Install from PE multiple install.esd or .wim file/s located in sources folder ...

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ghost, May 6, 2024.

1. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

... as I just tried this and for me it works. Has anyone tried it yet ?

@Trouba - see the image I am using for testing hehe

Untitled.png

I had to add back the root setup.exe to have it to work, then I had to have only 1 Autounattended.xml file at root with no product key , but the quick test for me is this is for me from a live PE.

There is errors in the MS documentation for a few things I found over the last few months for 10 to 11 with DISM , so this raised a question to me, did they do it to the setup.exe also, yes they did.

So my test in the PE was to edit the shortcut to the path to the image with this
    Y:\setup.exe /installfrom:Y:\sources\install1.esd
    NOTE only 1 Autounattended.xml file can be used ( in root of ISO/USB ) for this multi image .esd/.wim as seen above ( this is preliminary testing only for now, I may find using the /unattend argument may work to the .xml file, can only try ).

The only issue I see so far is creating the true shortcuts to the image in PE as for Install Australia and Install USA would only be 1 shortcut to each image, rather it was Win7SP1.esd, Win10IoT.esd, Win11Pro.esd, Win11IoT.esd they all would get a shortcut to install any of those .esd files from sources.

Any way to edit the shortcuts to do this in a test for myself, I have no idea where the shrotcuts are created from, a .cmd or autoit.exe etc..

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Trouba likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

Well this works for adding a .xml file

Y:\setup.exe /installfrom:Y:\sources\install1.wim /unattend:Y:\My.xml <- WORKS! I will be back in a bit on this, LIVE test coming up ....

3. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

What is GPT ?

4. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

A type of AI, isn't it?

5. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

No I just got blocked from installing from a build test I was doing, but yes you are correct LOL! :p

6. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

You can format for MBR instead of GPT (also with Rufus etc)

Ghost likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

It was the install that wanted GPT drives in my live box, luckily I had my go to USB drive and rebooted and installed, I will do it again and get a actual photo of it ( If it happens )

8. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

Problem solved, It was the way the USB stick was formatted :ROFLMAO:

9. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Yes, that's typically my problem as well. Many times, I'll format the same ISO onto two USB's. They're identical except in color -- a green one for GPT and Blue for MBR. ;)

Ghost likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

Another find is that if using a PE and using 1.esd,2.esd,3.esd these images can be in another folder , check image for more details .. and the cmd line is like this in the PE
    Y:\setup.exe /installfrom:Y:\wimfiles\Last11Prov4.esd /unattend:Y:\Autounattend.xml

This is for a clean install from PE only route which is what I do 99.99 % of the time.

This works, all I need to do is make a autoit .exe to load the images and the .xml files as a single line of code ( this is the choice of what OS and what .xml file will be ran ) so that it is a pick your OS and .xml file is a snap, so 1 image would have 3 images inside it, if you updated 1 image you would have more steps to go through, instead you have 3 images and only need to copy in 1 image into the source folder. I just installed the Last11Prov4.esd in a VM with no issues at all from PE.

Untitled.png

Last edited: May 7, 2024
  11. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I modified the ssTek AutoIt code to generate shortcuts, I'll share the method:

it also scans \ssTek for them as well as the root of the USB/ISO

Autounattend_sources-x64_Install-Last11-LTSC-x64_USA.xml
    Autounattend_sources-x64_Install-Last10-LTSC-x64_Australia.xml
    Autounattend_sources-x64_Install-Last10-LTSC-x64_USA.xml
    Autounattend_sources-x64_Install-Last11-LTSC-x64_Australia.xml

Autounattend_sources-x86_Install-Last10-x86_USA.xml
    Autounattend_sources-x64_Install-Last10-x64_Australia.xml
    Autounattend_sources-x64_Install-Last10-x64_USA.xml
    Autounattend_sources-x64_Install-Last11-x64_Australia.xml
    Autounattend_sources-x64_Install-Last11-x64_USA.xml
    Autounattend_sources-x86_Install-Last10-x86_Australia.xml

If in the root it will use the root path, but if in ssTek it uses that path first:

Needs Autounattend_[Sub Folder]_[ESD/WIM Name]_[Country].xml

it will scan through them all and make desktop shortcuts for each and makes the /installfrom automatically.

Just extract to the ppAppsLive\zzMakeShortcutsPE\ folder and it'll use existing ssTek auto start to do things.

I think I also included a country Selector that counts down from 10.

