Making a Live boot OS

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Sshadow, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

My son(he's 9) has always been fascinated by tech in general and specifically different OS's. Recently he has become interested in live boot OS's. Especially a few of the LastOS releases that we have played with. I thought it might be fun for us to try to make our own especially since he is so interested in older OS's like Vista. Are there any resources out there we can check out to get our feet wet in creating one? I thought I would ask here since some of you appear to have experience in this :) I have checked out the tools here but if I am not mistaken they all pertain to installing software after the actual installation? Anyway I appreciate any input you may have :)

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

The tool is winbuilder and it's very easy to use, bit harder to code for, but not too bad really.

http://reboot.pro/forum/22-winbuilder/

http://theoven.org/

This will make the best LivePE for Windows XP through 10, I recommend the Windows 8.1 boot source as best, it has USB 3 built in and doesn't have the limitations of old hardware like Windows 10 has. There isn't a AIO solution tho, sometimes you need to boot to XP PE's and others Win 8.

Sshadow and The Freezer like this.
  3. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

Thank you for the information!

4. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

I recently downloaded Win8.1SE from TheOven.org and opened up the included Winbuilder to check things out. Is this how you guys start the process? I have unmodified copies to work with as the source as well. I just want to make sure I am on the right track.

PS. Anyone know what happened to theoven.org? I have been getting a 503 error for a while now.

Thanks!

5. Glenn

Hopefully they are fixing the fact I couldn't sign up, log in or post using my existing cookies, accounts or fresh User, else maybe it'll die :(

6. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

I hope they fix it as well. Any comment on the first part of my post?

7. Glenn

Sorry mate, I am making an entire builder from scratch, that'll be public and I'll also do a movie of me using it - it includes the whole WinBuilder process, so you'll be able to see exactly what I personally do.

All this is a week or two away now tho, lots going on in life.

Sshadow, The Freezer and zdevilinside like this.
  8. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

I am looking forward to seeing this! Thank you very much for your efforts!

9. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

That will be awesome! Thanks man.