libreoffice-5-the-best-office-suite-today-wont-cost-you-a-dime/

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by pacav69, Aug 6, 2015.

1. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

It really isn't the best, but it is the cheapest :) Yesterday I tested v5.0.0.5 and Writer mangled various elements in a 400 page .rtf file I saved with Atlantis Word Processor (it made bulletin numbers into a different font, put one of the footnotes that were not put into footers into footers, which mangled a page break, etc.). I then checked the .rtf in Word 2007 and it was displayed correctly. I then checked it in SoftMaker TextMaker and it was also displayed correctly.

That whole argument that price goes toward quality is, of course, not a valid one. If you always stay with one program and it's moderately good, you can pretty much rely on that program to render your documents correctly, but that is not the measuring stick you can employ where it comes to office programs where inter-compatibility is important or even essential. With .docx LibreOffice can use the excuse that MS did not provide apt documentation to construct good .docx conversion filters, but with .rtf they cannot use that excuse because it has been around forever and was designed to render correctly across platforms.

Glenn likes this.