DX12 to be released for Win 7?

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by bphlpt, Mar 14, 2019.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

No, it seems to me they drew from the DX12 API and packaged up a dll that works with one games calls for specific uses, I doubt very much they'll release the complete DX12 runtimes. There would be a LOT of driver access issues as WIn 10 handles that totally different to Windows 7, so it would really only be the API's that spread the GPU load across multiple cores instead of single thread. IMO. I have nothing to prove this, but it is MS after all.

Trouba likes this.
  3. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

That's how I read it, too: only support in certain games that are installed on Win7, not for Win7 in general.

4. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

I asked my friend at Micro$oft about this - it is only for certain applications on Win 7 but not supported on Win7 in general. You both nailed it.

5. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

If you want to get technical you can actually say it's a .dll that in theory you could call, but you would need to disassemble the dll to get the API names and input/output values. So in theory anyone could use these new DirectX 12 features instead of the DX 11 ones and it would give you dual core control. But I can't think of anybody who would be willing to put in that sort of time. What MS could have done for us tho is made Unreal Engine and Unity support the same feature, this would give Win 7 a leg up in the games area and make many people happy, feel free to pass my idea on to your friend, I imagine it would be quite easy for MS, Epic and Unity Technologies to compile their Engines to support such things, then each Game can be recompiled to support the new engine instead of having to re-code each game. Seeing as most people use steam etc to update their games, it would happen automatically for most users, imagine the grins on their faces when they can get 3x the frame rate or support 4k res on their Win 7 machine.

6. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

This is true. The issue is that MS doesn't want Windows 7 to be around anymore. They would rather you pay for their newest and become a member of the collective.

7. mortmaru

mortmaru New Member

Wont be released for Win 7 that time has passed and MS don't want people staying on the old platform so by releasing things like this wont help getting those users to migrate upwards.