LastOS AIO (WIP)

Discussion in 'LastOS News' started by Glenn, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Medicat is awesome as it can handle UEFI and BIOS boot modes, which is incredible to have that ability, I am removing all the excess tools as many of them are available from the LivePE, so no need to include duplicate ways when it only takes 1 way to work.

It does have a huge amount of apps to discover as I am not even sure what over 3/4 of them even are or can do.

bphlpt likes this.
  2. Glenn

It might be worth making an empty Base maker to include with LastOS's ISO, then you could in theory add what you want without needing to download a 21GB file. Like I said the biggest thing is that you can boot a UEFI or BIOS and like you said with the ventoy tools you can just add ISO's and boot them... that is the benefit - plus it's pretty. I'd have to make it so my LastOS apps and tools live on the HDD and outside the ISO, so with this change it may get me away from the AIO ISO (who even uses DVD's anymore?) so by making a script and coming up with a method to add to an existing LastOS USB AIO, I am sure it can replace the clunky old ways I've stuck to since Windows 8 bought about the LivePE methods. So I'll need to rethink how I do all of it and see if I can make use of all this.

3. Steve Hedges

Steve Hedges belveder

I've been using Bob.Omb's Modified Win10PEx64 which is great

4. Glenn

https://www.fcportables.com/modified-win10pe/

Will give it a look too, thanks.

-EDIT-

I had a look and I really can't see what this offers that I wasn't able to do in LastOS's SavePE, Yeah I might have a lot less tools included by default, but I have partition, backup, install, unlockers, reset keys, Account recovery, data recovery, a browser, boot repair... I just don't get why people want 1001 tools when you can get by with 20... If there is use cases I do not do myself then yeah, I am open to include these tools in SavePE's, but the underlying Win 10 PE can do everything these others can.

Please if you know the reason why you reached to use others tools over LastOS's ones, let me know so I can get it back to being the AIO solution others will want to use.

pacav69 likes this.
  5. Glenn

I don't make money from LastOS, so I am only wanting to know to increase my understanding and to make it better for more people. To be honest I get overwhelmed by going into a PE that has hundreds of tools, I really don't want choices, I just want one good tool that always works. All the tools I include have proven to me for over 10 years that they work and do what I need, so I don't really change things up just to be "New", I adopted the AIO and KISS approach back when I first made XP have a PE, when Soporific helped make the early decisions that I have kept. LastOS's are built on every time, I feel the only reason to start fresh is if something no longer offers time savings, that is why I am interested in having my OS mod boot on UEFI or BIOS, that means one USB key with he OS, instead of having a dedicated GPT formatted USB key and a MBR one, as many Surface PC's will not boot without GPT, I've not confirmed that this even works for that yet, but it does work on my laptops in either mode, so that is still better than picking one or the other.

Pretty much, if I don't get any interaction from anyone regarding progressing of LastOS, it will no longer be something I spend my time on. I only do what I do so I can join in with others who are interested in these types of things. But as it stands, I've lost almost all communication from any members, except for the Team. I no longer am able to release publicly at TeamOS as some of their team are more focused on petty rules than seeing the value in what is posted. So I am just at the age where I'd rather move on than spend time on things that don't bring me satisfaction or accomplishment. Honestly if Last11 23H2 doesn't get the public interest, I'll just close all my future releases to Team members and class my efforts in OS modding as no longer needed by anyone else.

6. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

I am glad I could make a contribution to this project. My point about the MediCat usb media is that you do not have to recreate the wheel. I have just downloaded the 21gb file, extracted the files from the ISO, deleted what I didn't want, and the zipped it back into a file overwriting the original.

When you run the bat file after that, it builds the bootable media, and then extracts only what is in the zip file - it doesn't download everything all over if that zip file is there. I have significantly lessened my zip file size. Basically I am using their boot system with LastOS as the contents of the OSMedia folder and some unmodded OS ISOs. I have also taught myself to ignore apps that I won't use such as those Glenn described. If the menu is empty (after deleting the apps from the Zip file), you just go "Okay, nothing there, time to check something else" mode.

I hope Glenn can either reverse engineer this method or somehow strip everything out that isn't needed or duplicated so we have a better mousetrap in the future. My Medicat ISO just has a couple of "emergency use" apps, and the OSImage folder contains LastOS and untouched ISOs.

7. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

@zdevilinside, as @Glenn mentioned
    does MediCat have an obvious place to do that so a single USB drive can handle repair, OS install, and app install needs without needing to be connected to the internet?

8. zdevilinside

I have taken a 256GB USB drive, installed Medicat on it, and copied all the LastOS and unmodded Windows ISOs into a folder named "OSMedia" folder. Everything on the USB drive is already downloaded and ready to go. I will create another USB drive with it in a few minutes and do screenshots of the file structure.

9. zdevilinside

I just decided to just do pretty much a screenshot by screenshot post about the tool. It will show what you see as you run the install.bat file and then the resulting file structure. You will be able to see the utility of this tool quite quickly once you look at the file structure.

EDIT: Why recreate the wheel? This video shows what it can do.

