HISTORY OF LASTOS

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by mircea, Jul 21, 2021.

1. mircea

mircea Member

Please all member to contribute to this post.My first encounter whit LastOs was on build LastOs v22 [usb].In that time LastOs v22 usb was a miracle for me.All the previously windows install was a huge adventures...[becouse of so many hours spend to install].Now i have a sistem from 2004[whit only 4GB ram installed] but whit WINDOWS7 build by TROUBA[updated to 2021].So i see that from LastOs v22 usb there is a guy called GLENN that help this site to survive and prosper...there are many people that help this site to survive...but i dont now who there are....so please anyoane that have some nice words to tell about all these great guys please speak.

57331 and Trouba like this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I have had many people come and go who have supported LastXP (LastOS). But the ones who are on the site daily are the long standing ones, I know I'll miss some but here are a few and what they are known by me for (not in entirely but most prominent), been a long day so I also may favor more on a few than the others (sorry guys, you are all important to the life of LastOS) :

TheFreezerBox - He was also a XP die hard fan, but his skills in programming were honed in way better than my wild west way and he took over the development and conversion of SetupS (the heart of LastOS's), without his efforts then LastOS's would have been way less fun to use. He has always continued to drive LastOS to have a stable home and made sure to keep the ethos alive and well. Without Freezer their would be no LastOS still.

Trouba - He wandered across my path at a few sites but was most noticed at SITP (AppzPoint) where his passion and no bullshit approach got him banned nearly as often as I was. He demands respect for his time (as we all should) and he taught me the value in what I do. On top of this he mastered making Apps with SetupS and pushed both myself and Freezer to add features and fixes we would have missed. He has been very helpful and the most understanding to all members at LastOS, even when he has been busy he makes time for us all here.

bphlpt - This is a long time forum friend who has helped sort out many forum related projects as well as being a warm and present introduction to LastOS, he has done so much more and found information for us that we've not been able to, he has supported us and many other hard working OS modders and I appreciate having him about. On top of this he is the guy who remade ssWPI in RealStudio to use a database instead of having to scan every app every time, without his great knowledge of programming we would still be waiting for my huge MGP's to load to have the list to pick from :D

codezer0 - He was ALWAYS and will always be the best bug finder, he was always keen to test my creations and would give the best feedback, I really enjoyed the time he gave to me when I was in mad creative mode :D

soporific - He was first, one of the modders I met who inspired me to take on the XP modding scene as well as us both being Aussies who enjoyed the chase of the best and most complete OS mod we could create. He comes and goes, but is always up for the challenge of learning a new OS to mod.

pacav69 - This is the guy who originally documented LastOS tools, he did amazing work that I should have kept up to so more people would have adopted more users. Freezer took over the SetupS instructions which are still the easiest part to understand (and the most powerful).

ghost - He is the brains, if there is a way to do the impossible, he'll find it and show up at the perfect time to share it with us. so many features of LastOS were because he was willing to put in the effort to force thing to work that really sometimes shouldn't have.

crabdance (john) - This was another coder who was late to the scene and flew through adding ideas and fixing problems.

kay (haven seen for a while) now known as WhiteAndBlue - He was the one who got USB XP to work on everyone's PC's, without his testing and re-testing, nobody would have it more than a dream (well until WinNTSetup).

Justice (JustInTime) - He was the Linux and open sourced side of LastOS - inspired me to support Linux and even make NovoBuilder (LastOS Linux Bulider)

There were many others along the way but I have forgotten their tags, they helped me with LastXP v14 and v15, carona (I think) did the art and I can't think of the others right now.

I ALWAYS have time for any staff or known friend when I am aware I am needed, just because my life has changed, doesn't mean I wont spare the time to help those who helped me.

Ok now some bonus information:

LastXP v9 was made before I went public and was based on Viking 7 OS mod (Before that, LastXP v8 was all me and was mostly about automation and appearance with a few tools I made).

