Microsoft is threatening to withhold Windows 11 updates if your CPU is old

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by Ghost, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    mircea likes this.
  2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

So the solution then would be for those older systems to install from pre-updated images to at least have security updates up till that point. Given that Win11's feature-set will be frozen for a year upon release, it would not have to be that big of an issue.

3. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

The only issue I see is the fact that there is a lot of older systems still being used today and those '2' articles are like - when do I have to obey you - LOL.

Yes there is a work around, but when will MS do that dirty deed and cut everyone off with a older system? .

The Freezer and mircea like this.
  4. 6100m

6100m Member

Honestly it's practically the entirety of "Get everyone on Windows 10 and screw over producitivity" all over again"

This time, this time I'm pretty certain there's going to be lawsuits like when people demanded their money back with Windows 95.

5. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

To add to this, the fact that Call Of Duty and Call of Duty WarZone is NOT supported in win 7 now, as I got a update last night viola error can not play it in win 7 any more, so I am stuck with having to move slowlyyy to win 10 for a daily OS now :mad:

6. Trouba

Yep, we're slowly getting pushed out the last true desktop OS (sort of)...

7. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Further bad news...

Bad news, VM fans: Windows 11 requirements strike again

By Joel Khalili 5 days ago

Many VMs running Windows 11 preview builds will no longer receive updates

[​IMG]
    (Image credit: Microsoft)

Microsoft has revealed that Windows 11 will no longer run on all virtual machine software following the latest early-access release.

In the changelog, the company explains the latest Windows 11 preview build is only compatible with VMs that feature TPM 2.0 protection, a requirement that also applies to laptops and PCs running the new OS.

As a result of the tweak, VMs currently running older Windows 11 preview builds will no longer receive updates. And new Windows 11 VMs created using incompatible virtualization services will not function as desired.

The announcement is not exactly unexpected, but will create consternation among those already put out by the Windows 11 hardware requirements.

Windows 11 on virtual machines

Currently, only a few VM services meet the necessary requirements to run the latest Windows 11 preview build and, by extension, the launch version set to land on October 5.

According to Microsoft, VMs created using the company’s own hypervisor (which comes bundled for free with Windows 10 Pro) will run Windows 11 just fine, provided they are set up as “Generation 2” VMs. And, anecdotally, VMware Workstation Pro is also said to meet the new TPM requirement.

However, it’s currently unclear whether other popular virtualization services - such as Oracle VirtualBox and Citrix Hypervisor - tick the necessary boxes.

TechRadar Pro has contacted both Citrix and Oracle to find out whether (and when) they will look to integrate TPM 2.0 support into their respective services. This article will be updated accordingly.

8. Trouba

Just as a follow-up on the above article:

Don’t worry, Oracle VirtualBox VMs actually will run Windows 11

If I'm reading this correctly, Oracle will provide both a TPM emulator (that would work regardless of the host hardware), as well as a pass-through driver that uses the actual TPM chip (when available on the host hardware mobo).

Glenn, mircea and bphlpt like this.
  9. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

LOL, emulation of the TPM security chip.... As though anything that can be emulated is secure... Another waste of resources.

Trouba likes this.
  10. Trouba

Hehe, for a few weeks now I've been having the feeling that someone is working on some kind of bootloader/emulator that might just bypass TPM for everyone :) Maybe that is not possible, and only is for VMs, but it did cross my mind :)

mircea likes this.
  11. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

It is very hard to do pre loader modifications, takes a kernel level piece of code to inject at boot time and as it's the security itself I doubt it will happen. But if you can clone a HDD that isn't bit encrypted, you can easily do what you want anyway. I think the security is seperate to locking down the OS to modification. The simpler the method to protect the less exploits can be found. If they keep layering security on top of other security methods then it will still only take one exploit to bypass it entirely.

Trouba likes this.