I just add the LastOS ISOs as the OSMedia and then deleted out the portable apps, etc that I won't use or is already duplicated with the LastOS ISOs. I created a folder inside the OSMedia folder for LastOS Repository files and the latest SetupS. I am too lazy to mess around with updating the LastOS ISO. I also have created folders for LastOS ISOs and untouched Windows ISOs in Spanish and English. Now I have a Swiss Army Knife USB drive that will work for all my needs.

The only time the utility needs to be connected to the Internet is if it doesn't see a 7Zip archive when you run the MediCat_Installer.bat file. If it doesn't see the "MediCat.USB.v21.12.7z" file, it will download it. If it is already in the folder, it will just extract the .7z file.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    bphlpt likes this.
  10. zdevilinside

Dang, I am a moron. After creating the USB media, go into the root of the USB drive and double click on start.exe and you can get a full list of what is on the drive in a simple to view menu.

bphlpt likes this.
  11. Glenn

Yeah start.exe is from portableapps.com collection. It makes a menu in the system tray

12. Glenn

I've got it down from 21GB to 50MB, I also removed the online updater so that I can fork it, now it currently generates a LastUSB stick instead :)

zdevilinside, unitop4 and pacav69 like this.
  13. zdevilinside

After seeing this, I am REALLY glad I mentioned this. When will you be putting that up for us to try it?

14. Glenn

https://www.lastos.org/team/glenns/LastUSB/LastUSB-v1000-Empty.7z

This one is 100mb as it includes a few example apps included out of the Medicat, but I've killed the cat and only left in the Ventoy updater portion of this, it should continue to work, but it's perfect for quickly building a base bootable USB, then just copy in LastOS's and pick them to boot (if you want other OS's or LivePE etc, just add them back in).

I am still considering updating the script to build either a basic USB or a ventoy USB and making it when you pick MakeUSB from the autorun menu you have the choices to make.

15. zdevilinside

I am glad that you made this. I am working on building a bunch of USB drives for a project and this will help a lot.

16. Glenn

Ok I managed to make the MakeUSB script I used to use ask if you want to use Ventoy instead, so now you have the option when picking "Create USB OS Install" from the Menu, I'll be waiting for 23H2 before I release the completed mod, but it'll give me time to test everything works safely before the public use it.

I doubt I'll ever use Standard BCD booting anymore, unless I have a PC that demands it, also the Ventoy install allows you to update it without needing to format anything, so you'll be able to easily keep using any USB you setup with it without ever having to start fresh.

17. Glenn

I've managed to update the script so that it will copy the DVD/USB content to the destination USB after Ventoy (Medicat) has occurred, I also made a symlink to the boot.wim and bootmin.wim, meaning I do not need to duplicate the \sources\boot.wim in the Root folder, instead I used mklink to make a symlink to it with the new name "SavePE_Install_LastOS.wim" and I've tested this works with Ventoy already, so a bonus being able to leave the ability to build a BCD bootable OS from the Ventoy one (well if anyone ever wanted to do such things).

So the goal here is that you can boot from boot.wim and SavePE works as it's always worked, no need to mount a ISO once Windows is installed to access the apps etc, $OEM and all the LastOS Post Logon stuff is ran from the USB and not from the ISO, it does mean I'd need to add some OS checks or point to different $OEM paths if you wanted to include Last7 8 10 on with Last11/USB as it will currently use the one you build the USB with (meaning Windows 11), that said, you can still mount a ISO in the SavePE, use WinNTSetup to extract it including the $OEM folder found on the mounted ISO, then once windows is installed, mount the ISO in there, run the \sources\$Scripts\FirstLogon.cmd, this should make the installed OS run settings, tweaks etc, you can then open the Menu/AllMenu and pick to install apps from ssWPI if you need.

Overall there is other work arounds we could do, but my goal was to allow booting from UEFI or CSM/BIOS from the one USB and this will do that, so even if you only use Ventoy for this it's worth while as you'll not need 2 USB's for different secure boot methods. I just don't think enough people would use this kind of AIO for me to spend the time making it work like that, so the solution above about mounting the ISO you booted from Ventoy once the LastOS's have installed you manually apply the post logon tweaks and use ssWPI to do the rest.

zdevilinside, bphlpt and pacav69 like this.
  18. Glenn

Just a note that the LastUSB tool doesn't always work to format non GPT and non Secureboot USB creation on some USB sticks, it does make the ventoy hidden partition, but for whatever reason it's unable to lock the drive to format the leftover space to a drive letter, meaning you have to unplug it, and use a partition tool to format the drive and give it a letter (I use MiniTools Partition Wizard), you can then re-run the script and pick "Do Not Format", it'll work the 2nd time. I am not sure if it's because it was a cheap Lexor stick or because I used MBR instead of GPT - Anyway, I am making one of each just until I confirm that really old PC's can boot from the GPT one - which I don't think they can, will be a while before I get to try it though so I'd rather have a MBR one in my pocket just in case.

