Display driver crashes

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Trouba, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Every now and then your system may be affected by display driver crashes. I've had it on some older systems, one of which had some real picky/finicky RAM. When the cause of such crashes is hardware-related (or hardware configuration related) it may be hard or impossible to fix. It can also be related to unstable overclocking. However, in some cases the system may just require a bit more time to get a response back from the GPU. Windows' TDR check is set to 2 seconds by default, and when Windows doesn't get a response from the GPU within that time-frame it freaks out and triggers the display driver crash scenario which restarts the driver.

I feel like I should have known about this ages ago, but somehow I didn't and it was AIDA64 that pointed it out. I was going to run an AIDA64 stability test and before beginning it asked me if I agreed to increase the TdrDelay value to 8 (8 seconds, rather than the 2 second default).

TdrDelay value Video driver change (AIDA64).png

I then did some searching and came across a good summary here by "A. User."

I let AIDA64 make the registry change but I captured what it did and noticed the reg entries I captured were a bit different than A. User described. I captured this:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers]
    "TdrDelay"=dword:00000008

The post I linked to further describes how to actually turn off the TDR check altogether, but I think the 8 second delay should be fine and maybe more useful. I don't think it would hurt to make this delay part of the LastOS tweaks.

bphlpt and mircea like this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Yes please, I don't see a reason why you'd prefer a quick crash to a slow recovery, so yes, update the tweaks to include this valuable find. I'll be sure to update my local repo for future updated planned too.

I also think I should make a script that auto updates or from a start menu link to build our Updated hosts file as it often gets outdated on my system and I have to mess about to update it manually.