Editing Audiobooks, Playlists, and Cue Sheets

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by bphlpt, Oct 7, 2019.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

As Trouba knows, I have been pretty involved lately trying to clean up my admittedly large collection of audiobooks. You all might already know the best way to do this for your own use, but I thought I'd document what I've learned, especially regarding playlists and cue sheets, so I don't forget, and I'll post it here for your information and/or amusement. I've attached example playlists (Playlist Samples.7z) so you can see some of the different playlist formats, if you're not familiar with them.

==========================================================================

Playlists

Playlists are a way to list separate files that the audio player should play, where they are located, and the order to play them in. Instead of having to load each file one at a time into the player, you can just load the playlist, and the player will load the files itself when it needs them. There is usually information included that will be displayed by the player while the file is playing.

In my testing of playlists on my computer I used:

MPC-BE v1.5.4 (build 4767) beta
    AIMP v4.60, build 2146 Portable
    VLC v3.0.8 Vetinari
    foobar2000 v1.3.15

The example playlists were created by and worked in these audio players for an audiobook I have that was originally stored on my PC at -

"F:\_author\Läckberg, Camilla -- Fjällbacka #02 - The Preacher"

The book series, written by Camilla Läckberg, is entitled "Fjällbacka" (also the name of the author's home town in Sweden), and "The Preacher" is the second book in the series, hence my naming convention of the folder.

The files listed to play in the playlist can be edited to be in relative address format - "FN.ext" -or- ".\FN.ext", or Full Path format - "FullPath\FN.ext" except where noted.

As to the Title info that is listed such as:

Title1=Camilla Läckberg/David Thorn/©2010 Camilla Lackberg - The Preacher - Part 01

that Meta Data is embedded in "001.mp3" itself:
    - author - Camilla Läckberg
    - narrator - David Thorn
    - ©2010
    - title - The Preacher

NOTE: VLC creates the .m3u, .m3u8, and .xspf files with the files to play in a format such as:
    "file:///F:/_author/L%C3%A4ckberg,%20Camilla%20--%20Fj%C3%A4llbacka%20%2302%20-%20The%20Preacher/001.mp3"
    which VLC will play fine, but the other players won't, so the files were edited to be in relative or full format for testing.

Code:
    -- 000.aimppl4 - saved by, and will only work with, AIMP - relative or full
    -- 000.asx     - saved by MPC-BE, but will work with MPC-BE, AIMP, or VLC - relative or full
    -- 000.fpl     - saved by, and will only work with, foobar2000
    -- 000.html    - saved by VLC, but NONE of the players will play it, that I can determine. It will display in a browser, but without links, so I'm not sure what immediate good this is.
    -- 000.m3u     - saved by VLC (then edited), then will work with all four - realative or full
    -- 000.m3u8    - saved by VLC (then edited), then will work with all four - realative or full
    -- 000.mpcpl   - saved by, and will only work with, MPC-BE - relative or full
    -- 000.pls     - saved by MPC-BE, but will work with all four - relative or full
    -- 000.wax     - came with the audiobook, couldn't find an app to directly create a .wax file, but it looks like it's just a renamed .asx, and acts the same
    -- 000.xspf    - saved by VLC (then edited), then will work with MPC-BE or VLC - realative or full, and AIMP, but only with full

I know there are more playlist formats, but these are most of the ones that these four audio players can create. They can probably handle others.

Also note that just because I noted that the playlist was saved by XXX, sometimes one of the others could have also saved the playlist in that format, mainly .m3u. But, they don't all save the files in the same way. For .m3u files, AIMP didn't reliably save all the tracks, for some reason, in the couple of times I tried it. MPC-BE, after the initial "#EXTM3U" line, only saved the "File" lines and didn't save the "#EXTINF:..." lines, saying it was in "WinAmp" format. foobar2000 did the same, but didn't even save the initial "#EXTM3U" line. I did not do any testing at all to see how the various players handled these alternate forms. They might or might not play them. There are also other apps, such as some of the Audio Converter apps, that can also create playlists.

Cue Sheets

Cue Sheets are similar to playlists, but instead of dealing with individual tracks, or chapters, of a song or audiobook to play, all of the files are combined into a single file, usually in .m4b format, but can also be in .mp3, and the cue sheet tells the player where in the file to go to begin playing the individual track. The cue sheet can either be a separate .cue file, or it can be embedded in the .m4b or .mp3 itself. The cue sheet can also be used to burn a CD with correct track-markers. Remember CDs? LOL In fact, cue sheets were first used for CDs. A cue sheet reference can be found here - https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Cue_sheet or here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_(computing)#Cue_sheet_syntax.

