Getting closer to LastOS way of doing it.

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by 00Proteus00, Jan 25, 2020.

1. 00Proteus00

00Proteus00 Active Member

Post installed problems fixed ( thanks @Glenn ), now to just get a few other thing wrapped up and its almost worthy. I didnt do this one as a PE boot version, which is EASILY fixed, but as a regular install. I know you guys like the "User/Password" already in there method, but Im still kinda hung on the regular way of letting people choose their credentials. I can however adapt for a LastOS release. Here is what I ended with....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 Back in Black

Back in Black is a darker themed build for those who like to live on the darker side.
    Comes with a few necessary programs installed with the option to add a LOT more
    with the post installer. This helps keep the install smaller and allows you to add what
    YOU want instead of what I make you take.

About
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 18363.592
    All updates thru Jnuary 25, 2020
    Language: Multi
    Size: 5.93gb

NOTE: Once Windows is finished installing, double click the "Post InstallerI" icon on the desktop
    and the post installer program will open and you can choose as many programs as you like.
    DVD/Flashdrive MUST be inserted for the post installer to work. DONT delete the icon til finished
    installing what you want.

Removed
    Nothing

Disabled
    Nothing

Added
    StartisBack
    UxThemepatcher
    Ribbon Disabler
    Custom Darker Themes
    Midnight Black Icon Pack
    MS Visual Basic Updates
    Right Click Enhancer
    WPD (Windows Privacy Dashboard)

Additional Software Available via Post Installer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 00Proteus00

I could put the ssWPI script into the $OEM$ folder and have it autorun as soon as they finish setup, that would save them a double click. I havent played with it yet, but Im gonna try using the Menu.EXE in a build and see how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Menu.exe can be compiled with Xojo 2014 available in that repository, but you can simply edit the X:\Sources\InstallApps.cmd to open X:\ssWPI\ssWPI.exe instead of X:\sources\$ssWPI\ssWPI.exe - this was done intentional, also while your in x:\sources\menu.png <- this will change the Menu backdrop. If you have a X:\Sources\ReadMe.txt the Menu.exe will open that for end users to see if clicked on.

From ssWPI you can right click on any item and pick Save Current List, this will copy to clipboard and create a My List.txt file on your desktop with all the items in ssWPI - save using a screenshot of the included apps, you can use as text instead.

X:\sources\$ssWPI\Themes <- ssWPI can also be re-themed using jpg's, pngs's and editing the Style.ini file for fonts and colors.

The blue window color in your setup isn't matching the rest of the dark theme, I know it has to be kept light to read the text, but it would be better gray or a mild color instead of the current light blue. The rest of the theme is really good!

You can in fact remove the user creation and a few other options out of the AutoUnattend.xml (or unattend.xml if you go that route), this will bring up the window asking for user creation like normal, but I can understand with the multiple options it's best to leave it to the end user to decide all of it... so do as you prefer.

Good to see your progress, thanks.

The Freezer and 00Proteus00 like this.
  4. 00Proteus00

Agreed about the blue box. Hindsight is 20/20. I was more worried about getting the post installer working right. They will download it anyway regardless of my color blindness lol (at other forum). Working on a monochrome build right now and will definitely take your advice on the grey installer colors.

5. Glenn

BTW I love the iTheme/LastOS based Nano Theme Trouba and I created for ssWPI, it works great and you must agree as you didn't mention otherwise:

Here is some more themes (extract them into the ssWPI root folder, has \Themes included), to try them out run ssWPI and by using the Options/Themes Sub menu (will list them all)

Attached Files:

00Proteus00 likes this.
  6. 00Proteus00

I'm varying the theme with each build. Love what you guys did with the ssWPI program. Truly a step above!! Im working on another monochrome build right now. I just changed build drive to a SSD and I can do a build in under 4 hrs. Im really getting into this again, feels refreshing to have new utils at my disposal

