Blue screens now seem to be hardware fault

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by vanTorX, May 9, 2021.

1. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

This winter my PC started to suffer from BSOD, sometimes several in a day, then OK for days, even weeks before they came back.

I ran old LastOS-2015 for maybe three or four years and thought maybe the OS got corrupted, also had a program that demanded .net 4.8 installed but it refused to update to this version. So I was pushed to reinstall windows to kill the two flies in one blow.

Besides these BSOD of various types (like 'fault in non-page area', or 'Stop Code: Bad_Pool_Header' or many other types of BSOD), I also had several corrupted folders or files on the disk which rendered the directory inaccessible and I couldn't delete the folder or the corrupted files in it even using those 'unlock file' programs (luckily it didn't hit some essential files). The corrupted files lost their icons and couldn't even be copied over as during a disk backup (unless specified not to stop copying on errors).

I thought that the HDD is flaking but running various disk checks reported good health. Also ran some memory tests and again OK.

Instead of just reinstalling on that HDD, I used different, almost new one to install on. But already in just several days on this new HDD and fresh win10 install, I got three BSOD of the type I described above.

When changing the HDD in my desktop AIO Asus PC, I re-seated memory cards in their slots, have 2x4GB with two slots empty. I think now, its got to be faulty RAM chips and that I will have to get new memory for the PC.

I mean if the HDD and the win installation are ruled out, what else could it be? I suppose the whole motherboard might be shot due to failing capacitors on it or something else? But this motherboard has almost no electrolyte caps on it, only two quite small ones, rest is those tiny smd parts.

Those BSOD can come out of the 'blue' LOL but also when I have too many programs running that tax the resources. Then I suppose it uses memory to the full and fails in some areas of it

2. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I put the pic in separate post, just candy for eyes anyway, dirty candy to boot since that is a pic before cleaning it up, I even took apart those fans and put some oil on the spindle. BTW I only have two memory slots even if the hardware has 2x double slots sockets, apparently only the bottom ones are used on this PC. I am going out to town today to pick up 2x8GB SODIMMs, so if it turns up not to be RAM, at least if I should end up with the RAM on my hands, it is some useful size for other uses or other people. I might get a shop return too, just not sure if can return open package.
    upload_2021-5-9_14-56-1.png

3. mircea

mircea Member

I have my memory old from 2005 or 2006...no problem....but indeed i change about 4HDD....and somthimes my USB disconect sudenly.I advice to use a special SPRAY[there are some sprays that all the techicians electronist use to clean motherboards from bad connectivity.

4. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

USB disconnect is mostly a deeper problem than just dirty contacts. And memory mostly lasts a lifetime but in some cases can fail after few years.
    Didn't happen to me yet in my computing life but I heard about it and now it looks like that's got to be it.

From this posting I am looking for some experience with BSOD, when it happens frequently and mostly it reports different 'cause'. Since I replaced hdd and put fresh win10 on it, it has to be the motherboard and very likely the memory on it.

Once or twice I used one of those memory testing programs that look for faulty modules but it didn't detect any problem, that's why I suspected windows or hdd failing that could corrupt windows installation.

I found a shop nearby that has the memory I need and is open two more hours still. Amazon sells that same memory for the same $ but pickup or even return would be better with the shop here. 2x8GB can be had for some $80 CAD lowest cost, than higher tier goes for $~115 which is the case here. Don't want to buy at low end, usually it doesn't pay unless your luck holds. Probably the memory Asus put in was some cheap stuff anyway, never mind the brand name Samsung.

IMG_3949.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  5. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I read the thread about Partition Magic on another thread here and got hold of its boot disk. It has memory test Memtest86 and it diagnosed my memory as complete garbage, errors galore.
    Just one minute in:
    upload_2021-5-10_11-27-14.png

And 27 minutes later:

upload_2021-5-10_11-28-24.png

The new Ripjaw memory test after 35 minutes or running returned zero errors, uff :whistle:

upload_2021-5-10_11-32-8.png

Those memory tests I've done before this must have been done from within windows, goes to show that can't be relied upon.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Trouba, The Freezer and bphlpt like this.