I have an audiobook series, "The Chronicles of Narnia", http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/chronicles-of-narnia-1-7/ (but I'm not sure if the torrent is still active), whose books were in .m4b audiobook format with internal cue sheets. This will describe the steps I took to convert each .m4b book to a single "combined" .mp3 file with an internal cue sheet, along with an external cue sheet and cover.jpg, separate .mp3 files for each track, and an .m3u playlist for those tracks. Why? Well, I wanted to figure out how I could do all of that, and I really prefer to have my audiobooks in .mp3 format. If I were to redistribute these, I would also create .sfv and/or .md5 files, and maybe .opf as well. I could also put all of the files except the combined .mp3 and associated .cue into a .zab file (Zipped Audio Book), which is a renamed .zip file, which VLC can play directly. The disadvantage of .zab is that VLC has to expand the file into temporary space before it can play the internal files, so it can take a bit of space and time to initially load a large file. I haven't used .zab much, though I like the idea of it for some situations, so I'll provide a little bit more info about .zab below.

I normally would not create the combined .mp3, I prefer to keep them in separate chapter files, but this particular book series was dramatized, with music in the background at times, and did not have "clean" and quiet breaks at the chapters. As such, it really sounded better without the track breaks, even the minor ones caused by your audio player playing the multiple tracks sequentially automatically.

But, if I was going to have an entire audiobook in a single file, either .mp3 or just keep the .m4b, I really wanted an external cue sheet so I could easily and reliably skip from chapter to chapter within the combined file, and the audiobooks didn't come with one. There is also not any app available, that I can find, that can "export" the internal .m4b cue sheet to an external file. I have communicated a request for this feature to the developer of fre:ac. He has admitted that this should be rather easy to implement and has agreed to put it on his "to do" list, but not until after the next stable release of the app. I'm not holding my breath. Keeping the internal cue sheet in the combined .mp3 is not "required", especially since MPC-BE is the only player I know of that can take advantage of it, but I figured that if I could do it, then I would. I usually prefer to use MPC-BE after all. So I created a combined .mp3 that had an internal cue sheet that worked correctly in MPC-BE. This was dependent on starting with an .m4b with a correct internal cue sheet. I don't know how to create that, yet, since I've been focussed on MP3s. fre:ac can create an .m4b with a proper external cue sheet, but not an internal one, at least not that I've figured out. I have heard of apps such as Chapter and Verse, Chapter Master, and AAC Audiobook Creator, among others. Since I've never used them, I'm not sure how well they work, what they are capable of, or how easy they are to use.

I have found that cue sheets are very probleamatic, both using them and creating them. Keep in mind that I have only tested cue sheets and the files that contain them in PC based audio players. Ones on phones might be different, I don't know, but I usually listen to books split into .mp3 chapters on my android phone.

Also, remember that this is talking about the behavior of the player in regards to the cue sheet only, not the player's ablilty to bookmark its place in a file so that you can pick back up where you left off. For automatic bookmarking, on my android phone I use Musicolet, which I think is very good, but it can't play .m4b files. VLC can, but I have not been as pleased with it on my phone. On the computer, MPC-BE always remembers where I was and can play anything.

In my testing of cue sheets on the computer using:

MPC-BE v1.5.4 (build 4767) beta
    AIMP v4.60, build 2146 Portable
    VLC v3.0.8 Vetinari
    foobar2000 v1.3.15

I found the following:

Loading an .m4b audiobook with an internal cue sheet:

-- MPC-BE --- "Playlist" only shows the .m4b, but "Next" and "Previous" buttons operate correctly and the correct track title is briefly displayed when the buttons are clicked.
    -- AIMP --- Sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. It didn't for the Narnia books. When it worked, all of the tracks were shown in the "Playlist" and the buttons acted as expected. When it didn't, only the .m4b was in the "Playlist" and the buttons just made the book restart at the beginning.
    -- VLC --- It didn't work. Only the .m4b was in the "Playlist" and the buttons just made the book restart at the beginning.
    -- foobar2000 --- It worked with the buttons operating correctly and the individual tracks shown in the "Playlist", but the Narnia tracks all displayed the same track number and title, even though they were actually the correct track.

Loading an .m4b audiobook with an internal cue sheet, with a "proper" external cue sheet with the same name present in the same folder:

-- MPC-BE --- Behavior same as above, but the external cue sheet overrides the internal one, even though it was not explicitly loaded.
    -- AIMP --- Like MPC-BE, the external cue sheet overrides the internal one, so it now works consistently.
    -- VLC --- No help. External cue sheet is ignored. Behavior same as above.
    -- foobar2000 --- External cue sheet is ignored. Behavior same as above. Works correctly, but displayed track number and title are often wrong.

Loading an .mp3 audiobook with an internal cue sheet, with or without a "proper" external cue sheet with the same name present in the same folder:

-- MPC-BE --- Works correctly, the same way it does with .m4b audiobooks, and a "proper" external cue sheet with the same name present in the same folder will override the internal one, even if it is not explicitly loaded.
    -- AIMP --- Without a "proper" external cue sheet present, it doesn't work. Only the .mp3 was in the "Playlist" and the buttons just made the book restart at the beginning. A "proper" external cue sheet with the same name present in the same folder will override the internal one, even if it is not explicitly loaded, so it now works as expected.
    -- VLC --- Doesn't work, with or without the "proper" cue sheet present. Only the .mp3 was in the "Playlist" and the buttons just made the book restart at the beginning.
    -- foobar2000 --- Doesn't work, with or without the "proper" cue sheet present. Only the .mp3 was in the "Playlist" and the buttons just made the book stop. Play made it restart at the beginning.

