RyanVM might be closing

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by bphlpt, Oct 20, 2019.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Ryan has been overwhelmed lately with spam posts on his phpBB based forum, so is thinking of just chucking the whole thing and shutting it down. So for any of you who have ever visited RyanVM, please go here - https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22279 - and post your thoughts. TIA

=========================================

posted by RyanVM:

Hey all, after logging in today for the first time in awhile and seeing over 10,000 spam posts awaiting moderation and seeing very little in the way of new posts lately, it's got me thinking long and hard about whether it's worth keeping this site alive anymore. I'm strongly considering making everything read-only and stopping new registrations.

It's been a heck of a run, but all things eventually come to an end. I'll give it a couple days to think it over more. Let me know if you have a reason to strongly object.

2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like they need a different/new setup if he wants to keep going. Personally it has been years since I visited the site. Places like MDL have been more fruitful for me regarding OS updates, scripts, etc. In the early days I would frequent RyanVM for silent installers but that was longgg ago :) Places on the darknet have various ways of preventing spam attacks, like a 50 post newbie minimum in a designated area before being able to get into other areas of the forum, advanced captchas, etc. Maybe something to look into for them.

3. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I, and others, have told him that, among other possibilities, I'm just asking for others to also post at RyanVM to give Ryan some encouragement and add their voices to the suggestions. It would be a shame to lose a site with the years of shared knowledge that are there.

Cheers and Regards

4. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I seam to have forgotten my password for it, my user is LiveFreeDead, but that is all I know now. Sorry, but it's obvious that I would also agree that the site should remain as Read Only for new users and old users can continue posting, if they ever spam, delete their usernames and posts.

5. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

I have only been there a few times however from my experience with phpBB its actually fairly easy to tone down the spam. I am not sure what the new registration/posting limits are but when I get a chance I will see if I can register there and post a few suggestions. I would hate to see any site close because of that.

6. SSJ9KDylan

SSJ9KDylan Guest

I love that website!

7. 6100m

6100m Member

I play with it usually when I mess around with XP. I made like a extremely barbaric 50gb update pack the same day so that was interesting.
    Darcy Ripper can dump it I think.

8. 6100m

6100m Member

Nevertheless though, I'll miss it. It was my one chance to get into XP modding..