7. Glenn

I actually made GUI based OS builders in the past that Automated entire mods (NTLite, WinBuilder, Custom Themes and App Overlays, ISO creation), Since we all moved to using Sysprep captures I have no longer updated it - So I've been trying to get more people excited about modding for many years and also trying to make tools that everyone can use in any way the want, so for instance if someone wanted to add their own Apps to ssWPI they could and hopefully people can pick and choose what they want included in their own USB installer regardless of the modders releasing them, it never stuck tho. Those smart enough to use my tools were happy sticking to the methods they have always used (Silent SFX Archived apps, $OEM integration, Kels WPI or others) I can understand diversity creates choice and innovation, but each modder was spending longer and longer updating the included apps instead of focusing on Tools, graphics, themes and tweaks. It was worth a try way back then and now there is renewed interest it's better late than never, if you end up adopting it :D

So I am still happy to help you out with whatever you need, eg if you have trouble theming ssWPI, Menu or anything (even Menu Items added or removed), Just share your concept(s) and ask.

00Proteus00 likes this.
  8. 00Proteus00

thanks a TON for everything you have already helped me with. Im getting closer to a build to show you here for a release. Maybe I can do you proud. My methods differ just a bit, but the ending result is pretty decent, and may even qualify for your gallery once I get it perfected.

9. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

It might be nice if LastOS was mentioned under "Support", in addition to TeamOS. :)

As Glenn mentioned, while others have seemed to stick with their tried and true methods of including many apps with their releases, we decided that it made more sense to keep the release size smaller, and use a separate app disk, or an app repository. and allow the user, through ssWPI, to decide which apps to install. At one point ssWPI was able to download apps directly from our repository, or some other one if preferred. If other folks start having enough interest, it might be worthwhile for us to reinstate that ability. The feature was removed when ssWPI's ability to act as a game launcher was enhanced, so I'm not sure how difficult a job that may be.

00Proteus00 and The Freezer like this.
  10. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

I am looking forward to the links for this build.

11. Glenn

I would probably remake a ssWPI downloader to be more lean and use Nerfedits way of downloading and parsing the direct index.php of the Repository and not have to do it all manually.. it would mean I would have to generate a online description and screenshot repository for it to use instead, but that is still better than users having to manually download the ones they want one at a time... I will think more about it once I update ssWPI this week or next ;)

12. 00Proteus00

I made sure I gave @Glenn and the whole LastOS team props for helping out with these builds. Here is what is on the page for the OS's

[​IMG]

bphlpt likes this.
  13. 00Proteus00

Right after I posted that, THIS was posted on the main login page.

[​IMG]

Dont know if its geared towards me or not. Frankly I dont care if it is. Ya'll helped me out and thanks were deserved and given. If I get booted for that, then you gain a full time inquisitive very busy member. Im not trying to recruit anybody from there to come here, nor anyone from here to go there. Both forums can co-exist in harmony if some of the egos will let it.

14. billybob62

billybob62 Member

I agree with you Proteus00! I have been a member on both sites and dont need to be told that i cant be on both at the same time.And if they boot you from TeamOS than its too bad for there luck lol!

00Proteus00 likes this.
  15. billybob62

billybob62 Member

And i really like what Glen & Team are doing on here. Better understanding of how things work and no smart ass admins telling me to Google something instead of just giving me the answer like the nice staff do here, So long live LastOS!!!

00Proteus00 likes this.
  16. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

@00Proteus00, That sounds similar to what happened to Glenn that caused him to be banned from TeamOS. Egos indeed. Even if a site was able and willing to include info about every piece of hardware, driver, OS, App, methods for creating them, and full support for them [ which no site in the world has ever been able to do, nor ever will be able to do ] that kind of stance is paranoid and is a type of censorship. Whereas, encouraging folks to explore other sites, learn what they can, and come back and share it with others helps everyone, so what's the problem? Like you say, it's not like you're trying to steal folks from one site to the other, or convert folks from one religion or political party to the other. And even if you were, if you were pointing out things that are better at one place than another, then maybe if they took some of that advice to heart it would improve things. But unfortunately, as they say, power corrupts, and as long as folks believe that what they are doing is "right", or "best", at least for them, then they are not likely to change, until what they are doing effects them personally. --::sigh::--

billybob62 and The Freezer like this.
  17. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

LOL, someone over there posted this:
    [​IMG]

18. Glenn

PMSL at the image freezer, thanks for that.