What do I mean by a "proper" external cue sheet? The format or content of an external cue sheet is often a problem. Ones that are usually provided with .m4b audiobooks usually start with something like:

FILE "-file_name-.m4b" MP4
    and ones supplied with .mp3 audiobooks:
    FILE "-file_name-.mp3" MP3

That's bad. For the ones with .m4b, only AIMP will load the .cue and play the associated .m4b. The rest do and play nothing. For the ones with .mp3, they don't work with ANY of the players I tested. AIMP and foobar2000 both load the file and it looks OK in the "Playlist", but it only causes errors when you try to play it. But, if you edit the file to read:

FILE "-file_name-.m4b" WAVE
    or:
    FILE "-file_name-.mp3" WAVE

you'll get much better results. I know using WAVE for .mp3 doesn't agree with the references I listed above, but that is what I have found that works, at least for my audio players. All the players work correctly and as expected when you load the "corrected" cue sheet for an .mp3 audiobook, though MPC-BE only displays the .mp3 file in the "Playlist". MPC-BE, AIMP, and VLC work the same way with external cue sheets for .m4b audiobooks, while foobar2000 loads the .cue for the .m4b but will only play the first track in the playlist, then errors when it tries to move to any other track, either automatically or by manual selection. I could not find an external cue sheet format foobar2000 liked for .m4b audiobooks.

So your experience with audiobook cue sheets will vary wildly depending on the audiobook file type, your audiobook player, the construction of the cue sheet, and whether it is internal or external. But you are much more likely to be successful if you have a "proper" external one.

So how did I create the external cue sheet?

Since it is essentially just a text file with the list of tracks and the starting time of each track in MM:SS:FF format, measured from the start of the file and FF is frames (See here - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42089868/converting-time-in-seconds-to-hhmmssff - for a possible way to get that), I could probably find or create a script to create the cue sheet, but I haven't yet found, or taken the time to create, such a script. You could also create the cue sheet manually, using something like Time Calculator - http://www.grun1.com/utils/timeCalc.html - to help you calculate the starting time of each track by manually adding up the length of each preceeding track. Time Calculator could probably be turned into an app, since it's self-contained HTML, but it would be time consuming (LOL) to use, and manual calculations are more prone to errors.

I have only found a very few apps that create an external cue sheet. fre:ac can create one, but currently only in conjunction with merging files. I don't need to merge files in this case, since I create my combined .mp3 another way, but I've used fre:ac for this in other situations. This time, fre:ac would take more time than I wanted to spend, creating files I didn't need.

Once I split the .m4b into .mp3 chapters, I realized I could use MP3 Merger v0.3.2.1 to create the external cue sheet. This is also only done in conjunction with merging files, but, since it merges the .mp3 files without re-encoding, it is very, very quick. This works well and I have done this with MP3 Merger before. It is done in seconds, if that. However, MP3 Merger does have a known bug. In order to get accurate cue sheet times you have to remove ALL of the meta tags from the individual .mp3 files first, which is not really a problem, just an annoyance. So I have to make a temporary copy of the individual .mp3 files, since I want my individual files to retain their meta data, remove ALL of the file tags from the temporary files using Mp3tag, then merge the files using MP3 Merger, with the Setting to "Create CUE sheet for output file" checked. The only thing I keep from all of that is the cue sheet. I discard everything else. Wasteful I know, but it is the easiest and fastest way I know to create the external cue sheet, and it's accurate. So the reasons that I abandoned trying to use MP3 Merger to create my combined .mp3 included: (a) I would lose the internal track's meta data including even the titles, (b) I would lose the internal cue sheet, and the real killer in this case was (c) for some reason the combined file only showed it had a playing time equal to that of the first track, even though all of the tracks were there and the actual playing time was correct. This has never happened to me before with MP3 Merger. I don't know what was special about these files.

For the separate tracks, the cue sheet is not needed, and an .m3u playlist is used instead, and works correctly for all of the players if it is constructed as I've described above.

FWIW, when I re-encode or down-sample any audiobook, from whatever format such as .mp3, .m4a, or .m4b, into .mp3 format, I do so at a 22.05kHz Sample Rate and 64kbps Bit Rate. This is definitely not audiophile quality, but is perfectly acceptable for audiobooks. In fact, I've found it better to use 22.05kHz rather than 44.1kHz or 48kHz because it minimizes the "ssssss" distortion of some feamle speakers when they pronounce words ending in "s", especially on some of the Doctor Who or Graphic Audio audiobooks when they are down-sampled.

