Driver help with M.2

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by JeremyLopez05, Apr 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. JeremyLopez05

JeremyLopez05 New Member

Hello and thanks for All the work done here because I use Last OS and tools more than I can think of but I now have a HP notebook 15 series that I can't get drivers to see the M2 to install. I was hoping there is a build that has M2 drivers and maybe be live OS also. I've tried installing drivers but nothing will install being I can't get the M2 visible yet. Thanks again in advance

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Some PC's have Secure Boot enabled, this means you need to format your USB (Install media) to FAT32 or a GPT partition (FAT32 is better IMO), this allows you to boot with secure boot enabled, this allows access to the M.2 disks that are either secured/locked or encrypted in some way. Drivers for Windows 10 or 11 shouldn't ever be needed, in my usages so far anyway.

JeremyLopez05 likes this.
  3. JeremyLopez05

JeremyLopez05 New Member

I thank you very much for the knowledge I do understand, once I get home I will definitely try that out and I thank you again

4. JeremyLopez05

JeremyLopez05 New Member

I have many live Os running on it but cant see the M2 . Even if I try normal install it starts everything till hard drive partition screen shows nothing available. I have tried modded OS like Last 7 and 10 but they can't see the M2. Is it a dead M2?

Attached Files:

5. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Can you see the M.2 in the BIOS?
    Can you boot into any OS on any conputer that you can install the M.2 on and then run a partition manager type of software that can see the M.2

6. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Last7 will by definition not work (unless you've injected various drivers) so focus on Last10/11 only to avoid extra difficulties.

If the laptop has multiple drives, try disconnecting the secondary HDD (or whatever your setup has) so that only the NVMe drive remains.

Try putting the BIOS in CSM or legacy mode (disable Secure Boot) and see if that makes a difference. We have no clue what your settings are or if the NVMe drive is supposed to be supported in the Notebook, etc., so we're stabbing in the dark.

If you boot from a LivePE such as included on Last10, use the partition tools available in the LivePE and see if the drive is showing up there. Your drive may have to be initialized. You can also, then, format it and set it to "active" so that it may be recognized as a boot drive. Just some ideas for you to play with.

If you want to test the drive: If the M.2 drive is easily accessible, take it out and put it in a cheap drive enclosure that can house M.2 drives and hook it up via USB to see if it works.

I do notice that there are a LOT of questions on the HP forums regarding "my NVMe drive not showing up". The answers mention that only certain drives are white-listed, and even that some notebooks sold at certain places have their slots disabled. Those things sound weird and implausible to me, but who knows what HP has done?

7. JeremyLopez05

JeremyLopez05 New Member

I have disabled secure boot back and forth, I can run many live OSs with same issue( everything works except M.2 not visible) but I seen a few videos of people replacing the M.2 on the same model number, then booting up first time seeing the original or new M.2. In bios it passed M.2 test but maybe it's dead?? I don't know but thinking I need another way to test it. Hp 15-dy2131wm I may have to initiate it also like you said Thanks much againI'll try with your ideas

8. Glenn

My Own PC has a limitation where if you have both channels enabled for SATA the M.2 port is disabled, so I have to disable one (Only 2 of my 4 SATA ports are enabled) if I use my 2xM.2 port - which I do... But I had planned on using all my ports. maybe you have to actually enable the M.2 or disable one of the SATA channels if your BIOS allows such a thing.

I do understand how much of a PITA this can be.

The only other thing I can say is try Linux, if it's not visible to the latest Linux then windows wont stand a chance and the problem is bigger then the OS/mod.

9. Trouba

"I don't know but thinking I need another way to test it."

Like I said, get a cheap drive enclosure (or dock) that supports m.2 drives, so that you can connect the drive. If it won't show up under This PC/My Computer among your other drives, start up Disk Manager and see if it shows up there and you need to initialize the drive (it should show up under Disk Manager if the drive isn't dead). (That is, assuming you have another computer to test this on. If not, it's a bigger problem to figure out.) If you get an enclosure, just make sure it can support the slot key of your particular drive.

10. JeremyLopez05

JeremyLopez05 New Member

I think it is a optane M.2 Drive, requiring me to install drivers to see it, I think..I found a video of that same issue, saying That M.2 required drivers first. Does that make sense to any one here?

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  11. Trouba

It's very possible, seeing how HP wrangled their OS partitions and/or BIOS' on various systems.

Anyway, from one of the comments on this video:
    To which lapfix replied:

So it looks like there's some stuff for you to try.

Another person in comments also say that diskpart could see the drive, but Setup couldn't.

12. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Seems it will need a driver UGH but that is the way it goes with just a NVMe/M.2/SSD, and need the serial number to get drivers now WTH!

13. Trouba

You may check Win-Raid forum for generic/nulled drivers, plus people may have had similar difficulties that you may be able to find. Win-Raid forum moved, so this is the new link: https://winraid.level1techs.com

14. Glenn