I have never told people not to go to TeamOS, they have many OS modders over there, so why would I? I think you should go anywhere you can to learn and share and grow, just do NOT trust every one on the internet to respect you as a person, many only respect the releases and followers they draw in, I personally do not like followers (I am not driven by money or fame) - in fact I don't have any social sites at all or own a mobile phone (since November 2018) I have no real interest in discussing people/groups, only ideas, that doesn't mean I don't respect the time, effort or interactions we have here at LastOS, it just means I enjoy teaching and learning from people, not just learning who they are, what they do and what limited beliefs they have put on themselves - because we are all more the same than we are different - once your past the ego anyway.

So join in here if you want, at the end of the day I appreciate everyone who spends their valuable time and efforts either learning or sharing in anything to make more people save time and become more computer independent at home. Businesses are not aimed at here, also not excluded, but the tools are open sourced, so take them and support them yourself even for that purpose :) I just want to see the world grow and get stronger as I have been trying to do myself in the last 4 years I have taken off from modding OS's full time.

billybob62 and 00Proteus00 like this.
  19. 00Proteus00

lol, make me a section LastAL or something, and I will fill it with good quality releases :) (just kidding about the LastAL) (btw, AL is my real name)

In all seriousness, I wouldnt mind posting some of my builds here if you wanted them. They arent as thorough as yours, but some may want to give em a whirl. Plus, you could have better access to see what I can improve upon.

billybob62 likes this.
  20. Glenn

http://forum.lastos.org/index.php?forums/lastos-based-mods-by-other-members.203/

There you go, we are not looking to make a complete listing of every build you ever make :) just ones that include at least one or more of the tools we build here at LastOS.

Anybody is aloud to make threads for their tinkering, either Windows 10 or any other Windows versions or even Live Base OS Installer boot.wim's or ISO, I'll moderate it as required.

21. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

Oh my, stick to here and no worries. Seriously that is to me like brainwashing, do not understand that, I have never felt that way here or at SITP, or AP, just makes since to be free and learn and share.

Find that place that makes you comfortable, not locked in!

00Proteus00 likes this.
  22. 00Proteus00

Working on re-doing a couple OS's and removing "forum related" info from them. Will post in the new section when done. Thanks for that btw :)

23. 00Proteus00

1 problem still haunts me. Maybe someone here has overcome it. After every new custom release I make, upon installation windows automatically defaults to the default login screen. I have taken ownership of the folders during creation, deleted ALL the images (ie: img100.jpg etc... as well as the default desktop wallpaper img0.jpg.) then inserted my own images (img100.jpg etc....), and yet the trusted installer always sets the login as the beach cave scene login after a new install of new custom OS?!?!? Have any of you figured out a way around this yet? I tried taking ownership of the entire C:\ (during build) and wound up not being able to change the login screen at ALL when installed! Ive tried taking ownership of just the C:\Windows\Web folder as well with no results. Im at a loss. As it is, once install is completed, the user then has to go into personalization and choose custom login screen and custom desktop screen. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Google is NO help whatsoever.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  24. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

At one point I had this working but probably with LTSB. But they keep changing stuff and I've read some posts about IT people deploying images and it drives them mad. If you do it one way, you get a blue lock screen instead, or if you successfully do it for one user account, all other user accounts created will have blue lock screen, etc. So I just let it go, but then again my images aren't highly modded like yours in the visual department. I am a VirtualBox user so I don't use any patched Windows files because of hard checks by VB and the current MS update model, but I commend your courage ;)

00Proteus00 likes this.
  25. 00Proteus00

What trackers do I use/add if I want to add a torrent download for OS's I create? lol, I'm running out of room on google drive.