cyber security awareness

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by pacav69, Oct 30, 2022.

1. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

Cyber security is a threat to everyone
    With recent events in Australia with breaches of personel data been exposed by hackers on Optus, a telecom company and now medibank, a medical insurance company ithas caused kaos(chaos) throughtout society. Governments are increasing security by making people aware of potential hacks by educating the people however late it maybe and now i'm informed that State governments are reissuing drivers licenses with a secure code on the reverse side to increase security much like they have on credit cards.

There were times that people and even me would receive at least 10 SMS per day from scammers with links to some bogus websites that would drop code in your phone and send etails of your phone book and any other codes stored on your phone to potential hackers and scum sucking scammers.

My advice is to never click on links from unknown sources.

What are your thoughts?

[​IMG]

More info

bphlpt likes this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Never ever ciick on a link EVER, from eMail, SMS or a webpage that isn't the ACTUAL webpage your looking for, except from Google, Bing, microsoft or another very trusted source. search for or type manually the address to the "company" your wanting to access and follow their menu's and links to find the service your after.

People even clone pages and emails and make them very legit looking. Worst of all is some hackers plant malware into the actual webpages of the company, even LastOS.org had a redirect someone managed to insert was back in 2018, it happens (was only for a day or two at the most). I have found if things are acting weird or asking you to log in (when you know you've already logged in) then chances are you are being phished for your user/password.

The very best security feature in recent time is 2 factor authentication, delivered via a text message (SMS) or from an Authenticator app on your phone, someone would have to have physical access to your phone to continue. Please enable 2 factor whenever possible. If you think your being phished then close your browser, maybe even reboot your PC, then run the browser and check for extensions or addons, check your homepage is still what you set and if anything is off then get the hell out of that OS and restore an image or re-install your PC, no amount of virus/malware scans and clean up will EVER make that OS install safe to use. there is so many methods to hide time delayed malware that is 0-day an not detected that it would be dangerous to know you've had an infection and keep using it hoping they didn't put backdoors etc in place.

These will keep you 99% safe, the only other thing that I have even had happen is a trusted source that actually had a 0-day infection of their own and never knew and it made it's way to my PC, I turned it off, rebooted with a USB LastOS in and formatted it, I erased everything I didn't need to keep and made 100% sure to remove (Hard Deleted) all installers and installed versions of the files I suspected cause the infection, then comment on the release so people know that it contained malware. The file was removed from the site and I "hope" no one else had to do the same as me. I actually had defender enabled on the OS and as it was a trusted source, I allowed it to execute... So why run defender all the time? it just doesn't make sense. Keep learning and getting smarter, keep sharing and using adblockers, script disablers, hosts files and things that actually remove things that could contain redirecting to malware or scams.

If something seems to good to be true, it is. If something acts weirdly, it's modified or poorly programmed and should be avoided or done on a Virtual OS where nothing of importance can be accessed. Don't leave your files in the downloads and documents folders, get them off the system paths so that they are NOT targeted and if Google Chrome says your password has been compromised then believe them, start fresh and use your phone or a different PC to change your password(s) before the hackers do.

pacav69 and unitop4 like this.