Attached Files:

Ghost and The Freezer like this.
  12. Glenn

I really am not sure why I make public releases when my own team is re-doing work I shared last year :(, I guess I should update pacav's builder git repo, but I just didn't want to spend days doing it for nobody to use it again, over the years I've released 5 builders, my fav being ssOSModder, but only me and Cod3 used that one.

I have shared my 2024 older builder with Trouba, but forgot where we discussed it, if I need to do one last public release of my Builder folder (without sources), I can, just let me know.

It is good to see Trouba still using many of the methods I've discovered this year, especially the PE mp3 player, the MRT disabled and generally integrates his refinements on top of my time spent.

One last LTSC release from me when win 11 LTSC goes final/stable as the RTM is buggy and I'd not install it on anyone's computer yet, so I am sticking with Win 10 IOT LTSC for most people at the moment, my own machine is 11 LTSC and man the amount of issues I'm getting is worse than any OS since Win ME was for me.

Trouba likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

I read everything and added this to the PE and it says 'No Files Found.' with a exit or close and then I looked at the .au3 file and found it was looking for
    'LastOS_AIO.txt' and that is not on any of the .iso files I have which is all LastOS .iso images, so I put a text file in root and it stopped the 'No Files Found.' but there is nothing after, no error or shortcuts except for ssWPI ( Apps ) shortcut that works.

I am using the Last11_v4_x64.ISO to do testing in, all the PE's are great, I need a base to work in to add a .exe to just do the list of images in a folder ( rather root\wimfiles\win10IoT.wim, win11Prov4.esd , OR use root\sources\win10IoT.wim, win11Prov4.esd

The same with the .xml files, everything in a LastOS release can stay like they are today, nothing has to move, be edited , deleted or anything, just add 1 new WindowsInstaller.exe and that will be the windows installer GUI from PE, once it is created it is a standalone just like Settings, ssWPI, etc , add it to your build or leave it out, it will not hurt any build process you do. I will try to get a standalone up in a .au3, but it will probably be in real software as I do not know anything about autoit or xojo , all I know is REALStudio_v2012.r2.1_ppApp

14. Glenn

Yeah I am not sure either anymore, all my work is tested and released as complete with source code, but I don't document enough, never have. So best you come up with code/scripts that suit your needs so you have a better chance of knowing how they work and how to fix any issues in the future, as I am at the stage mentally (after having covid) that I find code I've written myself, or replies to forums etc, some that I had spent months working on, only to not even recognize it was me who posted it. So I guess after all I've been through in the last 3 years, I am just the shell of my old self, probably best I keep forgetting my past and technology stuff, none of it will have any more value very soon - I guess I now understand why my dad gave up coding 15 or so years ago... He can still remember all the peek and poke address to make the c64 do amazing things... but none of it has any value now either.

I am starting to see how life works, obviously any kind of rock legend will burn out at a young age - not that I consider myself a computer rock legend, but I did give it all I had, it was my life. I mean not a lot of people bothered to figure out .inf files etc, but the LastXP days, that ability to integrate into the installer were critical to LastXP being a step above all other mods (IMO), that level of time given to a passion will only ever end in the realization, none of it was important, but man it was fun :) I really don't know what I have left to give the world anymore, but I am sorry I cost many of you more time with all this OS modding stuff, I mean the only reason I started this journey was to save time installing XP SP2 then SP3 as it used to take AGES - like 40 minutes.... but at least it was only once every year or so... not every month like Win 10 Pro... Anyway I am having a big clean out of my PC currently (done my bookmarks yesterday), I'll upload some of the non public stuff and you guys can see if there is anything of value in there, it's time for me to simplify my life/pc so I can make do with what little mental ability I have left - maybe I can even recover enough to make something worth while again, but there is no way to know. I can feel my focus slipping away - the fact I only sleep 4 - 5 hours a night is probably the cause, but nothing helps, I've gave up trying to find solutions and just accept this is me now.

bphlpt, Trouba and Ghost like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

I do not know what to say. 40 inch 1080P tv , Steve

Attached Files:

16. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

Well after all this time of thinking that there could be a way to install .wim/.esd files from a single looking .ISO or USB drive it is a working concept, this is what I got, .. and it works perfectly, I will stop for now, as I have to document the issues and the details to have some kind of what you can do, And what NOT to do scenario.

Source is attached: Note:- I used 'REALStudio_v2012.r2.1_ppApp' to create this garbage, If anything someone will get a kick out of this LOL.

And just think, I started with a idea and this was the .cmd I used and it worked in a LIVE PE -

Y:\setup.exe /installfrom:Y:\sources\Last11Prov4.esd /unattend:Y:\Autounattend.xml
    pause

Attached Files: