Exclude WU Drivers In Quality Update (reg tweak)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ghost, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Shawn Brink is the creator of this, I just removed his signage from the reg file

I was actually reading another post when someone posted this as a link to the thread he had created, so here it is, Exclude WU Drivers In Quality Update reg tweak

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

2. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

It does do what I want !

Untitled.png

3. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Now to add this to the hive file in all .wim .esd files, any one know the quick route to do this ?

As is it is not applied until reg tweaks are applied into desktop, at this point MS drivers are already coming in by default.

I do know that the Default reg hive will need loaded , add key then save/unload hive.

4. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

mount the image you want, then use the reg edit to load the HIVE by clicking in reg edit the h key machine without expanding everything just high lighted, tell reg edit to load ( click File in reg edit Load Hive ) go to the mounted wim folder
    mountfolder\windows\system32\config SOFTWARE hive create a name for the hive I used Ghost to be separate

replace Ghost below with the name you used
    go to this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Ghost\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

in here you will see the reg key already there, just double click the key name ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate and set the 0 to 1

collapse all the tree back to the name you created and just high light it, click File Unload Hive and commit changes as Yes

Close all explorer windows and commit changes to the wim file as needed :p

Untitled1.png

5. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Yes, image mounting and loading reg hives, I remember that from the n/vLite days and making lite images :) I would think the reg tweak should apply when using the LastOS style image structure, because for example in that we also make use of local machine tweaks that apply to current user before first logon, but for vanilla type installs editing the reg hive would be a good option.

Ghost likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

@Trouba Exactly as this can be used as both ways as you say, but I have too many drivers come in before desktop, with the reg key already there it is too easy just to change 0 to 1 :)

Trouba likes this.
  7. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Umm guys, why do I add features you aren't using :p

W:\zzLast10_LTSC_v7_x64\01_Syspreping\01Update_CleanVM\02_Tweaks.cmd

edit this file to see how, but basically; W:\zzLast10_LTSC_v7_x64\01_Syspreping\01Update_CleanVM\00_Tweaks\DefaultLast11_RegTweaks.reg and DefaultTweaks.reg are applied to the image at sysprep stage, it mounts the hive and unloads it

rem ************************************************************
    rem ****************** Tweak Default Account *******************
    rem ************************************************************
    reg load HKLM\DEFAULT C:\users\default\ntuser.dat
    rem Add Tweaks and StartAllBack Tweaks to default user
    rem [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\DEFAULT\SOFTWARE]
    regedit /s %~dp000_Tweaks\DefaultTweaks.reg
    regedit /s %~dp000_Tweaks\DefaultStartAllBack.reg
    regedit /s %~dp000_Tweaks\DefaultLast11_RegTweaks.reg
    rem Hide Taskview button on Taskbar
    reg add "HKLM\DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v ShowTaskViewButton /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg unload HKLM\DEFAULT

Check the registry files I used as you NEED to modify the .reg to point to DEFAULT path:

;********************** Edited to apply to DEFAULT user ************************
    ;Replaced HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\DEFAULT\

-EDIT-

reg add "HKLM\DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings" /v ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

-EDIT-

I put a lot of things in the default user now, so that all new created users (even during install) get the options set.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024