Best WiFi Site Survey apps?

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by zdevilinside, Mar 8, 2020.

1. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

What do you think is the best Site Survey map? I am using Ekahau HeatMapper but don't like it because you cannot select/deselect detected APs; you can only arrow over the detected AP to see what it covers. That isn't going to help that much in a lot of situations. If I was able to get Ekahau Site Survey, I would be able to do that. NetSpot has the same capabilities as I want but you need the "Professional" edition to do that. I just want to try it out and see how it performs before I buy it.

Do you know of a free or inexpensive option for doing site surveys based upon a floor plan or jpg of the site? I am probably asking too much for something that is "free".

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Quite a lot of math, OCR type detection and overlay data (Router Ranges, composition penetration amounts etc) require to do this job, I can see why they charge for it. I have never used this kind of software so can't help with it myself sorry.

3. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

Not a problem. I have a 7 day trial for Netspot that I am going to test starting tomorrow. I like being able to take a satellite shot of the location I am at (from Google Maps), import it into the program and then use it as the basis of the site survey. The only thing I don't like is that with the free version you cannot remove outside SSID/APs from the end product. If you mouse over an AP, it will show the signal range overlay on the map but you cannot save just that part. :(