Academic discussion - computer hardware security...

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by zdevilinside, Feb 17, 2020.

1. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

I have seen a lot about how the US doesn't want to allow Huawei to provide hardware for various programs. I often wonder just how hard it would be for a government-owned company to put a backdoor into hardware for the government to be able to conduct industrial espionage.

By the way, Glenn Greenwald reported that Snowden told him that Cisco was putting backdoors into their systems for the US government to use to "spy" on Internet traffic.

The Freezer likes this.
  2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Those Cisco allegations have never been confirmed -- only denied.

But really, who finds it hard to believe that there are no US backdoors?

Cisco firewall backdoor developed by NSA

3. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

They can deny all they want but the people that have actually worked on those things know the truth. I happen to know the truth but I am not allowed to talk about it due to the National Security Act of 1947 provisions. I think you can put 2 and 2 together and get either 4 or 22. ;)

Glenn likes this.
  4. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Remember that time the US "hit back" at China for their hacking, but in doing so utilized tools and methods that the Chinese then analyzed and reverse-engineered and is now using worldwide to spy on governments and economies? Great move. Australia has been under massive Chinese hacking and spying as well, for years. Just this last week this came out:

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/24/world/asia/24reuters-australia-security.html
    https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/02/major-chinese-spy-ring-busted-in-australia.php

The Chinese are further "investing" in poor countries in Asia, Africa, etc., basically anywhere were precious resources (African countries) or trade corridors (Pakistan) are located. They are basically stealing all the research and economic models from other countries and making poor nations with resources indebted to them, all with an eye on world domination. It isn't anything less sinister than that.

I can only see the US position get worse, given that top levels of government are now infiltrated by people who espouse anti-American values and who are clearly beholden to Russia and other world actors. People have to remember that the psychos never stop, they are relentless -- in part because they're utterly miserable people, anything to them is better than time for reflection. Vigilance is going to be a paramount virtue if we don't want to descend into lawlessness and corruption (even more so, that is). Voting might also help a little YOU KNOW. People here seem to be stuck in this mode where they view voting as some kind of purity test for themselves. Voting has nothing to do with that, it has everything to do with voting for anyone who is going to be able to implement change, even if only incremental. These people that end up not voting because their favorite candidate (or even party) wasn't nominated are really beyond the pale.

5. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

China has some really unfair advantages because of all the above. Not to mention they run millions of computers with illegally activated Microsoft products :)

So the American people have to contend with that where it comes to their economic welfare. But it is probably 1,000,000 times more fruitful to realize how you're being screwed every damned day of your life by the policies and companies of the US itself: