Linux issues

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Glenn, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I was testing out different distro's of Linux the other day and was thinking what makes windows better than it, so I thought I'd share it so if solutions are found or ideas are had, we can all move over to the free OS that gives users choice - yeah some of us are old dogs and may not ever shift away, but sooner or later, Linux's open nature will mean it will be more user friendly than a Co-Pilot driven OS that does what it wants and never listens to any of it's users.

Driver Issues - So many Kernel versions with mostly monolithic drivers means You can NOT have one OS on a USB to install every PC/Laptop, Windows 10 will work on almost any dual core PC but I've always had issues with Power Management (Sleeping), Graphics not accelerated or even able to boot to the desktop, and more recently Older WiFi chips in Laptops have been dropped from the newer Kernels.

Installation:
    Complex and Slowdowns - Many Distro's make the installation process WAY more complex and it can take minutes to go between each step, so instead of doing all the users choices up front and installing in the background while it asks for the users settings, it just seems backwards to me.

OS Usage:
    -

App Management:
    -

I'll edit this post more when I have time, just thought I'd start it as when I am not editing photo's I've been playing with Linux.

bphlpt, Ghost and The Freezer like this.
  2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Not to mention hardware requirement issues such as Secure Boot or TPM. None of which any of my hardware have. The only way I can run Win11 is via VirtualBox 7.x LOL

3. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Have you tried the work around for win11, is to take the install.wim/.esd and put it into a win 10 .iso and delete the win 10 .wim/.esd ?

Or use a LastOS win 11 build to see what happens?

The Freezer likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

My only issue with Linux is my apps I have ( games paid for ) is not supported in Linux

Side note: Make a post of all the distro's that you feel are good to use for the Linux side as a Dual boot, maybe that could start US on that path to using Linux and get used to it.

5. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Rufus also prompts to remove those hardware requirement, Freezer, so if you use USB to install from you can have Rufus remove those requirements. Or just use a Last11 (with Win10 PE), which is kind of what Ghost is saying too, it'll bypass those requirements as well. My system(s) are also older, coming to think of it -- REAL OLD -- but I've been running Win11 the whole time without issue.

The Freezer and Ghost like this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Point Freeze to the win11 Slim you did a few months back, might make a difference?

7. Trouba

I've got a Moment 5 lite in my folder: Last11-Pro-23h2-Lite-M5_LivePE10_2024.03.16.iso

Glenn likes this.
  8. Glenn

Well as far as I can tell from my own Tests:

Best All rounder (so far):
    BigLinux:
    https://www.biglinux.com.br/

I got the 61 Kernel for older hardware, but the 67 Kernel is there for new hardware if you want to try it.

What I like about it is it boots on more hardware than the others, it has WINE/Bottle and Lutris preinstalled for Windows Apps and your own games and with Steam/GOG etc all ready to sign in to and run games with. It is a little tacky with the default wallpapers, but they are easy to change. The Wifi worked no problems and it uses the newest KDE, which is my favorite GUI in Linux. It also lets you pick the Layout style so if your used to XP, Win 10 or Mac or even Linux, it will let you pick it during install/logon.

The only down side I come across was the App Store was a bit crappy and could use replacing with a better populated one.

Ghost and The Freezer like this.
  9. Glenn

I am unable to install the USA or AUS in Virtualbox of this release, I have given 6gb ram and pleanty of HDD size, I have disabled TPM etc, but it should still install right?

Attached Files:

10. Trouba

It shouldn't matter if you choose Win11 or Win10 for the guest OS settings (I usually just use Win10 as it seems to detect the 10 PE), but did you check the "skip unattended uninstallion" box? It needs to be checked as of course it uses its own unattend.

Just installed in VB from that .iso with WIn11 guest settings (skip unattend), it works fine (see attached pic).

Unless something went wrong with upload (doubtful), so to be sure the .iso MD5 hash is: AF3F92517216B6C3605400FD54435CEC (EDIT: just checked, the iso on FTP has the same hash, so unless it's something on your end.)

I've also installed live with it, no issues there either. Let me know what you find. Else show me the VB settings you have.

EDIT: lol, even installed it with Linux guest OS settings, it works with that too. In short, I can't get it to fail :emoji_shrug:

Attached Files:

• l11.png
      l11.png
      File size:
      725.8 KB
      Views:
    Ghost likes this.
  11. The Freezer

Impressive. :cool:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get very far. I had already set "English - United States" at startup; but "Install System" is only in Portuguese. :what:

12. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Is this in Virtual Box? ( I did see you mentioned VB ) as I ran into this same issue about a year ago and could not figure it out, know I now what to look for in ( VB )

I use VMware for the ease of a quick test, for me very simple, VB if you want to do the system prep all the time, and the .vhd support is native in VB not VMware, there is that trade off.

13. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I just got the 67 , here we gooooo

14. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Click the middle button/pane the Blue pill :cool:

15. Steve Hedges

Steve Hedges belveder

How about Mint, that is supposed to be quite good

16. Glenn

Everyone says that but I think they are just repeating what they hear. Mint is a little better than Ubuntu, but has the same issues as Ubuntu. That said it is fairly inclusive and compared to the old days, it's a dream.

17. Glenn

I had the start up wizard in the wrong language, but the actual OS was english and fine.

18. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

At this point I am out of the race for anything Linux based, nothing works for my needs, but I did see the basic usefulness of it.

19. Glenn

Trouba, you were correct, Your OS works fine, something iffy with the settings for the VM of the 11 testbench I've been using... I used another and away it went :D

Trouba likes this.
  20. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Has anyone tried the Linux distro Zorin (https://zorin.com/os/)? It seems to be oriented toward Windows users.

Ghost and The Freezer like this.
  21. The Freezer

I've looked at Zorin before; it's also geared toward gaming as well. And MacOS users too. Unfortunately, the Windows and macOS interfaces and themes -- such as Windows 11 or "Windows Classic" (Windows 7) themes -- are only available in the paid version.

22. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I just installed it this morning ( VM ) and found it is ok, I see the windows Xp ish 7 side there. As a quick test it did have some appeal to me.

@The Freezer , yea I seen that the Pro was a pay to play, but no deal breaker as all OS's today forward will change, it has happened before and it will happen again with UI changes and all the bloatware and spyware , AD's, commercials, video popping up over the top of the article you are reading, is todays standards that make these people money as they hope you click the little TINY X to close the AD or video and you miss and open up clickbait imma shut up LOL.

23. Glenn

Yeah Zorin is highly regarded, but I found it wasn't solid enough for my liking, I did a basic OS/App update and then it refused to boot again.. I don't have time for that sort of amature issue, it wont get a 2nd chance with me. Imagine installing it on 5 laptops and having them come back because the user did an update.

24. The Freezer

Ah, a bit too much like Windows, then.

Glenn likes this.
  25. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

when you look at what a user would like to have as an OS the basic abilty to surf the internet, create emails, an ocasional word processing, watch a video, check social media and maybe a game or two, What more do you need?
    If the OS is linux does it meet the basics?