Server(s) status / updates

Discussion in 'LastOS News' started by The Freezer, Sep 16, 2019.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Just a heads up...

Today I"ll be working on some more upgrades and tweaks for the Vergitek server. This may affect some links and content that are posted on LastOS.

Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  2. The Freezer

Nearly done. Just needs to restore the torrent seeding.

EDIT --
    ... and done.​

bphlpt likes this.
  3. The Freezer

And in Bluehost news, still no "notifications" ;)

Trouba likes this.
  4. The Freezer

Regarding our recent outage here at LastOS.org...

Ghost had determined that PHP 7.3 and higher was causing the server error "lockout". I too suspected the PHP version was the culprit; but sadly -- and unhelpfully as it turned out -- the Bluehost cPanel versions listed PHP 5.6 as the server's engine:
    cPanel 86.0 (build 32)
    Apache 2.4.46
    PHP 5.6.40
    MySQL 5.6.41-84.1
    Perl 5.30.0​

So upon inspecting the file ~/public_html/.htaccess file, I discovered it initially declares PHP 5.6 as default then later sets PHP 7.3 as the actual engine:
    Code:
    # Use PHP5.6 as default
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php56 .php

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteOptions inherit

<Files "config.php">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from All
    </Files>

<Files "common.php">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from All
    </Files>

<Files ".htaccess">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from All
    </Files>

# php -- BEGIN cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
    # Set the “ea-php73” package as the default “PHP” programming language.
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php73 .php
    <IfModule mime_module>
    </IfModule>
    # php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit

Which might be why it was confusingly showing PHP 5.6 being used yet it was really employing the 7.3 engine. :what:

Fortunately setting our PHP to 5.6 (under "Programming, PHP Configuration" in the cPanel), seems to have fixed it by making it the only default PHP engine. And just to confirm what Ghost found out, I tried setting PHP to 7.3 and immediately got the "lockout" server error. That appears to have been the issue all along.

Presently I've got it set to PHP 7.2.34 without any problems (so far). Hopefully it'll buy us more time with our current XenForo v1.5 :)

Curiously this is what I found on Wikipedia about PHP:
    And much like Windows 9, it seems PHP 6 never actually existed. :coffee:

Michael740, bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  5. Michael740

Michael740 Guest

OH Okay that was what was going on ;);) I was just going to do the Downloads for the ssApps. ppApps, ppGames & Template but the links are broke in the Template page and oh I can't remember off hand :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_thumbsup:But this is what he was saying see what happens when you dig a little. You know back in the day I used to build a few Websites and I had to stuff all that stuff together and they all had built-in Forums now it's way easier to just have the Forum and no Site to take care of as if PHP wasn't enough. You all do a great job here and I do want to say Thanks Again All :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_thumbsup:

That old Rock & Roll Dude Michael Moore :cool:
    PS and as I look at the page a little closer I see this cPanel 86.0 (build 32)
    Apache 2.4.46 PHP 5.6.40 MySQL 5.6.41-84.1 Perl 5.30.0 The flashback starts of doing all that to build a website with Forums. Oh what fun,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2020
    Trouba likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

7. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Fixed the *cough war cough* also

8. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

By the way, thanks to whoever made the Repo page work again. Can it do dark theme/background?

9. The Freezer

Yes, but I was only able to find a couple. It uses something called Bootstrap for the themes and I've currently set it to "Cyborg". The theme before, "Yeti", was nice but you needed sunglasses to view it. :cool:

I was also able to set the repo(s) to using PHP 5.6 -- the rest of the LastOS site is on PHP 7.2. So for now, at least until Bluehost "improves" things again, I've set the links to using the old Directory Lister (DLv3). But both DLv3 or DLv4 can be utilized simply by using slightly different links:
    DLv3: ./list.php?dir=&sort=date&order=desc
    DLv4: ./index.php?order=modified&sort=desc​

DLv5 is the same as DLv4 only it works with PHP 7.1 and higher. In case we're shoehorned into using PHP 7.2 again...

bphlpt likes this.
  10. Trouba

The Repo page looks just like the old version again now? I thought you had to go with an entirely different solution or something.

11. The Freezer

Yeah well, I hacked adjusted those pages back into using PHP 5.6 again ;)

bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  12. Trouba

Cool! Nothing like home sweet home

13. The Freezer

At least until Bluehost figures out what I did and "re-adjusts" to eliminate the loop-hole I used. LOL

In the meantime, I'll keep working on improving DLv4/5

Trouba likes this.
  14. Trouba

Thanks for all your work, Freezer