Problems If Still Using VB6 Code. Does This Effect You, Freezer?

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by bphlpt, Sep 29, 2019.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I wasn't sure if anyone still uses any VB6, or not, but I saw this over at MSFN: (Posted on August 17th, so this info may be out of date. If so, then nevermind. :) )

=============================================

The KB4512482 update breaks apps made by Visual Basic 6 and certain macros using VBA no longer work correctly [known issue listed in MS KB article 4512482]

in other words, KB4512482 is a "buggy" security-only patch [glad I don't patch right away and wait for a few days for new patches to come out that are less problematic]

remove KB4512482 ASAP and install the newly released KB4517302 update instead (released 8/16), which fixes the Visual Basic breakage problems.

The Freezer and Glenn like this.
  2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

I'm not sure if it'd affect me. I do still use Office 2003 and its VBA for various macros. But as far as I can tell KB4512482 only affects "Windows Embedded 8 Standard" and "Windows Server 2012" (aka, "Windows Server 8"). Doesn't really say anything about Windows 8.1 which I use mainly now.

What's really troubling is that update (KB4512482 ) had broken two more "critical functions":
    • Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.
    • Devices that start up using Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) images from Windows Deployment Services (WDS) or System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) may fail to start with the error "Status: 0xc0000001, Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" after installing this update on a WDS server.
    Who needs malware when an MS security update can break it for you instead. :what:

3. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Yeah, MS really does a "fine" job these days with fully testing their updates before releasing them, don't they? And some folks wonder why some of us have gotten leery about applying any updates over the last couple of years unless we've proven that it fixes a problem we're having AND there are absolutely NO reports of it breaking anything else.

4. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

bphlpt likes this.