LastOS Tips

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by pacav69, Jan 30, 2023.

1. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

Hi All,

I've started a GitHub repo that has the beginning of some tips that i have come across that i think is useful with more to come and if people want to contribute they can follow the instructions in the contributing document or raise an issue.

In the readme.md document I have listed the tools that i have used and added links to where you can download them.

This has the potential to growing big quickly if people contribute.

found here

reference here

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    bphlpt, Trouba and chevy350 like this.
  2. pacav69

there has been over 100 views to this post yet no contributions?

added some links to other free software

3. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake, pacav.
    1) I'm still on Win 7, so I don't have any contributions re Win11
    2) I just don't understand what Obsidian is and what it can do for me. I haven't installed it to check it out, because I want to have a little understanding about it before I do. I didn't really see any examples or descriptions on it's site, just encouragements to install it and check it out. That's just not the way I choose to do things. Any help?
    3) The only tools I saw listed are github, Obsidian, and Visual Studio [the current versions will not install on Windows 7]

pacav69 likes this.
  4. pacav69

it is a LastOS Tips for windows nothing more, i have not specified win 11 or 10 or 7 but if you have any tips on a specific windows version then i will create a windows 7, 10/11 only pages.

Obsidian is a markdown (MD) editor that will run on mac, windows and linux found here you can use any markdown editor to type and view MD files. Here are some
    you tube videos to get a better understanding. GOOGLE search

GitHub desktop is a tool that can be used to monitor any changes to files and upload to a GitHub repo if you prefer you can use GIT.

Visual Studio Code (VSC) is a free editor that i used that i thought was useful as it can edit code and text files and upload to a GitHub repo when file changes are detected.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  5. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I've spent approx 1 hour on my PC doing things other than watching youtube this year. So I haven't spent the time to work on anything at all, pretty sure Trouba isn't working on much himself either (not publicly at least). The old "if you build it they will come" only applies to Waynes world. there is no naked Indian to encourage us to do so :)

I make whole OS mods and don't get a scrap of feedback from ANYONE on any sites it is shared on, so don't feel bad if things don't go the way you want. people just don't care anymore, so the cost of life spent developing things for others to learn from isn't really worth pursuing anymore IMO. if your not doing it for yourself then you may just waste your time. I am sorry it's come to this, but since 2018 I've not got ANY feedback for any of my major projects except when I was working with Trouba on things, so it's not really something I personally am willing to commit my time to anymore.

I'll share what I do spend my time on, just I really don't use PC's much at the moment, especially as School only started back Wednesday and I've been doing renovations every day since that, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I am just sharing my reasons and experience and don't want you to feel I am saying anything about your idea is a bad one, because it is a really good idea. Investing time into learning new tools is something you start to lose as you get older as you have seen so many things come and go and only a fraction of what you learned is useful in newer tools. So it's a hard thing to get excited about things you aren't passionate about.

On top of this my mind has been like Swiss cheese, with my memory going. I think running processes in your head and holding on to information about a topic to solve problems really does burn out your mental CPU too as I've not recovered from breaking away from my 16 hours a day using PC's.

pacav69 likes this.
  6. pacav69

Yes i know what you mean @Glenn in the past i was working 14 hour days and when i got home i was totally knackered with little or no energy to do anything other then sleep. Yes i know it is difficult to stir people up and get some feedback but there will be a day when i won't be around so at least i have parted with some knowledge and my information will not be in vain.

Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  7. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Yes I agree that we should document our findings so others are not wasting time working out the same solutions we've already found. I just hate the fact that things like Tiny 11 get way more attention than anything I've ever done and I can guarantee that he spent less than a few weeks making that up for a public release and used other peoples tools to do so. Anyway I am hopeful that one day soon, Linux will get it's rightful place as the leading OS for home users too and Windows will just be something you use at work and school to do the basic tasks they require. As my hope is for web based interfaces to take the lead and instead of a few hundred good distro's you'll have a custom interface that follows you on any device you use with access over the cloud to your own files, either stored on your own local/home storage server or a hosted storage.

Closed sourced software is pretty short sighted and in the end, greed will not win. Although it does make rapid progress when people can live off the work they are passionate about, so maybe while the capitalist system is in place we have to expect this sort of attitude and acceptance of things we don't agree with. I just hope for a better future and I really don't see it in Windows anymore.

pacav69 and Trouba like this.