To convert the .m4b file to .mp3, I could use any of several available audio converter apps, but I would lose the internal cue sheet with most of them. I ended up using Faasoft Audio Converter. It is an accurate file converter that seems as fast as any of the other options, if not faster. I am able to specify both the Sample Rate and the Bit Rate that I want the resulting file to have. You can check the Action Option to "Keep Meta Data." It is able to convert the .m4b to .mp3 while preserving the internal cue sheet. It is also able to split the .m4b into the individual .mp3 chapters based on that internal cue sheet, while keeping the individual chapter's meta data tags intact. And it can do all of those tasks at the smae time! If it could also export the internal cue sheet, and/or create one while merging files, and create a playlist from the individual files, it would almost be the only app I would need for my audiobook editing needs. It even has the ability to allow you to adjust the name of the tracks before you split them out of the .m4b, but if you do that, then the meta tags inside those resulting files will not be correct. It is better to split the files and then adjust the resulting filenames with Bulk Rename Utility (BRU) or something similar.

So, this is what I did: (This was dependent on the .m4b file having an internal cue sheet that was created correctly to identify the chapters.)

-- Rename the .m4b as "000.m4b" and load it into Faasoft Audio Converter.
    -- Select the MP3 profile and set the advanced settings of 22050 Sample Rate and 64K Bit Rate.
    -- Select the Action Option to "Keep Meta Data", and the Edit options to "Split by Chapter" and "Check All".**
    -- Make sure none of the internal chapters are named "000.mp3". If one of them is, I start over and name the .m4b something that doesn't conflict. This is rare.
    -- Convert. This will make MP3s of the combined file and the individual chapters. Faasoft will preserve the internal cue sheet in the combined .mp3, and the meta data in all of the files.
    -- Delete the .m4b.
    -- Clean up any file naming either manually or with BRU. My combined file is "000.mp3".
    -- Load all MP3s into Mp3tag, and clean up all tags as desired. (FYI, Faasoft saves tags as ID3v2.4 (ID3v2.4), while Mp3tag saves them as ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3). This doesn't seem to be any kind of issue, I just found it curious that Faasoft seemed to have "newer" tag definitions.)
    -- Still in Mp3tag, extract the "cover" image and use IrfanView or similar to resave the image as a more reasonably sized cover.jpg, and replace the image in ALL of the files with the smaller cover.jpg. (In this case, this replaced a .png file at 10% of the size or smaller.)
    -- Load all of the individual tracks into VLC, and "Save Playlist to File..." as 000.m3u, then edit the .m3u to change the file name's format inside the .m3u from "file:///--full_path--/FN.mp3" format to "FN.mp3", and replacing "%20" with " " and any other web vs local type edits as necessary.
    -- Copy all of the individual tracks to a temporary location, and remove ALL tags from them using Mp3tag.
    -- Load the resulting files into MP3 Merger, (Be sure you have checked the Setting to "Create CUE sheet for output file"), and Merge files.
    -- The only thing to keep is the .cue file, everything else in the temporary location can be discarded.
    -- Rename the .cue file the same as the combined .mp3 created earlier, I used 000.mp3 and 000.cue, and edit the .cue to refer to the .mp3 along with any other .cue edits desired. I add or fill in the TITLE "-desired_title-" and PERFORMER "-whoever-it-is" lines.

**Faasoft is finicky about what you can do and still keep the converted file's meta tags intact. In addition to not being able to mess with the track file names, if I clicked "Apply Profile to All" here, it would mess up at least the "Title" and/or "Track" tags.

That's it! Double check that everything seems to look and work as desired before you empty your trash. Everything was contained in the original .m4b. But now everything you created, including two copies of the book, one combined and a set of the individual files, if added together take up less space than the original .m4b and are more flexible and compatible, at least with android and PC audio players. Maybe not so for an iPhone or a Mac or a Linux computer, but I don't know since I don't have one of those. You can also easily leave out whatever you don't need from the above proceedure and cut the stoage space needed by half again. And if the original .m4b file was of a larger size, the potential storage savings are even greater.

Other apps I've used

In addition to the various apps I've mentioned above, I thought I'd mention some other apps Ive used in dealing with audiobooks, just to keep all of the info in one place. :)

-- mp3DirectCut can also concatenate MP3s without re-encoding, and create the corresponding cue sheet, along with other functions, but I just haven't gotten comfortable using it.
    -- mp3split is a great companion to Mp3 Merger since it can split an MP3 file based on an external cue sheet without re-encoding. Very fast and easy to use with no additional quality loss to the .mp3.
    -- AIMP has a built-in Playlist Manager, Audio Converter, and Tag Editor, with some useful tag and cue sheet editing capabilities.
    -- My MP4Box GUI and mkvToolNix both have particular things they do well.
    -- Audacity is very good at editing files in minute detail, along with file conversion, merging, and splitting, but it's often very "hands on" when you are trying to manipulate the files, so it can be time consuming and it doesn't do anything with cue sheets, either external or embedded, that I'm aware of. But if I need really detailed file manipulation, that's still what I choose.
    -- Advanced Renamer has particular features that it does easier than BRU, so it is also worth having around.
    -- EZ.CD.Audio.Converter, and similar apps do a fine job just doing basic file conversion, but usually don't do much, if anything, with cue sheets. Faasoft has become my go-to tool because of its cue sheet capabilities.

