Anyone using Windows 7 on a newish build?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Steve Hedges, May 18, 2021.

1. Steve Hedges

Steve Hedges belveder

I have been trying to use Windows 8.1 which runs lovely and even faster than 10 but the desktop lag it so damn annoying so I am looking at 7.

Does anyone here use 7 on a newish PC?

Mine is Core i5 9400F
    MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC mobo
    Geforce GTX 1660 CPU
    GSkill 32 gb Trident Z memory

I got one version of 7 that has isb3 drivers built in and it installs but doesn't get past the boot screen after.

Any help appreciated

mircea likes this.
  2. mircea

mircea Member

Yes.TROUBA have a very good new build WINDOWS 7.Its installed on my computer and run verry well.Please give him a messange.

3. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Looks like the MoBo is Win 10 Only, sad as I got my newer build stuff that has Win 7 drivers, After I think 2019/20 it is only win 10 drivers support and micro code that support 10 for CPU also, it's a conspiracy LOL.

Also there is talk on the net about users install the base OS of 7 with a older system then moving the hard drive over to the new system and doing some more tweaks/hacks to make it work on Win 10 only systems. https://forums.mydigitallife.net/ forum might be of more help as that I think is where a lot of the chatter is about this situation.

EDIT: Also take into consideration, the driver support for that MoBo is NONE for Win 7.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  4. mircea

mircea Member

Maybe will try Trouba build.And after windows install will install iobitdriverbooster that its very good for drivers.

5. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Besides looking at MDL - https://forums.mydigitallife.net/ - I would also suggest looking at https://www.win-raid.com/forum.php#category3.

At MDL, I would strongly suggest checking out a "universal" USB 3.0/3.1 3/XHCI driver stack for Windows 7 here - https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/usb-3-xhci-driver-stack-for-windows-7-vista.81934/. I installed it on my system as the only USB controller software and it enabled proper USB operation for various USB add-in boards from several different manufacturers installed at the same time, including a super fast 3.1 board that was purchased even though documentation stated that it would NOT work on Win 7. [ @Trouba might want to include it in future Win 7 builds he might make. :) ] Updated files, which I have not tried, are available here - https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...for-windows-7-vista.81934/page-7#post-1660156.

As @Ghost explained, your success with Win 7 on a newer system will depend on whether you can find all the drivers you need, if not from the mobo manufacturer or whoever, then possibly from someone who might have modified them to work in Win 7, such as someone at Win-Raid. It will become a treasure hunt for you. If you are successful, by all means share what worked for you so that others can benefit.

6. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

@mircea : That Win7 image won't work for @Steve Hedges, it is meant for older hardware.

@bphlpt : I actually made builds with that USB driver set and did some tests with it, also including boot.wim, but the latter is where things get dicey. I suppose it can't hurt adding them to the install.wim. In fact I think I did on one or two of the builds in the past.

@Steve Hedges, at MDL you can check out the MDL Win7 Tool and the Windows 7 Image Updater. There are Win7 images floating around that use Win8 or Win10 boot.wim and have certain drivers and CPU patch enabled etc., so you could try those (they are probably made with the MDL Win7 tool). The drawback with those type of hybrid images -- and why I never really focused on them -- is that they usually don't work well on older hardware (meant for Win7). If I had several newer different hardware configs here that I wanted to run Win7 on, I would have made relevant Win7 images and tested them, but given that I have only Win7-era hardware, there is no way for me to test images like that.

7. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

@Steve Hedges, besides the suggestions by @Trouba, you could also look at the Integrate7 script. In your case, pay particular attention to the suggestion to look here - Instruction for UEFI class 3 systems (with no CSM). As always, your success will depend on your ability to find all necessary drivers, if they are not provided by the tool you choose to use.

Bottom line, you have a chance. It might not be completely true, but all of the tool makers claim that with enough work there is a good chance that Win 7 can probably be run on almost all hardware. [ All conditional phrasing in the previous statement included on purpose. :) ] YMMV

8. Steve Hedges

Steve Hedges belveder

Thanks for all the replies, appreciated. Yeah I realize MSI says the mobo is Windows 10 only but before I put 8.1 on I found all but the wifi drivers (which I'm happy with cause I use lan)

I was guessing that 8.1 drivers would or might work on 7.

I use IObit Driver Booster Pro as well but I can't get into 7 in the first place.

Once again thanks all

9. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

More likely collusion if anything else. Which isn't always illegal. Microsoft has had a couple decades to figure out many tricks and loop holes since their antitrust days.

Then there's the boiling frog effect ... ;)

10. mircea

mircea Member

Diferent point of wiew....I concurred whit GHOST.its a conspiration to squeeze out our money from the ususaly users.

I wander why the evil producer get in to this game...becouse if i once buy your product why to buy another one sice my product that y buy from u its not dead?

Smart people must hep usual user to make new [driver,software,etc] ways to install old harware to any OS....becouse we have payd once for that product[hardware].

90% from my computer was buy brand new...[which was a great effort to me at that time]...And its still functional....where its my money?U cannot change rules of the game once i buy your hardware.Its not fare in any UNIVERSE.

11. Bobby

Bobby New Member

I jumped through all the hoops of running Win7 on a z270/6600k/32Gb crucial ballistix/Rx580 and it ran smooth as butter. Was using 8.1 driver for the rx580 and it worked fine. Then around new years I decided I wanted to play cyberpunk 2077 and find out it wont work on Win7.. bummer. Can't remember exactly why but I think it was probable because it didn't like the 8.1 amd driver. Never tried to go back, figured I'll just stay with 10 for game compatibility.