Do you have problems with a filetype, such as MP3, not showing correctly in Windows Explorer?

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by bphlpt, Sep 20, 2019.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I'm not sure when it started for me, but it had gotten REAL annoying. The mp3's would play just fine, and when loaded in any player, or mp3tag type app, all of the details were visible and correct. But in Windows explorer, or any other explorer related app, such as xplorer² or Q-Dir, no details were shown at all for any mp3. ie, it was as if Windows could not see any of the mp3 metadata. Long story short, the problem was the mp3 property handler. If the problem happens to you, you can correct it with the following:

For Windows 7:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3]
    "InfoTip"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration;System.OfflineAvailability"
    "ExtendedTileInfo"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration;System.OfflineAvailability"
    "FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Description;System.Title;System.Media.SubTitle;System.Rating;System.Comment;System.PropGroup.Media;System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumArtist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Media.Year;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Music.Genre;System.Media.Duration;System.PropGroup.Audio;System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;System.PropGroup.Origin;System.Media.Publisher;System.Media.EncodedBy;System.Media.AuthorUrl;System.Copyright;System.PropGroup.Content;System.ParentalRatingReason;System.Music.Composer;System.Music.Conductor;System.Music.ContentGroupDescription;System.Music.Mood;System.Music.PartOfSet;System.Music.InitialKey;System.Music.BeatsPerMinute;System.DRM.IsProtected;System.Music.IsCompilation;System.PropGroup.FileSystem;System.ItemNameDisplay;System.ItemType;System.ItemFolderPathDisplay;System.DateCreated;System.DateModified;System.Size;System.FileAttributes;System.OfflineAvailability;System.OfflineStatus;System.SharedWith;System.FileOwner;System.ComputerName"
    "PreviewDetails"="prop:System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Music.Genre;*System.Media.Duration;System.Rating;System.Media.Year;*System.Size;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Music.AlbumArtist;System.Title;*System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;*System.DateModified;*System.OfflineAvailability;*System.OfflineStatus;*System.DateCreated;*System.SharedWith"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.mp3]
    @="{C120DE80-FDE4-49f5-A713-E902EF062B8A}"

For Windows 10:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.mp3]
    @="{C120DE80-FDE4-49f5-A713-E902EF062B8A}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers]
    ".mp3"="{C120DE80-FDE4-49f5-A713-E902EF062B8A}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3]
    "ExtendedTileInfo"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration;System.OfflineAvailability"
    "FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Description;System.Title;System.Media.SubTitle;System.Rating;System.Comment;System.PropGroup.Media;System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumArtist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Media.Year;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Music.Genre;System.Media.Duration;System.PropGroup.Audio;System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;System.PropGroup.Origin;System.Media.Publisher;System.Media.EncodedBy;System.Media.AuthorUrl;System.Copyright;System.PropGroup.Content;System.ParentalRatingReason;System.Music.Composer;System.Music.Conductor;System.Music.ContentGroupDescription;System.Music.Mood;System.Music.PartOfSet;System.Music.InitialKey;System.Music.BeatsPerMinute;System.DRM.IsProtected;System.Music.IsCompilation;System.PropGroup.FileSystem;System.ItemNameDisplay;System.ItemType;System.ItemFolderPathDisplay;System.DateCreated;System.DateModified;System.Size;System.FileAttributes;System.OfflineAvailability;System.OfflineStatus;System.SharedWith;System.FileOwner;System.ComputerName"
    "InfoTip"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration;System.OfflineAvailability"
    "PreviewDetails"="prop:System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Music.Genre;*System.Media.Duration;System.Rating;System.Media.Year;*System.Size;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Music.AlbumArtist;System.Title;*System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;*System.DateModified;*System.OfflineAvailability;*System.OfflineStatus;*System.DateCreated;*System.SharedWith"
    I tried to find the official list of all of the default values for the handlers of all the various filetypes, which I'm sure exists and is publicly available somewhere, but my Google-foo is failing me today.

An easier way to deal with the issue for mp3 and MANY other audio and video file types, is to use Icaros, currently at v3.1.1.beta.2.

==========================

Icaros 311 beta 2 is a collection of lightweight, high quality, Windows Shell Extensions, which is capable of providing Windows Explorer thumbnails for essentially any video media filetype. Icaros can provide Windows Explorer thumbnails, for essentially any video media format supported by FFmpeg which includes popular filetypes such as: Mkv, Flv, Avi, Mp4, Mov, Rmvb, M2ts, Ogm etc. It is capable of thumbnailing just about any file by adding its extension(s) to the optional filetypes box and re-activating Icaros.
    CLICK HERE to get in on the current Icaros development discussion.

