Some glitches in apz repository extensions

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by vanTorX, Jul 26, 2020.

1. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I downloaded the whole repository and found that several files had somehow 'inherited' an extension from their name.

Adobe.AIR.Runtime_v32.0.0.125_ssApp.air
    Doro.PDF.Writer_v2.11_ssApp.pdf
    MediaHuman.YouTube.to.MP3.Converter_v3.9.9.35.0204_ppApp.mp3
    MS.XML.Parser_v4.0-SP3_ssApp.xml
    Nitro.PDF.Reader_v5.5.6.21_x64_ssApp.pdf
    Nitro.PDF.Reader_v5.5.6.21_x86_ssApp.pdf
    Sumatra.PDF.Reader_v3.1.2_ppApp.pdf
    SysTools.EML.Viewer_v4.0.0_ppApp.mht

No problem here, I just changed the extension to 7z

BTW some apz downloaded with extension .apz, not 7z which I believe is OK, except that I can only hope that none of the above was actually meant to have .apz instead of .7z I gave them. But again, no big problem given I am aware of that. Just thought to post about this to give you heads up so to speak.

No idea why that happens. It is as if some program you use to make these ready detects the known file extension kinds in the file's name and appends them accordingly. Maybe the 7z program you use to wrap up the files does that?

Another thing I thought to mention - IDM can't download apz that have '&' symbol included their name, but no big issue either, there are only seven of those.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

you can hold shift when you click to save the ones with & symbols, or better yet you can right click the app and save target as. This will bypass IDM.

They should ALL be .apz and not .7z, ssWPI and SetupS doesn't handle .7z files by default, so best change them to that. you can use the save target as to make it have the .apz extension usually. I use chrome and haven't had the rename extension issue myself, the php code was tricky to get working, I wouldn't know how to make it work better than it does sorry.

3. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

You're right, now that you said that, I went to check and last year's downloaded repo has .apz extensions. Also checked that if I download manually, the files do have .apz extension.

I will use rename program to fix it, just wonder why it happens that nearly all files bar few apz listed above have .7z extension in my download of the repo. I suppose the Internet Download Manager did it. Luckily I didn't get to installing yet from this download, else I would be scratching my head why it won't import into the SetupS installer. :eek:

Otherwise, as I said, no biggie, not complaining, just bringing it to attention if that was some oversight, which as it turns up, it is not.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020