I am not sure when I'll get access to Windows 11 Pro 23H2 without the watermarked desktop, but once I do I'll upload it as Last11 v6 and it'll include the Ventoy methods, as I have said I may need to remake the tools to use a custom $MyOEM folder again so I can run the correct scripts if you make a AIO solution, just so you don't have to run the FirstLogon.cmd manually etc. It does mean you wont be able to just include the older LastOS ISO's as they wont detect that it was installed from a mounted ISO, I plan on making a new Windows 10 and will aim to make a x86 and x64 one as Ventoy works on both Arch to boot from and you can pick a x86 PE to install the x86 wim/windows.

19. zdevilinside

Glenn, did I ever tell you that you are amazing? You are! Thanks for all the hard work on this project. I am glad I got you to check out that tool. Oh, and the media I have worked on an old Optiplex 980 I have. I think that system was built in 2010 or so. I am using really good USB drives though.

20. Glenn

Was a lot of work, but I finally have a SavePE x86 and a win 10 x86 to include.

My next public release will have

Win 11 23h2 pro

Win 10 22h2 pro x86 and x64

SavePE x86 and x64

Bootmin.wim x86 and x64

I still need to add rocketdock to boot min, but it will allow installing any windows supported by the PE.

I have no intention of working on unsupported OS's so it will only be 10 and 11 in my AIO, but really if you can run 7 or 8, you can run 10 and mostly 11.

21. zdevilinside

I am looking forward to the new release! Will you be including the Ventoy-based builder so we can do GPT/CMOS boot?

22. Glenn

Yes, I have updated the MakeUSB.cmd to offer ventoy or the old methods I've used since win 7 - with hp format. It's only slightly changed from v1000 I released above, as it worked, they did a great job with their script, I didn't even know you could use mouse clicks in a .CMD file.

23. bphlpt

@Glenn, While I understand and respect your choice to provide Windows 10 Pro x86 and x64 options for your users (Win 10 Pro will indeed meet the needs of the majority of users), I still like the idea of LTSC, both for the longer time between updates, and for the longer extended support life. Windows 10 LTSC 21H2 has a 5 year support life, and Windows 10 IoT LTSC 21H2 has a 10 year support life until 2032. IF such a release could be updated to 22H2 or later, and have the necessary packages installed to allow things like Windows Mixed Reality and whatever else is necessary for the latest games to work reliably and correctly (I've seen mixed reports that this can be done), that would seem to be the ideal Win 10 install, IMO. When the Win 11 LTSC options become available, eventually, in another year or so, I think the same arguments would again apply. In the meantime, since I am not a gamer, I have been very happy with @Trouba's latest LTSC release. I would hope that your AIO will be able to add the LTSC options.

24. Glenn

Yes, you can add any ISO to the USB drive and it'll let you pick them to install.

As for me making a LTSC version, I'll do Win 11 LTSC most likely, but I am undecided on Windows 10 as the Pro version works for more people and I really don't want too much choice or the size of the downloads and USB required would be a lot. So if I do make them I'll do them as separate ISO's, I am still debating how I provide all the versions so far, I am thinking of using ISO's that you pick from the boot menu and it'll mount the ISO in the PE and post install. I'll have to do a proof of concept of the idea, but it would make it so you'll have all the OEM folder and scripts per release and all the apps will just be on the USB not inside the ISO's. I found that using AutoUnattend.xml I am able to place a registry key that I can detect in the installed OS, so I may just be able to have two options in the boot menu (Save_PE_x86 and SavePE_x64) and you can install any OS (10 or 11, Pro or LTSC) from there and it'll still know which OS you put on there:

Code:
    <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>8</Order>
                        <Description>Set OS Installed</Description>
                        <Path>reg add &quot;HKLM\SOFTWARE\ssTek&quot; /v &quot;OSInstalled&quot; /t REG_SZ /d Last11_x64 /f</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand> 
    As you can see, it's a very easy thing to add/detect, so in theory I am even able to keep the install.esd/wim out side of the ISO's and just work with the USB disk, this would make it a lot easier to update things as you'd not need to mount ISO's all the time etc.

I am currently using UDP to build very lite OS's and once I am done with that I'll attempt to break out the need for using ISO's for LastOS, in fact I can probably even include the files I need to run post install inside the install.esd so the user can remove the USB and it'll still complete setup without errors/requesting the user to put the USB back in like it currently does. While I am at it I could make new users you create call the same PostLogon scripts, meaning that I don't have to automate it at all, it'll happen automatically even when a user is made from AutoUnattend.xml.

I knew that Ventoy was going to open up a heap of new methods and ideas, but picking the best one is taking some thought.

-EDIT-

As a side note, making the install.wim not esd compressed would make it even more updatable and only a few hundred meg bigger. so I am considering that too.

bphlpt likes this.
  25. bphlpt

@Glenn I love the changes you are making to be able to keep the all the apps on the USB not inside the ISOs. It's an approach we have always championed to be able to minimize the size of the ISOs and make updating your install material easier. You are maintaining all the advantages that Ventoy provides; being able to just add more existing ISOs as desired, handle x86 and x64 installs, deal with MBR and UEFI GPT requirements, etc. But you are also adding new methods for LastOS releases as well. Very well done! :)

And being able to either have a stripped down version, or a version as kitted out with whatever Medicat type tools as desired is yet another plus!