Some info regarding .zab files

As I mentioned, I haven't used them much, but here is some info about them that was provided with an audiobook I downloaded in ,zab format, and is what made the idea of them somewhat appealing, at least in certain situations.

---------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------

All files are zipped and renamed to .zab (zab = Zipped Audio Book). Simply rename the .zab back to .zip and unzip to uncompress it.

Zipping is not done for size. Not all audiobooks are single mp3 files, some are chapterized or time sliced multiple files, have covers or playlists, or may be in formats other than mp3 (like m4a or flac). Some systems block zips, and some software (like Calibre) assume zips are ebooks. The .zab suffix lets them coexist.

I store each book “series” in a master “folder” with the genre, author, seriesname, number of books in series, and then a series of files in that folder with the filename "genre - Author - Series Name - Series Number - Title". If the Author/Series/Title are the same for the eBook and the audiobook, the audiobook (.zab) can be stored with a filename consistant with that of the cover (.jpg), meta data (.opf), and any companion eBook (.epubs, .pdf’s, .lit, etc) in one Calibre library, which will give you easy access to BOTH formats of the book. Also, that way, if a format that supports covers or meta data internally is accessed by the library manager, the internal info is used, but if a format that doesn’t support internal meta data and covers is accessed, then the separate files are used instead. (.epubs support internal covers and meta data, so there is no need for separate covers and meta data files for them.)

Note: You can NOT use Calibre's "add books from archive" option for .zab based audiobooks, but you CAN simply add them by Drag’n'Drop from a “file explorer” to a Calibre library page.

A neat way to use .zab is to use a media player that plays zips (or zabs), like VLC, and in the registry just tell it to play/open .zab with vlcplayer. Then when you click on the audiobook in Calibre, it will play.

Advanced Info
    =============
    There is one major annoyance; most standard library managers ONLY allow numbers for the series index. I use a custom field in Calibre (defined as text) to allow Alpha stuff (like Box Set, Omnibus, nn of nn, etc) to be in the custom column/field #extendedseriesindex. When the custom #extendedseriesname has series copied to it, any invalid filename characters like dash/-, colon/:, or ampersand/& will be converted to underscrore/_. Both of those custom fields (and a 3rd #extendedseriesgenre) are all entries in the Meta Data and CSS, and will be populated if your library has those fields defined when added. Those custom fields are copied to the standard field (and the text is converted to a number only (or 0) for standard users. ie add these custom fields, import/add these books and they will be populated during import/add.

The Metadata in the book itself (or in the .opf file) sometimes has multiple authors, but the filename always shows only a single author. Due to filename length constraints, sometimes the title is truncated and the extra is in the custom field #titleparttwo

Summary of all of the various apps referenced above

Trouba has already made most of these into Apps, and most of them are free and portable.

MPC-BE
    AIMP
    VLC
    foobar2000
    fre:ac
    Chapter and Verse
    Chapter Master
    AAC Audiobook Creator
    Musicolet
    Time Calculator
    MP3 Merger
    Mp3tag
    Faasoft Audio Converter
    Bulk Rename Utility
    IrfanView
    mp3DirectCut
    mp3split
    My MP4Box GUI
    mkvToolNix
    Audacity
    Advanced Renamer
    EZ CD Audio Converter
    Calibre

Attached Files:

Trouba and The Freezer like this.
  2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

I'd like to try out some of those GraphicAudio books with their "full cast of actors, narration, sound effects and cinematic music".

I came across those GraphicAudio books at a couple truck stops I had been servicing and they caught my attention. I've always been a fan of Radio Dramas -- old-time radio's "The Shadow" and such or more modern radio like NPR's "Star Wars Trilogy" and the BBC's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Any recommendations?

3. bphlpt

For the GA books? Their tag line is "A Movie in Your Mind". I don't have any in particular to recommend.

Personally, I tend to be more interested in an unabridged reading of a detective/mystery type of book - think Clive Cussler, Sue Grafton, Tom Clancy, James Patterson, Michael Connelly, John Grisham, Dean Koontz, John Lescroart, Robert Ludlum, John Le Carré, or a young adult adventure - Cressida Cowell, C. S. Lewis, J. K. Rowling, classic SciFi like Issac Asimov, Ben Bova, some true history or other science stuff, or an autobiography, read by the author - Billy Crystal. Martin Short, Steve Martin, or all of Anthony Bourdain's books. For non "read by the author" books, the reader is one of the main things that helps me really enjoy the book - Scott Brick is one of my favorite readers.

A lot of the GA books I see at AudioBookBay are fantasy, dragon type of books, Brandon Sanderson and Stacy Ryder as two example authors, but, so you can see what they are like, I've uploaded a copy of "Butch Cassidy - The Lost Years.mp3", by William W. Johnstone & J. A. Johnstone, along with the cue sheet for it. I haven't listened to it yet, but since you said you were a fan of the Radio Dramas, it seemed to fit the genre. I put it in the Vergitek team/public folder. Be sure to let me know if you can find it or not. When I got it, it was in .m4b and 690,117,796 bytes. I did what I explained above, and now it is 171,619,383 bytes. I'll only keep it in separate chapter form, but your combined copy has the internal cue sheet in it as well. I'd be curious to see if any of the audio players you have access to can utilize it, or if they need the external one. Enjoy!

