Re:How do I create a custom preset Last XP iso build with Last XP v22 Builder??

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Botz&Bitz, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Botz&Bitz

Botz&Bitz New Member

Hello LOS forum members,

I would like to use the LastXP custom ISO creation utility on the LastXP v22 ISO;being a "NOOB" when customizing windows setup sources...how would/should i use this LOS utility to create a custom LastXP ISO from a "plain vanilla" NT 5.2 setup source (other than Last XP ISO source) or from the LastXP i386 folder setup source with included LastXP sources:SetupSApps,ppAppsInstalls ??:unsure::unsure::emoji_grey_question::emoji_grey_question:

Any replies greatly appreciated!!

B&B

2. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

From what I remember about the 'tool' is it will copy the full DVD from a physical disk onto you PC or in a CD size.

Basically everything on the v22 LxP is so old that just removing all the apps you do not want is about it, other than changing the images that you see while it is installing, most applications today do not support Win XP at all and I say 'MOST', BUT there is still those apps that still support Win XP.

Not sure what you want to change within it, but it can be done with very limited reason because of the age of Win XP.

3. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

XP was released in 2001, mainstream support ended in 2009, and extended support ended in 2014.

As you can see from Ghost's reply, we haven't used that tool, LastXP custom ISO creation utility, ourselves very much lately, or any tool for that matter, to create a "new" install for XP. We love that LastXP is still known and folks still have interest in it, especially new users. But right now, creating custom OS install material for XP is NOT a task I would suggest starting out on as a "NOOB," for several reasons.

First, as Ghost stated above, consider what exact software you want/need to run. As he said, many, if not most, software with recent updates no longer officially support XP. There are sometimes ways around software install problems, such as if the problem is an artificial one where only the installer has been crippled, but again, that's not necessarily an easy task for a "NOOB." An older version of the software might work for you, or there might be a different piece of software that does what you want that does support XP, but your choices will be much more limited for XP than for more modern OS. One of the biggest software problems you will have is finding a browser that will meet your needs. The choices are EXTREMELY limited, with too many issues to go into here.

Second, and more problematic in my mind, is consider your hardware. If you have older hardware, maybe even 10 - 15 years old or more, ie hardware from back in the XP era, you might have a better chance of getting the OS to boot and the software to run. But newer hardware might be a MAJOR problem due to a lack of drivers.

And that doesn't even consider games that you might want to play. Yes, some older games might not work on newer hardware and OS and actually "need" XP to run, but you are probably more likely to want to to play a newer game that doesn't have XP drivers. And the necessary game pads or controllers... ?

So, what to do? You could abandon your idea and just run a more modern OS, tweak it with LastOS tweaks for the look and function you want, and install apps from our repository. Many games, even older ones, are available, such as the Game packs you can find here, that will run quite well on such a system. If you have older hardware, and your software needs are within certain limits, then install a version of LastXP that you like, such as LastXP v22, and play with the modifications you are able to make, such as wallpapers or whatever, while you try to learn more about software and OS modification in general. By all means, experiment with the LastXP custom ISO creation utility to see what you can learn to do with it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what documentation, if any, is available to help you out.

If you really want to run XP, there are other options available. One I would suggest checking out is the project by George King over at MDL - XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer. George is working on creating installers for XP (x32 and x64), Win Server 2003, etc, all versions and all languages, that will install on both older and newer hardware. It is somewhat early in it's development, but it shows promise. [WARNING: From what I've read, certain hardware, from certain manufacturers, might have installation problems, drivers etc, that are just not able to be overcome, at least not in the foreseeable future. Some motherboard features might not work, and add-in cards might be required for some functions.] Even if George is able to come up with a solution that works on the hardware that you want to use, you will still have to deal with the software issues this post began with.

We're not trying to totally discourage you. Many of us, myself included, prefer to use Win 7, so the time is quickly approaching that we'll be in the same boat you are regarding XP, as certain software and hardware are no longer supported by the OS we want to use. We just wanted to lay out the realities for you , as we understand them today.

mircea and The Freezer like this.