How MS picks which features and UI elements get put into Windows

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by bphlpt, Jul 18, 2015.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I saw this the other day and realized that this must indeed be how MS picks which features and UI elements get put into the next versions of Windows.

"You'd think I'd be able to find my way around a phone, having led an IT company for a few years. It doesn't work that way. An airplane has computer code in it, that doesn't mean I know how to land it. Eventually I can always find what I need, I just overthink it. It's like Windows; everyone knows how that works after a few years of day to day use, right? Then Microsoft gives laptops with the latest Windows version to a bunch of chimps. Severely demented chimps with anger issues, would be my guess. The chimps have no idea what to do with a laptop, so they shit in their hands and hurl it at the screen. Wherever the most amount of shit ends up, determines how the next version of Windows will work. So whenever there is a new version, I am completely lost. Because unlike chimps and people with degenerative brain diseases, I retain information from day to day and year to year. I do not boot up my computer and, like an imbecile, use improvisational dance to imagine where a fucking BUTTON MIGHT BE TODAY. I want my button where it was YESTERDAY. Burn in hell, Microsoft. Burn forever more."

2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Or, you could look at Joe Belfiore's presentations of Win 10 and realize you may not be truly as smart as you thought you were :) That having been said, I donnot believe Microsoft should make it its job to challenge people (trained by the use of their previous products) to the extent that they have. My father told me the other day he was using Windows 8.1. All I know, is if he can do it, then truly anyone can :D Anyway, the above reaction is really the typical reaction to Win8, back when it came out. If people are still having such experiences today, then how tech savvy could they be in the first place, not to have tried Win8 or 10 by now and have become a little proficient at it?

Seems that latest build that supposedly is RTM is kind of rough. And yes, UI still sucks.

3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Look the UI is so customizable and the fact you can continue to use ANY Windows version, means that if you don't like things changing you don't have to change.

I too am majorly pissed off that forget Wireless Network is 4 levels deep to do now, it used to be right there on the connection status. they also moved This PC's Class ID so our tweaks will need to be redone for Win 10, Control Panel is meant to still be in there but it keeps forwarding you to modern app/settings so it's as useless as using the modern interface (which offers search at least), but as it is said to be the very last version of windows I think it would be worth learning it if you intend to use a PC everyday, the fact a chimp can control it now just means more people will be using it everyday, meaning they can charge less for apps/games/hardware and support.

The future isn't negative and only by being open to change can things improve (else they'll always stay the same) - now on the hardware front - with Intel releasing chips with smaller transistors but run the same speed, with the same amount of cores, just because it costs them less, it's getting beyond a joke now 4 years later and still no PC's over 5ghz are affordable - we've not moved to a 128 bit chip and the common PC doesn't have any extra sensors etc yet - with this Microsoft Hello we'll be getting a 3D camera with Depth sensing, but at the end of the day that'll be a gimmick too - in fact the only hardware that is exciting is the Hololens and that is mostly for gamers and industries that could use a virtual world instead of needing more than one physical room they can share the one VR with many users and put them all in there at once.

Windows 10 has NOTHING that I've not seen before on Linux or Mac or as a 3rd Party addon to Windows 7 & 8, but what it does have is built in support for future devices and better security than ever before (for windows anyway). MS's goal was to fix the crap people were complaining about in Windows 8, they have done that and I am grateful that they are listening to us again.

4. Trouba

Why not just admit the UI sucks? Seems much easier and truthful than to deride the sensibilities of reasonable people (trained by MS to expect better, mind you).

Really? I hadn't noticed. Well, we do have a RT start menu now, which really is about the opposite of listening to people.

If so, I'm not sure that is to Win10's credit. I think it's like Vista and Win7; people are just relieved to an extent that Win10 is what Win8 was supposed to be.

Still, I don't really believe the quote is about Win10, it sounds more like an old comment about Win8 (or someone who just managed to try Win8 after years of it being out).

5. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

It is from a short story, but I thought it was funny and that it echoed the way a lot of folks have felt about MS over the last several years, including me. :)

6. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

The UI sucks, what kind of brain dead idiots need step by step to do a task that should be a single option on a list of at least a few options - now it seems to be 2 options per page. They totally ignored the request for tabbed explorer and the start menu if very boring and hard to do things that should be simple, Multi desktops seems unimportant for most people as they have trouble using one desktop.

Without Windows 10 the future would be Mac overtaking the mainstream OS due to people wanting features working properly between your phone/tablets and laptop/PC's, things would get closed sourced and customization would be difficult - as for productivity, either OS can get stuff done - especially in a browser. I expect Win 10 to combine any hardware you use to be uniform, which is a better design that the multi approach done by other fruit and robot companies.

Trouba likes this.
  7. Trouba

Yeah, the functionality across devices is going to be Win10's strength. That is really what they were trying to do from Vista/7 on, until they got stuck in the quagmire of the Vista debacle, and Apple saw the opening and stepped right in (with great ideas of course). Makes you wonder what would have happened if the hardware was at the level it is now back in 2006/7, what MS would have done then. Instead of pushing hardware (like Apple did to an extent) and making use of what was there (through iOS), it seems MS waited until hardware caught up with what they wanted to do (namely, run full Windows on even tablets, something Gates said many years ago, before the iPhone came out). Which really makes you wonder why they then still came out with Win RT and all that. I do think the hardware situation is finally at the stage that MS wanted for their touch devices, so it'll be an interesting time for Windows devices. It did cost MS untold billions to get into this so late, although for the end user it may have ended up being a blessing because who knows what FrankenOS's MS would have come out with (even worse than RT) had they gotten into the game early.

Glenn likes this.