The Freezer likes this.
  4. bphlpt

For those of you who are not familiar with AudioBookBay - http://audiobookbay.nl/ - they have a vast collection of torrent postings of audiobooks, ( I think over 70,000 posted since 2009 ). They cover categories including:

(Post)apocalyptic
    Action
    Adventure
    Art
    Autobiography & Biographies
    Business
    Computer
    Contemporary
    Crime
    Detective
    Doctor Who
    Education
    Fantasy
    General Fiction
    Historical Fiction
    History
    Horror
    Humor
    Lecture
    LGBT
    Literature
    LitRPG
    Misc. Non-fiction
    Mystery
    Paranormal
    Plays & Theater
    Poetry
    Political
    Radio Productions
    Romance
    Sci-Fi
    Science
    Self-help
    Spiritual & Religious
    Sports
    Suspense
    Thriller
    True Crime
    Tutorial
    Westerns

These are just some of the postings over the last few days [ I didn't include any of the Romance, Paranormal, Horror, (Post)apocalyptic, among others ]

-- Aptowicz, Cristin O'Keefe -- 2014 - Dr. Mtter's Marvels; A True Tale of Intrigue and Innovation at the Dawn of Modern Medicine [read by Erik Singer]
    -- Austerlitz, Saul -- 2019 - Generation Friends; An Inside Look at the Show That Defined a Television Era [read by Barrett Leddy]
    -- Blake, Russell -- Black #03 - 2013 - Black Is the New Black [read by R. C. Bray]
    -- Brittle, Gerald -- 1980 - The Demonologist; The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren [read by Todd Haberkorn]
    -- Brown, Dan -- Robert Langdon #05 - 2017 - Origin [read by Paul Michael]
    -- Bryson, Bill -- 2006 - The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid [read by Bill Bryson]
    -- Buhner, Stephen Harrod -- 2012 - The Transformational Power of Fasting; The Way to Spiritual, Physical, and Emotional Rejuvenation [read by Stephen Harrod Buhner]
    -- Bunyan, John -- 1678 - The Pilgrim's Progress; From This World, to That Which Is to Come [read by David Shaw-Parker]
    -- Clayton, Matt -- 2017 - Celtic Mythology; Captivating Celtic Myths of Celtic Gods, Goddesses, Heroes and Legendary Creatures [read by Randy Whitlow]
    -- Cleeves, Ann -- Vera Stanhope #04 - 2011 - Silent Voices [read by Janine Birkett]
    -- Cleveland, Karen -- 2018 - Need to Know [read by Mia Barron]
    -- Daly, Paula -- 2019 - Clear My Name [read by Colleen Prendergast]
    -- Dawkins, Richard -- 2019 - Outgrowing God; A Beginner's Guide [read by Richard Dawkins]
    -- Dickens, Charles -- 1857 - Little Dorrit [read by Juliet Stevenson]
    -- Dickens, Charles (& Howard Jacobson - Intro) -- 1861 - Great Expectations [read by Matt Lucas]
    -- Ford, Rhys -- Ramen Assassin #01 - 2019 - Ramen Assassin [read by Kale Williams]
    -- Fritz, Stephen G. -- 2018 - The First Soldier; Hitler as Military Leader [read by P. J. Ochlan]
    -- Granger, Ann -- Fran Varady #01 - 1997 - Asking for Trouble [read by Kim Hicks]
    -- Granger, Ann -- Fran Varady #02 - 1997 - Keeping Bad Company [read by Kim Hicks]
    -- Granger, Ann -- Fran Varady #03 - 1998 - Running Scared [read by Nicole Arumugam]
    -- Granger, Ann -- Fran Varady #04 - 2001 - Risking It All [read by Kim Hicks]
    -- Granger, Ann -- Fran Varady #05 - 2003 - Watching Out [read by Kim Hicks]
    -- Granger, Ann -- Fran Varady #06 - 2005 - Mixing With Murder [read by Kim Hicks]
    -- Granger, Ann -- Fran Varady #07 - 2007 - Rattling the Bones [read by Kim Hicks]
    -- Gratz, Alan -- 2019 - Allies [read by Jamie Cline & Vaneh Assadourian & PJ Ochlan & Matthew Frow & Mar A. Samuel & Norah Hunter]
    -- Hamilton, Edith -- 1932 - The Roman Way [read by Nadia May]
    -- Hamilton, Edith -- 1942 - Mythology; Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes [read by Suzanne Toren]
    -- Hannula, Richard M. -- 1999 - Trial and Triumph; Stories from Church History [read by Daniel Newman]
    -- Heinlein, Robert A. -- 1959 - Starship Troopers [read by Lloyd James]
    -- Hill, Gerri -- 2007 - The Target [read by Abby Craden]
    -- Humphreys, C. C. -- 2013 - Shakespeare's Rebel [read by C.C. Humphreys]
    -- King, Ross -- 2012 - Leonardo and the Last Supper [read by Mark Meadows]
    -- Klein, Marty -- 2012 - Sexual Intelligence - What We Really Want from Sex and How to Get It [read by Alan Winter]
    -- Landes, David -- 2006 - Dynasties; Fortunes and Misfortunes of the World's Great Family Businesses [read by Alan Sklar]
    -- Leschziner, Dr. Guy -- 2019 - The Nocturnal Brain; Nightmares, Neuroscience, and the Secret World of Sleep [read by Dr. Guy Leschziner]
    -- Lewis, C. S. -- 1942 - The Screwtape Letters [read by Ralph Cosham]
    -- MacDonald, John D. -- Travis McGee #01 - 1964 - The Deep Blue Good-Bye [read by Michael Prichard]
    -- Maddow, Rachel -- 2019 - Blowout [read by Rachel Maddow]
    -- Mahaffey, James -- 2014 - Atomic Accidents; A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters; From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima [read by Tom Weiner]
    -- Mazur, Robert -- 2009 - The Infiltrator; Undercover in the World of Drug Barons and Dirty Banks [read by Robert Mazur]
    -- Meltzer, Brad & Mensch, Josh -- 2019 - The First Conspiracy; The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington [read by Scott Brick]
    -- Moeller, Jonathan -- Frostborn #06 - 2014 - The Dark Warden [read by Brad Wills]
    -- Mosley, Walter -- Easy Rawlins #12 - 2013 - Little Green [read by Michael Boatman]
    -- Papagianni, Dimitra & Morse, Michael A. -- 2013 - The Neanderthals Rediscovered; How Modern Science is Rewriting Their Story [read by Nigel Patterson]
    -- Robinson, Jeremy -- 2019 - Tether [read by Jeffrey Kafer]
    -- Seiple, Samantha -- 2017 - Death on the River of Doubt; Theodore Roosevelt's Amazon Adventure [read by David de Vries]
    -- Seuss, Dr. -- 2019 - Dr. Seuss' Horse Museum [read by Samira Wiley]
    -- Snowe, Marian -- 2019 - Guarding Her Heart [read by Nicole Evans Haumesser]
    -- Stiles, T. J. -- 1993 - Jesse James; Last Rebel of the Civil War [read by Christopher Lane]
    -- Strathern, Paul -- 2009 - The Artist, the Philosopher, and the Warrior; The Intersecting Lives of Da Vinci, Machiavelli, and Borgia, and the World They Shaped [read by Nigel Patterson]
    -- Strauss, Barry -- 2019 - Ten Caesars; Roman Emperors from Augustus to Constantine [read by Arthur Morey ]
    -- Tsouras, Peter G. -- 2014 - Warlords of Ancient Mexico; How the Mayans and Aztecs Ruled for More Than a Thousand Years [read by Paul Christy]
    -- VA -- 2000 - In Their Own Voices; The U.S. Presidential Elections of 1908 and 1912 [read by William Jennings Bryan & William H. Taft & Woodrow Wilson & Theodore Roosevelt ]
    -- Vagas, Fred -- Commissaire Adamsberg #03 - 2007 - Wash This Blood Clean from My Hand [read by Saul Reichlin]
    -- Vaux, Richard & Kuhn, Brad -- 2019 - Dirty Work; The untold story of my secret mission to steal back TWA Flight 847 from Hezbollah [read by Charles Heller]
    -- Walters, Minette -- 2005 - The Devil's Feather [read by Josephine Bailey]
    -- Winton, Tim -- 1984 - Shallows [read by Tracey Callander]
    -- Winton, Tim -- 1988 - In the Winter Dark [read by James Wright]

Since all of the postings are torrents posted by users, the usual comment regarding the postings apply: The variety, quality, size, sample rate, bit rate, accuracy, and speed of downloads of the offerings will vary, and all torrents will eventually die. The reaction time of the site is sometimes slow, especially through a VPN, depending on your VPN provider and server, of course. Also, AudioBookBay has occasionally moved over the last few years, but http://audiobookbay.me or http://audiobookbayabb.com will usually find it.

The Freezer likes this.
  5. The Freezer

Do you know if they have any of the GA books in their "catalog"?

6. bphlpt

The Freezer likes this.
  7. The Freezer

Thank you. I'll "check it out". (Library humor)

I'm actually looking for material by "John Zakour" -- his Dangerous Dames series.

8. bphlpt

ABB has posts for all of them, listed as "Nuclear Bombshell", found with this search - http://audiobookbay.nl/?s=john+zakour. Do I need to LMGTFY, except using ABB's search engine? It's pretty good.

-- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/the-raven-haired-rogue-nuclear-bombshell-9-john-zakour/
    -- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/nuclear-bombshell-the-bionic-bikini-8graphicaudio-john-zakour/
    -- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/nuclear-bombshell-07-the-sapphire-sirens-john-zakour/
    -- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/nuclear-bombshell-06-the-flaxen-femme-fatale-john-zakour/
    -- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/nuclear-bombshell-05-the-blue-haired-bombshell-john-zakour/
    -- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/...rost-haired-vixen-john-zakour-lawrence-ganem/
    -- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/...dioactive-redhead-john-zakour-lawrence-ganem/
    -- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/...doomsday-brunette-john-zakour-lawrence-ganem/
    -- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/...-plutonium-blonde-john-zakour-lawrence-ganem/
    -- http://audiobookbay.nl/audio-books/nuclear-bombshell-series-john-zakour-and-lawrence-ganem/ -- which includes "Nuclear Bombshell 00 - The Peach Haired Bomber " and 1-7.

and other postings for books from the series as well, those are just the most recent ones. Most of of those posts were from 2015 - the last one was 2018, and the one before that 2017. The torrents are probably dead. I only checked the latest one, but I didn't get any action on it.

EDIT: Actually, try the last link above, the oldest, from Aug 2015. It's downloading fine. So that will get you most of them, 3.43 GB worth. And, according to the Wiki you listed above, "Bionic Bikini" isn't part of the series, and "Raven Haired Rogue" is apparently a GA presentation made from a serialization.

EDIT 2: Nuclear Bombshell #08 & #09 eventually did download. So they are all available. Did you get them? I think I saw that you did? If you follow my suggestions above you can cut their size down to a third of their downloaded size, with no noticeable difference, at least to my ears.

9. The Freezer

Nah, I had found all those last night just from your previous links before. I was just saying that's what I was looking for at that moment and had been what originally caught my eye (at the truck stops) for the entire GraphicAudios as interesting.

I have a couple of the books; the rest I had to do some inter-library loans to read the rest. I also knew some of them were only available as audiobooks. The rest were only ever published as paperbacks; which I was going to collect them all via Amazon. I just never got around to it and your thread here kind of reminded me of that. :)

And THEN to my delight I discovered they'd made audio dramas of them all!
    (I still want to collect the rest of the paperbacks though).

"Bionic Bikini" is definitely part of the series but they had it listed as "Interactive" fiction (a game, perhaps?). That plus "Peach-Haired Bomber" and "Raven Haired Rogue" are the only ones I knew I wouldn't be able to find as paperbacks. On Amazon they're only offered as Audio Books -- narrated or dramatized, I don't remember.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. I hadn't meant for you to follow-up with a full-on search for me. :eek:

Yes, last night those two (08 & 09) and the series (00 - 07) completed. Most of the others aren't moving for me either. But how did you know it was me? I was using Nord. :what:

10. bphlpt

Just a guess. I was also using Nord, but my torrent client listed the IPs of those that were also downloading those series, there were only a couple of others, and I noticed the same IP for all three of them. If it wasn't you, it was a pretty big coincidence.

I'm glad you found ABB useful.

The Freezer likes this.
  11. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

We really need a "Save thread as PDF" addon for this forum, agree?

I tend to use "Print Friendly & PDF" because it: a) has no non-page related "extras" or address line, etc., and b) you can take out elements, paragraphs, images, etc., you don't want in the PDF by clicking on them (it has a built-in editor). This is on Firefox, not sure it exists for other browsers.

The Freezer and bphlpt like this.
  12. bphlpt

Trouba likes this.
  13. The Freezer

Opera has it built-in. "Save as PDF" with various options (besides page size, orientation, etc.) to include or exclude "Headers & Footers" or "Background graphics" -- AND it prints the entire thread. I did not know it could do that. Nice.

Trouba likes this.
  14. bphlpt

I use to use Opera a lot, I always have it installed. I might have to use it more often. Every so often it's features will sup[rise you.

15. The Freezer

Sorry, I was wrong. It only prints just the entire page -- however long that is -- not the entire thread. Though I suppose you could change your settings to increase the number of postings per page. ;)

Right now it's set at 25 postings per page.

Trouba likes this.
  16. bphlpt

Print Friendly & PDF is the same, one page at a time, as far as I can tell. I know some forums have the option to change the number of postings per page, but if we have that here, I can't find it.

17. The Freezer

Me, neither. Wherever it is, it's currently set at 25 posting per page.

EDIT -- Found it. From the Admin CP: "Options", "Messages", "Messages Per Page". Unfortunately, that's a global setting. Not a per User Preference.

bphlpt likes this.
  18. Trouba

Thanks BP, interesting read and thank you for writing it! Yeah I had been gone for some time, busy with other things but I already saved this great info.

Not sure what forum soft it was -- I thought it was vBulletin -- that had an addon for saving threads as PDF. It might also have been per page only, not the entire thread, I can't remember now. Since XenForo is really a vBulletin child in many ways, I thought it might have one as well. Haven't looked but I figured someone here might have looked into it already.

19. Trouba

Wouldn't mind that, myself.

bphlpt likes this.