I did a test on a Dell Laptop and the results are here

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Glenn, May 1, 2023.

1. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I am going to do a test on a Dell Laptop tomorrow and the results to follow.

I have it currently installed with a HDD and a non compressed OS. My plan is to clone it to a SSD and boot it off both the HDD then the SSD and see what the boot times and load times are for a few things. I'll also check the copying from self and copying from USB 3 to them. I am curious how much time all the variables will add and thought you guys would also like to know what a difference it can make really. Both compacted and how much a SSD saves time on a Core Duo era laptop. Just enough to run browser/Youtube etc and a few light games. But the counting I did on it's boot originally was over 96 seconds before it was at the desktop with low HDD usage (ready to go). Nobody has time to wait for a device anymore, so if the difference is enough. is it worth spending $20 - $80 on a 64-500GB SSD for them... Let us see :)

Trouba likes this.
  2. Glenn

Last11 V2, with Dot.Net 3.5 enabled
    HDD:
    Uncompressed, Original OS - 1:08 Boot Speed
    4gb copy from USB to HDD - 1:43 Copy Time
    4gb copy from HDD to HDD - 1:34 Copy Time
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Uncompressed - Load Speed (1st run) - 52 Seconds
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Uncompressed - Load Speed (2nd run) - 2.87 seconds
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Compressed - Load Speed (1st run) - 19 Seconds
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Compressed - Load Speed (2nd run) - 1.93 Seconds
    Compressed, Original OS - 0:59 Boot Speed

SSD:
    Uncompressed, Original OS - 0:22 Boot Speed
    4gb copy from USB to HDD - 1:42 Copy Time
    4gb copy from HDD to HDD - 0:17 Copy Time
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Uncompressed - Load Speed (1st run) - 14 Seconds
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Uncompressed - Load Speed (2nd run) - 1.8 seconds
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Compressed - Load Speed (1st run) - 13 Seconds
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Compressed - Load Speed (2nd run) - 1.8 Seconds
    Compressed, Original OS - 0:22 Boot Speed

SSD: 26.4GB Disk Space Used Uncompressed -> 18.4GB Compressed

LastOS_Lite11 (Last11 v3):
    HDD:
    Compressed, Lite OS - 0:45 Boot Speed
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Compressed - Load Speed (1st run) - 13 Seconds

SSD:
    Compressed, Lite OS - 0:16 Boot Speed
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Compressed - Load Speed (1st run) - 11 Seconds
    LibreOffice Writer Portable Uncompressed - Load Speed (2nd run) - 1.6 seconds

chevy350, bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  3. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

The interesting things I got from the above table were:

USB speed limitations wipe out any differences in HDD vs SDD as far as USB transfers are concerned.
    Compressed vs Uncompressed makes a significant improvement in App load times, but really only in the initial load. Subsequent loads, while still better, probably are not going to be that noticeable.
    Compressed vs Uncompressed also doesn't make a significant improvement in OS load times, especially with SSD.
    So biggest reason for using compression is space saving, and since I didn't see ANY detriment to using compression speed-wise (surprising to me), then it makes sense, unless there are other factors to consider.
    App load time improvements, SSD vs HDD, are also mainly in initial load times. Subsequent loads might or might not be noticeable, probably because of what data is still being in cache.
    SSD speed improvements are most noticeable in OS and initial App loads, SSD to SSD transfers, and I would assume other activities during App execution that are restricted to SSD and memory.

Overall, interesting info. Thanks, Glenn.

Trouba likes this.
  4. Glenn

I will do the last test tomorrow, which is Last11 V3 on a HDD, to get it's boot speed. Will need to clone the HDD and put it back in the laptop.

5. bphlpt

What OS were the first results for? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

6. Glenn

It was a Last11 V2, with Dot.Net 3.5 enabled. I found that having it makes it all slower, bigger and use more memory.

7. bphlpt

From your data, Last11V3 is faster for all measurments than Last11 V2.