===========================

While official release versions of Icaros are released through Major Geeks, The discussion forum, and where you can get the latest beta releases, are over at Shark007.net, which also happens to be my set of codecs of choice. :) Though I think that Icaros is also included in some of the other codec packs.

Icaros can handle thumbnailing for the following filetypes:

265, 3g2, 3gp, 3gp2, 3gpp, amv, ape, asf, avi, bik, cb7, cbr, cbz, divx, dv, dvr-ms, evo, f4v, flac, flv, hdmov, ivf, k3g, m1v, m2p, m2t, m2ts, m2v, m4a, m4b, m4p, m4v, mk3d, mka, mkv, mod, mov, mp2, mp2v, mp3, mp4, mp4v, mpc, mpe, mpeg, mpg, mpv2, mts, mxf, nsv, ogg, ogm, ogv, opus, qt, ram, rm, rmm, rmvb, skm, tak, tp, tpr, trp, ts, vob, webm, wm, wmv, wtv, wv, xvid, y4m

and you can add more.

With properties activated, Icaros will allow you to view information such as length, width, height, artist, etc. in Explorer, for any of the filetypes below:

Mkv, Mk3d, Webm, Webp, Ogm, Ogv, Flv, Avi, Divx, Xvid, Rm, Rmvb, Flac, Ogg, Opus, Spx, Ape, Mp3, Mpc, Mka, Tak, Tta, Ofr, Ofs, Wav, Wv

Icaros can not only handle thumbnails and metadata for many audio and video filetypes, it can also reset them to their default values.

The post by Xanashi, the Icaros developer, about the v3.1.1.beta.2 release:

===========================

http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-New-Release-3-1-1-Beta-2

--------------------------------------

08-25-2019, 04:43 PM
    -----------

Good evening Everyone,

Here is the latest build, ready for testing.
    It doesn't really introduce a lot of new things, but it does improve quite a bit on a lot of existing features.
    Internally the code has been moved around some to make these improvements possible, but hopefully that
    hasn't introduced any regressions since the last build. Be sure to let me know if you run into any new bugs! :)

Not much else to say today.

Enjoy the new release! ;)

[Icaros v.3.1.1 Beta 2]

- Fixed HEVC thumbnailing crash on newer CPUs (e.g. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X)
    - Fixed thumbnailing when 'Prefer Timestamp' is enabled
    - Fixed artifacts on HEVC thumbnails
    - Fixed keyboard controls for the sliders on the UI settings page
    - Fixed a handful of odd thumbnailing issues, where specific files didn't produce a thumbnail.
    - Improved black/white frame detection. It should return better looking thumbnails more often now.
    - Improved seeking to a prefered timestamp. Seeking accuracy should be much better now.
    - Added 'AV1' codec id to Icaros Property Handler
    - Icaros now adds the source filename to the crash dialog in case of a thumbnail related crash
    - Updated Russian localization (Thank you Ligre! ^_^)
    - Updated dav1d to 0.4.0
    - Updated FFmpeg

Icaros 3.1.1 Beta 2 Installer: Download
    Icaros 3.1.1 Beta 2 Portable: Download

Issue Tracker

-----------

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

I have been a fan of K-Lite Codec Pack for years and this tool(you mention) is included in it. The codec pack will allow you to play/view pretty much any encoding you can think of.

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

There are several versions/sizes to choose from depending on your needs.

3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I only use KLMCodec ssApp and I have never had the problem mentioned, I use AIMP as my media player of choice now as my Keyboard has volume, pause, next and previous as keys and WinAmp doesn't support them as system wide keys (hot keys), so AIMP is my go to for that reason only.

I have had filetypes die on me before, it was usually caused by registry cleaners (they really do suck) your best to just run ccleaner and optimize the registry NOT clean it. I have had CCleaner crap out associations before, but not very often.

4. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

How do you do that? I thought CCleaner only cleaned the registry. Systernals had a registry optimizer (ntregopt.exe) -- though it could only do it during a re-boot -- but NT6 isn't supported.

Edit--
    Oops, Systernals had PageDefrag (also only runs during boot-time).

Lars Hederer made NTREGOPT (NT Registry Optimizer) and ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT). Great utilities, but as I said only works with Windows NT/2000/XP/2003.

Though I think Systernals included them as part of their tool-set as Lars' was freeware.

5. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I don't use an optimizer since XP so don't know which to use now, I had it built in to Settings tools in the past. I no longer optimize as MS does using scheduler now I think. So ccleaner doesn't have that feature.