My favorite OS has always been the latest one!!! - I do miss some features and the appearances are uglier, but I am happiest on the bleeding edge (as I was with Ubuntu/Debian/KDE etc), I just love finding what the new features can do while providing a way to get back some of the old that MS try to lose between OS's (because they are trying to force users to adopt, but NO we adapt!).

I learnt how to use a unattended file at my Traineeship introduction in 1997 when I was 16, (WinNT.sif I think it was, been a LOT of years don't quote me), this is where my journey started.

I was once in a magazine:

roninterviewpc7.gif

I hope this entertains and informs you all :D

3. mircea

mircea Member

Thanks very much GLENN.A wonderful story.

4. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Just to have everything in one place, here is my posts from the shoutbox:

The "History of this site" is really a small part of "History of "LastOS." I'm not sure when the LastOS site actually started, (maybe 2010 or so when work on Last7 was beginning?) Shortly after that is when I discovered the site and became involved., and I'm the last staff member to join the site. The "Histroy of the site" or "History of LastOS" is really better stated as the "History of Glenn." He has always been the heart and soul of the site and the project, while Pixelad was a major enabler. LastOS began as a combination of Glenn wanting to customize the OS to best meet his needs and a way to help others to also meet theirs. His efforts started at other OS Mod sites, as a way to spread his help as fast and as far as he could while he could get as much feedback as he could. That worked pretty well, but at sites such as SharingIsThePoint, in addition to a small amount of feedback, he also got a lot of hassle from "fans" that felt they were owed more and sooner than what they got. Fortunately, a few others, such as Trouba, Freezer, and the rest of who is now on staff at LastOS, had "gathered around" Glenn, and Pixelad, who owned and ran SharingIsThePoint, AlchemistRevolution, and other sites, offered to provide site space for Glenn and that is how the site LastOS was born. Since then, this site has tried to come up with mods for both OS and Apps and provide tools and knowledge so that others can implement those same mods to their systems. And all mods have been open source and freely distributed.

Also be sure to check this out - http://www.lastos.org/forum/index.php?threads/history-of-lastos.1232/

The Freezer and mircea like this.
  5. unitop4

unitop4 GUINEA PIG TESTER

Wow, now I feel old because I remember SITP and Alchemist Revolution. Alot of great memories there at those sites. Too bad I didn't save anything from those days.

mircea likes this.
  6. Steve Hedges

Steve Hedges belveder

As much as I love Last OS which I have used from the beginning, there are one or two others like WinBorg, Retestrak (i think I got that right), Gamers Editions, CosmosOS, AwakenOS and a couple more. Most stopped doing these projects with the start of Windows 10.

There are tons of moded Windows 10 around but they are all pretty much alike, it's just not the same as previous Windows.

Trouba likes this.
  7. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

And by the way, CosmOS and AwakenOS were also RON's/Glenn's releases. And WinBorg by above-mentioned Soporific.

mircea likes this.
  8. Spitfire400

Spitfire400 New Member

I had heard of this website, and some of the custom/ modded OS that came from here. I did not think it would still be running, nor open to registrations any longer. So much respect to the original gang that came together, and those left that have kept it alive this long.

mircea and bphlpt like this.
  9. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

Here is my 2cents worth but with inflation i think it is something like 2million doubloons there was a time where i was nutting out how to install windows automagiclly, this was windows 3.1 mind you with network capability or was that v3.11 it has been so long since i touched it. Somewhere in my past i was in a position to learn how to write technical manuals and when i came across Glen's work i noticed his documentation was difficult to follow as a garden variety user. So that is when i asked to join the team and help polish his errm you know a what ya mecallit his ... software where i added screen shots and a flow that even the most basic of garden variety users could follow i even got praise from a user saying something like "it was if he was right there instructing me on how to do it step by step". When I see comments from users and they say "i couldn't follow this or i couldn't follow that" that's when i try to listen carefully to what they say and create a document to make people understand how it works and how to tweak it for their use giving them a sense of pride and achievement.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    chevy350, bphlpt and Glenn like this.