Need help with converting h264 RAW VIDEO to ..?

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Ghost, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Exactly, I have surveillance video I backed up and it is like this on my PC.

I need to convert it to a video that I can 'jump to' x time, any ideas?

Untitled.png

2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Did you try a simple free video converter app like Any Video Converter? Here is latest portable Ultimate version: https://dailyuploads.net/dkkuutt69ecb

It normally installs a driver, but since that's a portable it'll give you an error upon start but you can ignore it. It comes with keys to register (use the name given on top of txt file for user), or just use the free version. Not sure if it'll work in your particular case but I remember using this ages ago to do a similar thing.

00Proteus00 likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Well it took MANY clicks to get a download from the link and after a 11.~MB download it extracted to a 697MB .exe, after trying to install it, I had like 100 different apps installing, not sure why anyone has to click all over a site to download a file but this is the result ( plus the ever failed DING box poped up LOL ) this is beyond comprehensive

Untitled.png

4. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I had to do a system restore but all is good, here is the install . exe DO NOT RUN THIS ON A LIVE SYSTEM, do it in a VM! And watch what happens LOL

Attached Files:

5. Trouba

Damn, sorry, don't you have a hosts file or uBlock? I guess it had pop-up sites on your end but I never even see those :) I've used a warez site that uses DailyUpload and other filesharing sites (KaranPC.com) for years and because I always use hosts file and uBlock I never even realized some filesharing sites they use had pop-ups :D It's true that you need a trained eye to know what to click on some of those filesharing sites. They just stack it with referral links. In fact, I don't think it's actually the filesharing sites -- I think some warez sites use that as a shield because they expect you to be cunning enough not have uBlock and hosts file and other scripts when online :D

This is why I add hosts file with the Last7/8/10/11 builds always.

BTW there is an older AVC Ultimate in admin repo which probably works :)

6. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Yes Trouba, it was a flash back to when you had to 'know' what you are doing, I immediately knew what was up after the 3rd page load, I said self lets do this, it was funny to me and woke my brain up ;)

It was fun to hear all those DINGs than anything, I haven't heard things like this since back years ago when I was just starting to learn those sites have that cover-up scenario, which makes since (y)

Trouba likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Well the AVC Ultimate did not work, it ended in a this program stopped working error.

What is so special about this format that I can not get it to a level that I can jump to in the video, I actually need to cut the front end off of the video also as there was nothing there of interest, I need the 30 minutes of it out of XXX time, ugh, just strange that there is a 'raw video' format .h264 and I can not 'jump to a certain time' within the video.

8. Trouba

I had the same weird thing with a wmv file once, I could not jump to a location within the video. I hope you find a way to do this, the first surveillance system I had was some kind of Chinese cheapo with bad instructions and I remember getting files off there was a pain. I ended up recording the monitor with my phone and made that into a video LOL. I had some guy come here early in the morning trying to get into our cars *with a Walmart vest on, no less* -- just trying to make some extra money before his shift I guess. Never heard from the police again. Another time some local ahole pulled out of the dirt here stole an entire car from my yard. And then I had to pay to get it removed from the Sheriff-associated towing place so it actually cost me $200 and then had to have the car (he took the wheels off and a machine smashed it) removed from my yard. Luckily, an old guy wanted it for scrap so he did it for free. I can't wait to get the hell out of Texas LOL

9. Trouba

PS: Did you try the v7.1.3 I made into a portable (in admin)? It probably won't work either, then, but in case you tried v6.x from repo, the one I made last night is the current one and portable (licensed, I used Spoon Studio).

10. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Yes, I tried the 7.x.x ver., BUT I did manage to get a 'different' format from the system, I did not realize I had 2 choices. 1 .H264 AND .avi, well after copying the .avi viola! it was what I wanted from the start was to be able to 'jump to' X time.

So this issue is solved for me personally BUT the fact the a .H264 RAW VIDEO file is hard to convert ( I could not do it, no matter what I read and used ) is RIDICULOUS to have a format that you are just stuck with.

EDIT: Holy moly, I think I just figured it out DOH!

1 - .H264 is for - Linux based systems?

2 - .avi is for windows systems?

Because when I searched for .H264 convert with X app most of the search query was under superuser sites and Ubuntu type sites/info, there ya go LOL.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  11. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

h264 is a container, it's a form of compression (much like 7z) but it's a lossless format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

.avi is just a file extension and not a format at all, most .avi are either a type of mp4 or xvid or divx but they can be many others too. mkv are even better as you can have MANY formats inside of it's container (including audio and subtitles that stay in sync with the video streams). It's all very confusing but I learn a little bit watching my Dad program FileFacts (most file formats are very similar).

Trouba likes this.
  12. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Why don't you go to appz repo here and get Avidemux. I use that to edit (cut out parts like commercial ads and overlap recordings at start/end of video) and convert movies recorded from tv that typically have ~ 8GB size and are mpeg-4, after conversion are under 2GB.
    I convert into 'HEVC x265' (audio 'AAC (FDK)', the container of choice is 'mp4 muxer'. I have this notion that mp4 plays on pretty well everything.
    I suppose you can use Mpeg4 AVC (x264) but I think it makes bigger files than x265 codec but probably is more universal. Like if you want to play the video using TV or TVbox of some type, it is better to check first if it can decode x265 format.

Also when you need to find out about your video format, you can use MediaInfo from right click context menu which I also got from the appz repo.

upload_2021-9-22_23-26-8.png

upload_2021-9-22_23-28-48.png

upload_2021-9-22_23-29-58.png

Like you, I also looked at various video programs out there in the past but wasn't satisfied with any of them, then I looked on repo here and found Avidemux and never looked back. The name may be misleading, I believe the program started out for avi format only but it can do probably anything now even if the name stuck.

For cutting, I drag video position marker until I see ads, then I use arrow up/down to move less roughly by key-frames, then fine tune to the exact cut frame by arrow right/left (there is also a seeker pulled by mouse if that's your way). The program is fairly easy to figure out comparing how hard it can be with those various commercial programs (some I never figured out, I mean cutting video).

When done cutting, you can choose in menus 'Append Video' if you want to join another video to you edited one (it opens up for editing as the first one).
    When done editing, appending, on the left side of the vide is where you choose the Video Decoder which for me is 'HEVC (x265)', Audio 'AAC (FDK)' and Output Format 'MP4 MUXER' but you can try out some other ones. I can jump to any point in the videos and I believe you should also once you convert it.

-------
    For those various downloading sites, never vade in without protection LOL
    Again, repo here has Opera which includes ads filter of some sort and also prevents popups, it even works without you needing to switch it on.

This place https://portapps.io/apps/ has limited choice of portable apps but has some you don't find elsewhere. For browsers, it has portable Brave and Phyrox (that is Firefox). In those you can install uBlock Origin (if some sites still bother you) but Brave has Shields built in, Firefox probably has something too. I barely see any ads on even the most horrible websites, which includes those downloading ones.
    Opera portable can also be got on PortableApps.com, I like OperaGX which is a gamer's edition even if I am not a gamer, it has a nice interface, I like how they frame the webpage including its tab, so the tab is easily spotted if you have many tabs open.