

5. Trouba

That may be so to a degree, but then the push for other OS's isn't all a picture of principle & effectiveness, either. I don't get the feeling this thread is about servers, but rather about what a good alternative would be for general users. Which is good to consider; but unless easily adopted and adapted to, it simply won't work. That's the reason I will say that for 99% of general users, Linux is not the solution. My view for general use scenario is that Windows is the go-to. If you can get 3 to 4 years out of an install for people, you're lucky in any scenario. And I think various editions of Windows could handily address that -- and with much less headache than alternatives.

6. Glenn

Well I am looking at it from a Old Hardware perspective with basic users and once security for Windows 10 isn't available to them, what choice will they have, Windows 11 will not install for them. But yes, I agree, Windows is the best option for New hardware and the best features. Linux has features advanced users need and it is good for people who like to tinker or like a challenge. But to compare Linux to Windows is really impossible as the difference is similar to a Automatic car and a Manual Truck with all the gears and a touchy clutch - yes users could in theory get from A to B, but if they've never drove a truck before it's not gonna be fun :D

Wanna see what I mean about security, watch Bee Keeper <- yes it is still possible to be scammed, but it requires someone to target them, more so than dodgy webpages, doc's and redirected links/emails as these do get blocked by the OS, Browser and others - even though we usually turn Defender off etc, if the majority of people turned it off then things would get much worse because a lot of scammers don't bother if their target base is not worth their efforts or wasting a exploit on. Lets face it, old hardware users do not usually have a bank full of cash to steal.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  7. Trouba

:D much fun

Well, 21h2 IoT until 2032 is there for them -- that should work fine, right?

8. Glenn

That's the plan :D

9. Glenn

Another OS I've found that seems even better than biglinux is regata-os https://get.regataos.com.br/, also looks Brazilian. Anyway, I'll play with it some more and see if it holds up better than some of the other dodgy ones. I still prefer KDE to all the other desktops (even if it does use more ram and need more hardware), but a nice GUI is more important than every MB of ram left over :D

pacav69 likes this.
  10. Glenn

Screenshot_20240405_212925.png

The above linux, once I installed SetupS and then MS Runtimes AIO, I installed Adobe PS 2019, look what works in Linux. I am gonna go make my PC dual boot to it and see how much other stuff I can get working without needing to switch back to Windows when I want to use certain tools.

2024 may even work (according to a Reddit thread I was looking at, but I only had an old AMD GFX Laptop I tested this on so far, so I wont know until I do my main rig.

-EDIT-

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=41345

Seems GPU acceleration may not be 100% yet for 2024, but progress is progress :)

The Freezer, Trouba and pacav69 like this.