Releases

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Glenn, Sep 10, 2015.

1. 6100m

6100m Member

Speaking of which, I had a driver kernel for my ASUS EEE PC 1001P in the works, however family issues and I cant use the laptop anymore lol

But I did plan to have it work with sswpi + I lost the code tho ;(

2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Another question about the AutoInstall/Preset ini-files. What is the significance of the numeral in front of the pipe-character "|"? I had assumed it had something to do with priority / order of install, for example:

1|WinRAR
    1|7-Zip​

ssWPI installs them in alphabetical order (based on the title field in the app-file): 7-Zip then WinRAR. But if I wanted WinRAR installed before 7-Zip without altering the title in the app-file, I thought I'd have to do this:

1|WinRAR
    2|7-Zip
    But as far as I can tell ssWPI simply ignores anything other than "1" (which seems to include the preset.ini in this behavior) :what:

And here's what I mean about not hiding already installed -- those "checked" keep showing up in the to be installed list no matter how many times they get "re-installed". I've check the .app file but I don't really see anything different than the others that do hide after being installed. Weird.
    VirtualBox_Last9-WinBlue_01_05_2020_09_28_19.png

Also, an unrelated bug with ssWPI, it'll crash sometimes (not all the time) when it gets minimized either by the minimize button, via taskbar, or Win+D.
    VirtualBox_Last9-WinBlue_23_04_2020_09_03_06.png

3. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Freezer, did you encounter this crash with any of the earlier v20 versions? I was still using v17 on my Win7 images (work perfectly) but I was thinking of which version to include to update the AppDisc Template.

4. The Freezer

No, I don't think I ever encountered that error with the earlier v20's -- well, I don't remember getting it before Glenn updated v20 with those minor changes for me. But I'm not sure how much I worked with an earlier v20 -- like you I had at first been working with v17 instead. After all, they were your images I was working from. ;)

I did find out that even though SetupS (via ssControlPanel) is weak on post-install Startmenu sorting, ssWPI does a much better job at it than what SetupS/ssControlPanel does by itself. Which is interesting because ssWPI does use SetupS/ssControlPanel. :what:

5. Trouba

I guess I could just use the latest version and see what happens, but I'd hate to use a version with known bugs. I couldn't really find a version history that was current, so I'm not sure what was actually added or fixed in later editions. All I know is I never have a problem using v17 for what I need it to do, but then I only use it to install apps. I'm not sure but wasn't v17 a version that came out before the online Repo code was introduced?

I was thinking maybe I should make an .exe to place on the desktop of new installs or else in the start menu itself (in our automated images) to make it easy and recognizable for people who might otherwise overlook sorting the menu. Menu sorting has no problem right after fresh install, most of the time. I think it's during firstlogon phase when all the last stuff is getting installed that it has an issue running then. Then again I could try making it the last script command in the $Scripts folder and see if that works (EDIT: I may have tried the latter already.)

One thing I do notice that might confuse people new to sorting and SetupS in general, is that when you initiate the start menu sorting, it takes a while for any message to pop up. So they might not know something is happening and either try it again or start doing stuff that may interfere with the sorting. Perhaps a popup that says "Start Menu sorting is initializing" that comes up right away after application might help?

6. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I do remember this same error in the builder back then also, I just can not remember what the fix was back then, same out of range crap, when min/max the app itself it would throw that error.

It is easy to fix but darn :(

Trouba likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I am grabbing the newest ssWPI and xojo to see if I can find that fix, it seems it ported over from Real Studio.

Trouba likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Well Houston I have a problem, seems XOJO is not like Real Studio, BUT I do see the issue ( is it the fix? we can find out )

The error says height/width needs to be in the range 1 - 32767, it is actually set on both of those to 32000, there is the issue, above 32000 it will error for the width.

So the fix is ...

1) set the width to 0 and height to 0, yes can fix it ( would 0 be anything it was scaled to without issues, say like infinity with no set limit? )

2) set the width and height to a higher scale level to say like 40000 on both? This raises the scale level up with a true number.

See the image below and it makes since and it shows where this parameter is to change to find if it fixes it.
    https://ibb.co/Vg2cqtk

EDIT: I got the version of ssWPI that Freeze showed the error in above, but I am not sure if there is any other code within that would over ride the 32000 ?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Trouba likes this.
  9. Trouba

Hopefully that will fix it, and I hope Freezer has no trouble triggering that error so he can check it. It's always hard to check for an error NOT occurring when the error only occurs sporadically, because you're never sure whether it's actually fixed or not :)

Running it on Win7 I see, good job :D

10. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Not sure what system he was using ( Freeze ) but I am sure there is more to it than the few things I pointed out, as I found that ssWPI has more 'windows' that have the same properties as the main window, ugh, it just can not be simple at all can it.

I did notice he was using Windows 9 9.600 ( WOW ), just curious if he can use the same setup and get that same error ( maybe in debug mode )

But as you seen Trouba I am using Win 7 and I did not get the error as much as I would have liked it to happen, just like the builder back in the days had it with the graphics in it, Minimize and Maximize had something to do with it back then.

ssWPI in XOJO is Greek to me LOL

11. Trouba

I'm wondering at this point what the really important fixes and/or features that the later versions of ssWPI are. Because if we could go back to an earlier version without losing important features, maybe that would be better. I have been out of the loop where it comes to changes regarding ppGames and launchers, I have very little knowledge about that aspect of it. I do know at some point Glenn added a features of explorer refresh, based on the little explorer refresh exe Glenn and I made (well, I had the idea, Glenn coded it), and that was a useful feature when installing certain apps but I could live without it. This may have been implemented on a later version, not the v17 I had been using :D Not sure why I stuck with that version of ssWPI, I think it was just in my Win7 builder folder and I never bothered updating it because it worked so well. I did update SetupS in the Tools folder of course.

12. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Use what works, that is all I can ask :)

13. Trouba

Yeah, but that's the question isn't it: which one is good? Maybe since I'm trying to update the "AppDisc" and apps install well through it, v17 is fine :) But it's so many versions back compared to what is there...

14. The Freezer

Hey T -

I wouldn't worry about it too much as I am now pretty certain that I only got that error with ssWPI v20.4.21.0 running it via VirtualBox. Both Last 9 and Last X installed on a real systems don't throw those errors. I think it might have something to do with the low resolution I would set it at on VirturalBox to get those screen-shots. Probably is an actual bug though as it shouldn't do that regardless but I doubt anyone would encounter it on real-world rig. :)

Trouba likes this.
  15. Trouba

That makes a lot of sense! Okay, thanks a lot Freezer (y)